Votes: 28 7.1%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 92 23.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Langford (and O’Sullivan) is Acres. Link player not a prime mover. Blake took a while to find feet also but is now pretty serviceable. IMO.

Impact and burst are Lalor, Smith or Smillie. The others are link players. I’d still trade back if the option appears but it would need to be criminally good offer.
I love Acres, but his kicking and decision making is nowhere near the level of Langford.

Think we'd take Smith if he's on the board. I don't see Draper being anywhere near the poor kick he's made out to be, so I think he'd be a fine choice. I'm warming a bit to FOS, but it's all merely projection, compares to the confidence I'd have with Smith or Draper. Langford looks nice, though I worry with the bigger lads being difficult to assess how they will transition into AFL and I suspect Langford will struggle.

I haven't watched Murphy Reid yet, perhaps that will fill some of my downtime this week.
What does "struggle" mean?

Because of what missing trait exactly?

To digress, he looks extremely good overhead too - easily play him as a 3rd tall too.

To digress, he looks extremely good overhead too - easily play him as a 3rd tall too.

He does look good overhead I agree.

My point as I stated is I think it's difficult to assess. Will he be good overhead against AFL bodies? Do traits develop in a linear trajectory, ot does his bigger frame accentuate these traits due to the difference in size?

I think it's an open question, an ultimately not a very fair assessment of a young draftee, but it's true to what I think.

I haven't spent much time looking at the top kids but this Langford kid looks exceptional - simply a beautiful, very smart (often too smart for his team mates) user of the ball.

Surely, would be hard to go past him.

Looks the type who's ready to play round 1 too.

Looks a RIPPER - be keen to hear why others think other kids are a better option at 3?

View attachment 2150777

Knows how to find the pill too (ball magnet).
I didn't realise he's a local from down my way - from the Mt Martha Junior Footy Factory. It's amazing the number of AFL players they've produced in recent years, and they don't even have a senior team!!!

How's this lot?
  • Jacob Weitering
  • Lachie Whitfield
  • Tom De Koning
  • Sam De Koning
  • Hunter Clark
  • Nic Newman
  • Cooper Simpson
  • Billy Hartung

If Langford happens to be selected at pick 1, it'll be the third number 1 draft pick they've produced over the past decade or so.

Yeah it's odd. Pendles wasn't even slow coming out. 3.01 20m sprint when 10th this year was a 2.98.

Cripps was 3.23 Bont 3.20.

By comparison jagga Smith 3.04. 'slower' than pendles.
I’ve always thought Pendles was slow, so slow that no one ever, seems to be able to catch him, one of life’s mysteries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other aspect I like is that he's a goal kicker and capable of a contested mark.

A goal kicking mid is something we haven't had since prime Murphy.

I’ve always thought Pendles was slow, so slow that no one ever, seems to be able to catch him, one of life’s mysteries
Him, Sam Mitchell, Dane swan. These guys not fast. Not slow. Elusive strong etc. Just think these are the sorts you go after. Pure footballers. Too much stock into being 0.02 seconds faster over 20m. Meaningless if you can read the play and be on the move before your opponent has reacted. I think Cerra has some of those traits but just no where near enough. Would love that midfield general this draft. Direct setups, read the play, kick and handball with vision....

Flankers need leg speed. Midfielders need vision.

Good article - i really like when there’s that level of understanding of what he has to do & the work/standard required.
Has he got the talent to make an impact?
Pity that it sounds like he’s more at home forward than down back

Good article - i really like when there’s that level of understanding of what he has to do & the work/standard required.
Has he got the talent to make an impact?
Pity that it sounds like he’s more at home forward than down back
I like him and would love us to give him a go, would love to see Charlie roaming the forward line as a mobile 3rd tall forward.

I’m warming up to Langford now

First and foremost, I want some surety with #3

So, Smith then Langford are my top priorities

FOS - Low possessions are a big put off. He may be impacted by injuries, but how much?

Draper - kicking is just not great

Lalor - gone by our pick & hopefully, FOS too

Last edited:
Looking at Langford’s highlights package.

He doesn’t seem slow, just not the explosive type of midfielder that everyone seems to think would add to our current midfield mix.

Seems like he is a good decision maker, can create space and an elite user.

Reminds me of Jordan Dawson

I posted a while ago in one of the champs games I was watching, he's a better than average midfielder but "when he got shifted to the forward line he ripped the game a new one".
He's one heck of a powerful mark nearly squeezes the air out of the ball, and he knows where the goals are.
One of the better decision makers and disposers in this draft imo, there's a lot to like.👍

I do not like that article. Read take me back Magpies, I have mates there and I am ready to go. Would be an excellent fit.

I want him, almost desperately to be rookied by us. Would not necessarily be against a main list spot if Lucas sneaks through to the rookie draft. Lemmey is a work in progress and no guarantee to make it, or to be a better forward than back.
Opportunity may be short in our forward mix, although I believe he could co-exist with Harry and Charlie.

The absolutely perfect age demographic for depth and development behind Harry and Charlie, and I expect in a couple of years he will absolutely be an AFL key forward. I can see where other clubs with more immediate needs would be attractive to Liam.

I just see him as a perfect list piece, and would definitely give scope for Lemmey to develop back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back