Votes: 32 7.8%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 103 25.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

They would call out bluff if we are too greedy. So an F3 would be enough for them to burn to definitely secure Draper
Agree. What’s the worst case scenario if they called our bluff…ending up with Smith at #4? We don’t have a lot of leverage tbh.

If fact Adelaide should come out and say they’d be equally excited at the prospect of Draper, Smith, Lalor or Finn being available at #4.

Pick 38 is a lovely little conundrum.

It is unavoidably tied to Ben Camporeale.

If a bid comes before or after the pick will change our draft night (night 2 obviously)

So what are the scenarios?

Well right now pick 38 is worth 465 points

(38 is where it will stay as 4 picks before will go to on bids and 4 picks before will be added for bids)

That alone matches a bid at pick 32, so a nice little bit of insurance against a team who bids early.

If a bid is earlier, we can manage a match until about 20.

Before trading in 38, we could manage a bid until pick 44 without going into deficit.

So 38 will be used to match a bid unless that comes after about 32, when I assume we will have some trades for points lined up to preserve 4 National Draft picks.

Something like 38 for 46 and 65 with Essendon to help them get up a bit in the order.

How about if we get to 38 and Ben has not been bid on?

Well I think the club would be comfortable matching a bid after this so will probably take the pick.

Who is available around here?

Probably a lot of talls.

Clancy Dennis, Noah Mraz, James Barrat etc.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Huge fan but his athletic profile won’t be what we are after. I’m sure we will draft Draper and bring another average ball user into the squad alongside the campo twins who can’t kick over a jam tin.
This is a solid melt over absolutely nothing. 👏

That’s how I read it at as well. Pace is great but Cripps, Bont etc aren’t quick players at all

Only time will tell but I see a lot in the kid especially his poise and ability to step up when needed

My gut feel he is mentally very tough
Yep. With this. Langford and jagga to me. If you could only pick 2 this draft to end up HOFers I'd back them

I’ve already done a 180 and now want Draper. Ask me again in 24 hours.
Im Out GIF

Yep. With this. Langford and jagga to me. If you could only pick 2 this draft to end up HOFers I'd back them

Langford, FOS, and Lalor have the biggest potential of being game changing stars IMO. Jagga is the safest choice. Pretty much a Butters clone. It’s Langford for me. He’s a Dawson type with his kicking but with a bit more mongrel. Wouldn’t be unhappy with Smith though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can’t waste this pick on potential. This guy has to deliver something we don’t have consistently. Speed and aggression. FOS has all the tools but Sid the kid is all grunt and has proven he can do it against men week in and week out. I’m on board.
I'm very opinionated on the matter but taking a step back I really don't think we can go wrong at this pick. All the players in the mix would add to our list short term and long term. Still have my preferences but we are in a great spot.

FOS the biggest question mark as he's arguably the best 'fit' in terms of what strengths he brings, but also the most inconsistent/potential based selection.

We’ve just got to get p3 correct, there’s no other option, plenty of pressure on Austin. Separately it’s great that we have the experience and footy knowledge of GW on board . Reckon another expert option is invaluable, and will be throughout 2025.

It's a good question, and I don't know (tried looking this up the other day, and can't find a definitive answer). What I do know is that the passed pick is removed from the draft order. i.e. if Carlton pass at pick 52 and Geelong have pick 53, that pick shuffles down, and Geelong now have pick 52.

Logic would dictate that Carlton should still be able to use later picks for matching purposes (but not use them otherwise), but I really don't know if that is the case.

Note also, we can't guarantee last spot in the draft, as there could be further bid matching after the Ben Campo bid. i.e. picks we used to match Ben get moved to the back of the draft, but if there's then a bid on say Malakai Champion and West Coast match, then the picks they used would be moved behind the ones we used.
This is in Phantom Draft thread, but I thought I'd drag it across here. Just my thought, if we're worried about someone else bidding on Lucas, I don't see why we wouldn't take him, and then take another player in the Rookie Draft. In the end, I don't think the overall outcome would be significantly different either way...

Does Sid Draper remind anyone else of GWS Dylan Shiel?
No

I'm very opinionated on the matter but taking a step back I really don't think we can go wrong at this pick. All the players in the mix would add to our list short term and long term. Still have my preferences but we are in a great spot.

FOS the biggest question mark as he's arguably the best 'fit' in terms of what strengths he brings, but also the most inconsistent/potential based selection.
For me, FOS at his best would probably be the best option (assuming Lalor is gone). But I’ve watched lots of full games and notice how passive he can be. Never takes a game by the throat. Gets caught with the ball a lot and just not sure he’s proven the hype.

My main query on Draper is his lack of scoreboard impact. We desperately need a goal scoring midfielder but Sid hasn’t managed that in his under age career. Decisions, decisions.

Think we need to consider Reid. Kicking is lethal
Nick Austin when discussing our list needs at the draft:

"Really not just the depth but the positional variety. And for us, we're clearly looking for some speed and some run and some key position depth behind the ball. So we'll get after that. We feel like there's some players that will be around the market we can bring into our footy club that can make a difference.”

Langford, FOS, and Lalor have the biggest potential of being game changing stars IMO. Jagga is the safest choice. Pretty much a Butters clone. It’s Langford for me. He’s a Dawson type with his kicking but with a bit more mongrel. Wouldn’t be unhappy with Smith though.
I think most supporters would give a lot to get a Butters clone in our team right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back