Votes: 29 7.3%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 94 23.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

According to what? Langford is a genuine tractor out there, combine results only confirmed that for most.

The eye test, but again, I don’t think we’d be picking him up for his “speed”, it’d most definitely be for his kicking and ability to rest forward and kick a goal.

All things being equal, there’s no doubt in my mind that Austin’s top 3 is

• FOS
  • Smith
  • Draper

In no particular order.

I won't be adding him to the poll either. If there was a single player worthy of nuking Nick Austin's office over a selection it would be Harvey Langford. Almost identical to Kennedy athletically, but with better disposal... A player we just pushed out the door for a packet of twisties.

I rate him as a player, but it would be an absolutely diabolical move to have sold the farm including trading out multiple senior players and multiple picks for a 5% upgrade on Bam Bam.

We need speed. Repeat sprint efforts. Austin's already confirmed as much in his interviews luckily.

I find it absolutely insane to think anyone's arguing otherwise after watching our flock of tractors getting burnt in transition all year long.
This. I said this before but Langford could become the best player in the draft but it just makes no sense to give up so much to move up the draft, to then draft that type of player

The eye test, but again, I don’t think we’d be picking him up for his “speed”, it’d most definitely be for his kicking and ability to rest forward and kick a goal.

All things being equal, there’s no doubt in my mind that Austin’s top 3 is

• FOS
  • Smith
  • Draper

In no particular order.
I get the whole footy IQ>speed argument and in many instances it's a fair outlook... But our midfield and team as a whole is just so hamstrung by players borderline running backwards they're that slow in terms of looking for open options around the ground.

Same reason I wasn't as love struck with Houston when he became a possibility, we have some great ball users in our backline already, it's the lack of options with the ability to create separation in our midfield and forward line that means our half backs have to kick down the line too often for our own good.

Injecting some speed and genuine line breaking runners would completely change our ability all around the ground. Same reason I'm hoping Wilson can break into our b23 next year.

This. I said this before but Langford could become the best player in the draft but it just makes no sense to give up so much to move up the draft, to then draft that type of player
Thankfully Austin has mentioned speed and a bit of dynamism is at the top of our priority list in the draft. Also why he traded up so high to have access to the top line mids rather than in that 5-10 range where a Reid, Smillie, Langford type should be available.

I'm most curious about what we'll be targeting with our second pick, a KPD? More speed? A small forward? There's some very good options for all 3 needs at that 30-40 range.

Hinges on where Ben is bid on though

According to what? Langford is a genuine tractor out there, combine results only confirmed that for most.
Pretty harsh analysis of Langford, his strength is good decision making & elite left foot ,good overhead, different attributes to some of the fancied players on here.

Although having quickness is important for us, equally important are quality skills and decision making.
Not sure on the relevance on the comparison to Kennedy, Bont & Pendles are not quick but elite decision makers and always have time.

Although l believe Smith & Draper are more suitable, l would not be at all disappointed with Langford, he may very well be one of best in this draft.

Not sure if I’m on my own here but I’m confused where the all plaudits for FOS come from. I’m not an expert and have only the various YouTube vision to go from…but I just don’t see it. I know he’s had his injuries and there’s the Walsh connection.

Can someone please point me in the direction of footage that shows elements of why FOS is considered a possible no.1 selection as a midfielder?

Although having quickness is important for us, equally important are quality skills and decision making.
Not sure on the relevance on the comparison to Kennedy, Bont & Pendles are not quick but elite decision makers and always have time.

Although l believe Smith & Draper are more suitable, l would not be at all disappointed with Langford, he may very well be one of best in this draft.
Mike Myers No GIF

We're moving on from the tractor gang because we get torched in transition and have no ability to create separation in our midfield... Not because we struggle to win the ball or make good decisions.

Spending pick 3 on Harvey Langford after all the other list moves we've made would be absolutely mind blowing. And that's not to say he can't play.

Hi all. A question if I may.

With our pick, is there any of FOS, Smith, Lalor, Langford or even Reid that you would be concerned about if we selected them? If so, why?
To put it another way, are there any Paddy Dow's among them?
Personally, I think the chance of us getting it wrong is extremely low.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

FOS and Lalor both high risk high reward. Both types that you usually only get at the top of the draft so likely who Austin has in mind when trading up.

Judging by the last few pages.

Is it curtains for Draper?

I would say definitely not inside our real war room at the club. Draper would have to be at the pointy end of calculations. We have made all the moves we have made in order to help our team NOW, and in the future too in one hit. We need a faster elite mid who can play in finals in the next 5 finals series, and then beyond.

I don't think any of us are knocked out by what FOS has shown this year, but ALL recruiters love him. We probably should take the hint.

Him, Draper,Lalor and maybe Smith can ADD to our midfield now, with what it hasn't got.

We didn't just say no to Houston and forget about THIS side. The LM and Footy Dept would have made a considered decision that they can help THIS team more with an elite young burst mid.

IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike Myers No GIF

We're moving on from the tractor gang because we get torched in transition and have no ability to create separation in our midfield... Not because we struggle to win the ball or make good decisions.

Spending pick 3 on Harvey Langford after all the other list moves we've made would be absolutely mind blowing. And that's not to say he can't play.
If Smith & Fos go first two the options become more open with Draper & Langford and Lalor in the mix.
We don't have a elite ball user or decision maker like a Pendlebury has been in our midfield mix.

Draper is leagues ahead of Dow at stoppage and in terms of pace.

It's derivative to say Draper fast, so Draper Dow, so Draper fail.
I agree.

Draper bounces laterally to space out of a stoppage before putting the burners on.

Dow never did that. Dow spent too much time on all fours, scrambling for the ball instead of reading it off hands. Still liked Dow, not a bad player at all but....

zero comparison to Draper.

If Smith & Fos go first two the options become more open with Draper & Langford and Lalor in the mix.
We don't have a elite ball user or decision maker like a Pendlebury has been in our midfield mix.
I genuinely don't think Pendlebury would make a significant difference to our midfield mix right now. We need spread and speed. Repeat sprint efforts. Defensive pressure outside the contest.

Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Hewett do enough as it stands to get by with their ball use, but outside of Walsh none are capable of running an opponent into the ground or getting back to help the defense rebound the ball and plug holes. Even Walsh hasn't been able to do that as much of late due to the lack of pre season preparation and injury concerns.

Respect your takes Walshy, but I don’t get that comparison at all tbh.

He’s quicker (not by a huge amount but definitely quicker), his gut running is way way better, his kicking is not even comparable to Bam Bam.

I think we are being fooled by him not being as “fast” as your Smiths, Draper etc, but his skills and I’d argue footy smarts make up for it imo.
Matt Kennedy is a pretty good endurance runner. And intervals. Just not fast. I would expect he would keep up with Langford in most running pursuits.

Whatever happens and whoever we end up taking at 3.... I'm soooo looking forward to the 'I told ya' 'coulda' 'shoulda' 'I wish we' conversations over the next 5 years...

Bit like ‘why did we let setterfield go’ or Stocker or Dow or Fisher.

And then next year it’ll be Owies and Kennedy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure if I’m on my own here but I’m confused where the all plaudits for FOS come from. I’m not an expert and have only the various YouTube vision to go from…but I just don’t see it. I know he’s had his injuries and there’s the Walsh connection.

Can someone please point me in the direction of footage that shows elements of why FOS is considered a possible no.1 selection as a midfielder?
Check out his games last year.

FOS looked slick in his VFL game with the Tiggers. Only got it 12 times, but he laid tackles, importantly broke tackles-something he was struggling to do in the Coates League—and kicked two very good goals. He was evasive and smooth. He would slot into our half forward line from Round 1 working alongside Lij.

Fair assessment, who are you wanting at pick 3, windows?
Lalor looks superb to me. If they were happy they could deal with his injuries he would be 1 for me.

I go back and forth on FOS but some of his footy last year was sensational. I have him at 2.

I love the way Smith plays. Energizer bunny. I think everyone thinks “Butters” when they see him for the first time. He can’t kick as well as Zac and won’t be as hard. But he’s super smart. I am surprised he doesn’t kick more goals- he’s slippery as hell and very quick around corners and in tights spaces.

Any of the 3 and I’ll be delighted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back