Preview 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs GWS Saturday 6th July 7:30PM @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, Cotts is not a wingman. Best position is at half-forward. Is not an accumulator, like a wingman should be.

I think Ollie holds his spot, wing is a very specialized position. Understandably he is encountering second year blues. But, the effort is their.
Agree. Think it's cotts vs cinc. You probably don't want them both in the same team. Gets too negative I would've thought. I know they can both hurt with quick runs out the back but you'd lose a bit with both. And I think cincs month has kept him slightly ahead

Cottrell will need form in the VFL before getting a lookin at the AFL side. I think Cincotta has cemented a spot at half forward playing a defensive role. Hollands has cemented his spot as a forward/mid. Fantasia looks to be building into some form so it will be a difficult position to crack. I don't see Cottrell as a wingman. But if he runs out on the wing in the VFL and puts on a few good games then sure.

Nah, Cotts is not a wingman. Best position is at half-forward. Is not an accumulator, like a wingman should be.

I think Ollie holds his spot, wing is a very specialized position. Understandably he is encountering second year blues. But, the effort is their.
He has the equivalent running capacity tho and has played wingman. Accept tho that it takes away from his half forward strength. Not a bad problem for Voss to have but Ollie will need to lift his game

Coming home we have two danger games. This one and the Collingwood one. GWS have the ability to play pretty good footy despite going poorly.

We have a few sore bodies and potential injuries so it will be interesting to see who doesn't come up.

Kennedy could be out. It's an easy one if he is. Hewett comes back into the 22 and the sub will be out of Motlop and Carroll.

Lord is a chance but I don't think he will debut. Marchbank will be a thought but I doubt will get selected. Cottrell to come back via the VFL. There is some really had competition for spots at half forward now.

DeKoning likely comes in for Pittonet.

Saad and Williams will likely get up.

Even if Kennedy is right, if he is sore I would rest him. We have great cover for him.

Coming home we have two danger games. This one and the Collingwood one. GWS have the ability to play pretty good footy despite going poorly.
For mine the games we have the potential to drop are Giants, Bulldogs and Hawks.

Suspect we will drop one or two of these but no huge deal. We will beat Collingwood and we will smash Port in Melbourne.

Dogs' best is good, could Cincotta run with Bont? Take Bont out of the equation and you're halfway there.

Hawthorn should not be underestimated. They are better than a lot of teams in the eight. Play a good hard brand of footy, they will trouble us.

I think it will be close this week but I expect us to get it done.

For mine the games we have the potential to drop are Giants, Bulldogs and Hawks.

Suspect we will drop one or two of these but no huge deal. We will beat Collingwood and we will smash Port in Melbourne.

Dogs' best is good, could Cincotta run with Bont? Take Bont out of the equation and you're halfway there.

Hawthorn should not be underestimated. They are better than a lot of teams in the eight. Play a good hard brand of footy, they will trouble us.

I think it will be close this week but I expect us to get it done.
You're right. They are mid table teams who are really capable of turning up and beating nearly anyone.

A lot of these teams have enough good players to match anyone for half a game or more but run out of in-team depth so we just have to stick with them and run over them. Expecting them to be challenging games that we should win but could lose if we aren't all there.

Collingwood are a team who I think are building up, not sure we simply beat them, they have the wood on us and exploit us really well for pace and with pressure around the ball. I'm hoping we beat them but history shows we will need to be really good.

Dogs can be a bogey team for us. They have enough quality to take it up to us. Must nullify Bont. Not sure who the man for that role is. Cincotta is more about playing half forward and taking out the best offensive defender so not sure about going to the centre for Bont. I think that is a Kennedy job if he is fit. Or Cerra.

Hawthorn play a great brand of footy and are well coached, so we will have to turn up there.

Port are going well enough to challenge us here but we have the wood over them really well, we match up on them so well, in Melbourne, things would have to be going really wrong to lose this one.

Main thing is we stay healthy.

If we cement 2nd spot early, we will rest players who are really sore going into finals. So it's important to cement that spot.

2nd spot is like gold. It means we most likely avoid Sydney until the grand final, get them on the MCG. Also means first game is a home game against 4th spot which should be a very winnable game. Likely to get Port at the MCG or something like that.

2nd spot is like gold. It means we most likely avoid Sydney until the grand final, get them on the MCG. Also means first game is a home game against 4th spot which should be a very winnable game. Likely to get Port at the MCG or something like that.
2nd plays 3rd, not 4th. If a Vic team finishes 2nd, there's no difference finishing 2nd or 3rd.

Cottrell in for Fantasia I reckon. Fantasia's form has been building though so I'm not sure if he'll come straight in. I do believe Cottrell is better overall though. Fanta is still poor 1-on-1 whereas Cottrell often wins those 50/50s.

This, Fantasia is playing the exact role Cottrell was before injured. Fantasia continues to kick a snag or two and Cotts won’t get a look in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You're right, I missed that one. I still think second is the spot to finish. Get a home final. Takes out the risk of having to go to SA, WA or the GABBA perhaps.
Of course. It just may end up not mattering if it is the Pies in second. Can't see any other Vic team threatening to go above us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This, Fantasia is playing the exact role Cottrell was before injured. Fantasia continues to kick a snag or two and Cotts won’t get a look in

Cottrell plays it better, particularly defensively. Fantasia's been solid but he lacks Cottrell's running power to get back to last line and impact.

I was expecting Motlop to come into the team but it's clearly a role highly fancied by the coaches. Having Hollands, Acres and Fantasia/Cottrell able to cover defensively has been huge for us.

Speaking of Acres, his effort in the last quarter to run past 3 teammates and not give up on a chase he was never gonna make was sensational. Then, absolutely gassed, he was the first one to run hard into space to provide an option. Spent a good 15 seconds hunched over after that before he was off and running and involved in the play again. Love him as a player, heart and soul.

if you asked all the sore and injured players if they're right for this week..

Fast And Furious Smile GIF by The Fast Saga

We have a few sore bodies and potential injuries so it will be interesting to see who doesn't come up.

Kennedy could be out. It's an easy one if he is. Hewett comes back into the 22 and the sub will be out of Motlop and Carroll.

Lord is a chance but I don't think he will debut. Marchbank will be a thought but I doubt will get selected. Cottrell to come back via the VFL. There is some really had competition for spots at half forward now.

DeKoning likely comes in for Pittonet.

Saad and Williams will likely get up.

Even if Kennedy is right, if he is sore I would rest him. We have great cover for him.

No such thing as danger games anymore.Every game is difficult and needs to be treated as such.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is not an accumulator, like a wingman should be.
That's not really the wing role anymore

Agree. Think it's cotts vs cinc. You probably don't want them both in the same team. Gets too negative I would've thought. I know they can both hurt with quick runs out the back but you'd lose a bit with both. And I think cincs month has kept him slightly ahead
Could not disagree any more.
Both have something that we're generally lacking, pace.

When Cincotta has been tagging a mid, it has totally changed the complexion of our centre square, and addressed the main area we've been torched by teams over the last couple of years, burst and spread from the centre. That he can also lock down on Stewart types, and burn them the other way just adds versatility to our team.
Cottrell plays a different role, running high half forward and wing patterns. Fantasia is covering for him at the moment, but isn't as good (was great to see him get reward yesterday).

Both are in our best 23.

Must nullify Bont. Not sure who the man for that role is. Cincotta is more about playing half forward and taking out the best offensive defender so not sure about going to the centre for Bont.
Just on this point, this has only been the case the last two weeks. Two weeks previous were jobs in midfield on Merrett and Butters. I think Cinc is just deployed on the biggest threat. I do feel like Bont's size is the main obstacle here with Merrett and Butters being smaller type mids.

I know its selfish but I just want Weiters to put on an intercept marking masterclass this week. He deserves to be AA but his stats are lacking in that dept, I don't think I can watch them snub him again for a spud like Moore.
He’s beating and at times destroying his opponents in direct head to head contests, that’s his job and he’s doing it sensationally, then he gets involved with other defensive team factors when the opportunity arises…

We don’t have another bonafide KPD so his job is to beat the opposition’s best KF’s, team first the intercepts always take care of themselves because he reads the game at such a high level…

It’s the AA panel that seems to have this fascination with statistics in general particularly high intercept numbers instead of looking at judging the quality of the opponent’s that are being beaten or shut down…

just my take…👍

He’s beating and at times destroying his opponents in direct head to head contests, that’s his job and he’s doing it sensationally, then he gets involved with other defensive team factors when the opportunity arises…

We don’t have another bonafide KPD so his job is to beat the opposition’s best KF’s, team first the intercepts always take care of themselves because he reads the game at such a high level…

It’s the AA panel that seems to have this fascination with statistics in general particularly high intercept numbers instead of looking at judging the quality of the opponent’s that are being beaten or shut down…

just my take…👍
Totally agree, I just don't want them to have any reason to snub him again. Best KPD in the comp over the last 3-4 years and they've pulled out excuse after excuse to not select him.

Just on this point, this has only been the case the last two weeks. Two weeks previous were jobs in midfield on Merrett and Butters. I think Cinc is just deployed on the biggest threat. I do feel like Bont's size is the main obstacle here with Merrett and Butters being smaller type mids.

Yep and when Cinc played on Merrett and Butters it wasn’t out of the center but from half forward but then he went to them once the ball was in play and he did a great shut down role. The Bont is arguably the best player in the comp and also larger than those two so may not be a great match up so he may end up going to Libba or Treloar depending on who is playing more inside. But we digress because none of these players are Giants. Oops.

Totally agree, I just don't want them to have any reason to snub him again. Best KPD in the comp over the last 3-4 years and they've pulled out excuse after excuse to not select him.
Along with Sam Taylor and Steven May the best one on one KPD’s in the competition in the last 3-4 years…
He should be close to a lock this year…

Think we need to get used to role players in particular not being auto ins once they are ready.

Our big money stars will always take priority for a spot on return as they should but Voss is continuing (as he should) with
a whole of squad approach outside of that.

Can see TDK coming back in but Pitt might get another and George for Chugga if he's too sore. Outside of that see no reason to change anyone else, including Hollands at this point. Not setting the world on fire but does know how to play wing (not an easy role).

A lot of our transition goes down the left wing anyway with Newman, Saad and Acres out there so there are other reasons than form as to why Ollie isn't seeing as much of it.

Our scoring power has evolved in a very big way particularly since the Swans loss.

v Tigers - Fanta (4) and Fog (3) ,
v Cats - Owies (3) and Charlie (5),
v * - E.Hollands (3), Charlie (2) and Williams (2),
v Port - Williams (3) + Harry (3) + Charlie (3),
v Suns - Williams (4) + Charlie (4)

Cincotta has popped up in the last 3 games and kicked 2 in each of those as well...

Our mids are getting involved and scoring as well.

With TDK set to come back in for this one, Taylor likely still out, we'll be too strong for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back