Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 94 23.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that the Bombers delisted one of the Davey twins. 2 very similar players who haven't shown a lot and with list spots tight one had to go due to Kako coming in.

The Campos at least seem to be different types of players. There is a risk taking F&S just because they are. Despite this I think it is crazy how far they seem to have dropped off the radar.
I would hope that we wouldn’t be looking at them if they weren’t F/S. The only reason I think we should is Ben might come cheap if he lasts until the 40’s and with Walkers son looking so promising we probably have to not let him have second thoughts.

This is a bit disingenuous from you: timed speed from a dead start in a testing environment is not the same as consistency of performance on game day across a season, across a junior career. Sometimes the day and conditions are right and it confirm what you see on tape, sometimes it causes concern. This is a nothing result.
Hallelujah Jim, totally agree. The standing sprint is just an indicator if you have basic leg speed, but nothing much else.

I'd be highly disappointed if our players were standing dead still while the ball is in play. Acceleration from a standing start is not the same as when you're already in motion.

Similar with the 2km time trial. The old beep test is a better indicator imo - which better simulates match day where players rack up the km's through a series of efforts, not just a single effort over a specific distance.

Hallelujah Jim, totally agree. The standing sprint is just an indicator if you have basic leg speed, but nothing much else.

I'd be highly disappointed if our players were standing dead still while the ball is in play. Acceleration from a standing start is not the same as when you're already in motion.

Similar with the 2km time trial. The old beep test is a better indicator imo - which better simulates match day where players rack up the km's through a series of efforts, not just a single effort over a specific distance.
Nah the 2km is a better indicator than the beep test for sure.

Beep test you spend 70% of it moving at a lower speed than you’d ever be moving on a footy field

2km is a good physical and mental test. Wouldn’t mind them switching to a 3x1km on a timed interval but the beep is used for school kids due to affordability and ease, not a good fit for elite sport

Love a good old fashioned champ off

giphy.gif

I posted a while ago in one of the champs games I was watching, he's a better than average midfielder but "when he got shifted to the forward line he ripped the game a new one".
He's one heck of a powerful mark nearly squeezes the air out of the ball, and he knows where the goals are.
One of the better decision makers and disposers in this draft imo, there's a lot to like.👍
Love a good lefty (kick) too.

Bit like tennis players, good lefties are special...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford is a more powerful kick here and now and gets more ball speed that makes him more deadly when kicking over 40 metres, but to decry Smith as not being elite with the ball in hand is absolutely ridiculous.

You're making him sound like Richard Tambling. Smith will put on a bit of size very quickly, he's almost got the body of a marathon runner at the moment, and it shows in his work rate and time trials.

I expect Smith to get notably quicker and more agile in an elite program, and that's saying something because he's already zipping about.

In our midfield mix, he's not going to get enough time and he's going to get scragged. He will break more tackles than Kennedy, but he won't break or escape as many as Cripps.

I like him, but I think he will be made to look a lot more ordinary a lot more often at AFL level. Expecting him to slide, and at this point Twomey would be the only one who is big on his draft rating, probably because he'd love him at Essendon.

You can see how hampered he is there by hip and hamstring concerns. Broke through tackles because he's probably over 90 kgs playing against kids, but he needs to trim down and do more focused conditioning work.

As for Dusty MK II, I think there's a Stingrays player a little outside the top 10 who plays a lot like Dustin too, but I'm sure Richmond are keeping quiet about that so he's there for one of their later picks. :)

Smith is a good ball user. I would define elite for those that can both lower the eyes and hit up short passes, while also having penetration at 50+ meters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back