Votes: 29 7.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 95 23.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I won't be adding him to the poll either. If there was a single player worthy of nuking Nick Austin's office over a selection it would be Harvey Langford. Almost identical to Kennedy athletically, but with better disposal... A player we just pushed out the door for a packet of twisties.

I rate him as a player, but it would be an absolutely diabolical move to have sold the farm including trading out multiple senior players and multiple picks for a 5% upgrade on Bam Bam.

We need speed. Repeat sprint efforts. Austin's already confirmed as much in his interviews luckily.

I find it absolutely insane to think anyone's arguing otherwise after watching our flock of tractors getting burnt in transition all year long.

Respect your opinion but calling people insane for having an opinion is a bit OTT

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Respect your opinion but calling people insane for having an opinion is a bit OTT

Everyone's entitled to have an opinion, but this is a bit like saying to put out the fire we should add some petrol and TNT...

Individually Langford is a very very good player, but we have a massive speed issue in our midfield and Langfords about as close to the opposite of fast as you can get in this draft.

All the experts, Kevin Sheehan, recruiters have Finn in the top couple and arguably no.1 but Bigfooty says otherwise and his gonna be a “flop”

Funny how we all see the game and players different
The recruiters have of course never picked a flop before. Rayner for the first four or five years of his career, Shache, Trengrove, McCartin, Jonathan ORourke, Dom Tyson, Paddy Dow, Petrevski Seton, Will Phillips, Dylan Stephens, Fisher McAsey etc all lived up to their very highly touted draft positions...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all. A question if I may.

With our pick, is there any of FOS, Smith, Lalor, Langford or even Reid that you would be concerned about if we selected them? If so, why?
To put it another way, are there any Paddy Dow's among them?
Personally, I think the chance of us getting it wrong is extremely low.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fair question. Truth is no-one knows, not Austin, or his counterparts at other clubs, and certainly not any of us. However, the intelligence gathering on draftees is far in advance of what it was in days gone by, and improves each year. Even then, there are still some top picks who don't work out for one reason or another. What we do know, is that the amount of work done on these top picks in particular means the likelihood of getting a pick 3 'wrong' is far lower than getting pick 30 'wrong'. We can be reasonably confident that any of that top group (FOS, Smith, Lalor, Langford, Draper) will turn out to be a decent footballer. Just hope that our pick isn't one of those few that doesn't.

Geeze Langford is a great kick that's for sure...

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He might be a great kick but is that all we are looking for? How well can he dunk the Gatorade drink barrel over Vossy after a win? What about his dress sense for Mad Monday? And can he start up his own podcast on the side? There are many important factors we must consider besides just “kicking”. 🙃

I wonder if Adelaide perhaps want to swap picks with us for Sid Draper if the guy we want is still on the board and get something else in addition like Adelaide's 2025 2nd rounder so they get a home town boy.

These interstate clubs always have that fear of the go home factor and love to draft locals.

I would be happy to trade down to 4 if we have decided we don’t want Draper and if it’s clear Adelaide will take Draper (which by all reports they will)

And even a future third pick would be enough for me (Adelaide has 3 of them right now I think)

Then we combine that future 3rd with Pick 38 to get about Pick 30 and get ahead of the Ben Camporeale bid (Port has 29, Freo 30, * 31 and Saints 32 - and all would be interested in particular * as they are matching Kako bid with 31 anyway)

Draper is leagues ahead of Dow at stoppage and in terms of pace.

It's derivative to say Draper fast, so Draper Dow, so Draper fail.
Honestly they are about the same in terms of production at the same age. Draper just has a more consistent sidestep and burst, while the latter is something Dow bothered to show off only late in the U18s (he was a late bolter amongst recruiters).

I'd argue in a proper sprint, Dow would continue to accelerate, and win but Draper is probably the more complete and capable footballer.
It’s not good running. 6’24” is not “great runner” standard.
They're junior footballers though, not track athletes weighing 5-20 kgs less.
All the experts, Kevin Sheehan, recruiters have Finn in the top couple and arguably no.1 but Bigfooty says otherwise and his gonna be a “flop” 🙄

Funny how we all see the game and players different
This is the time of the year when everybody plays along with the rampant fixation/mania in AFL fraternities and uses that as part of the strategy and tactics to shift the draft board a bit more in their favour.

It used to be more effective, but it still works. Historically, we're suckers for it.

Anyone have any concerns that as an underage player last year FOS went under the raider and got off the leash. Then this year rated as the top prospect has reached nowhere near the levels with more attention?

I'm at least worried by that aspect. I doubt many look to target the underagers, and underagers that have an average body type.

How many games did he play for his average of 22 disposals? Hopefully the entire season because his 2024 isnt inspiring for the cost on stats.

The more i look into draft the more I think we may have been able to find two guns at 12 and 14.

Time will tell on this this trade up.
Yes, and if our sole objective was pace, I don’t think any of the top 4 or 5 will address that. We’ll get a very good player at 3, but will he address ‘the need for speed’?

I agree.

Draper bounces laterally to space out of a stoppage before putting the burners on.

Dow never did that. Dow spent too much time on all fours, scrambling for the ball instead of reading it off hands. Still liked Dow, not a bad player at all but....

zero comparison to Draper.

Lalor looks superb to me. If they were happy they could deal with his injuries he would be 1 for me.

I go back and forth on FOS but some of his footy last year was sensational. I have him at 2.

I love the way Smith plays. Energizer bunny. I think everyone thinks “Butters” when they see him for the first time. He can’t kick as well as Zac and won’t be as hard. But he’s super smart. I am surprised he doesn’t kick more goals- he’s slippery as hell and very quick around corners and in tights spaces.

Any of the 3 and I’ll be delighted.
Not downplaying his midfield capabilities, but Jagga would be our best small forward immediately if he played full time there

Everyone's entitled to have an opinion, but this is a bit like saying to put out the fire we should add some petrol and TNT...

Individually Langford is a very very good player, but we have a massive speed issue in our midfield and Langfords about as close to the opposite of fast as you can get in this draft.

Do you have his speed and agility tests ?

Curious how this year's Norm Smith medallist tested. Particularly his speed??

We focus way to much on numbers on papers instead of the actual player.

Curious how this year's Norm Smith medallist tested. Particularly his speed??

We focus way to much on numbers on papers instead of the actual player.
The Office Thank You GIF

This why I don’t understand the criticism of Finn, people not wanting him because he doesn’t get “high numbers”

I’d rather 20 damaging disposals and 3 goals than a 35-40 disposal game that don’t have much influence!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back