Preview 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs GWS Saturday 6th July 7:30PM @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Not taking any of our remaining games for granted but i see no reason why we cant win all of them.

We are playing damn good footy and we've shown we've got the extra gears when needed.

Improving our turnover game has made us substantially better.

Us and swannies are clearly the two top teams with a bit of gap to the next team.

For mine the games we have the potential to drop are Giants, Bulldogs and Hawks.

Suspect we will drop one or two of these but no huge deal. We will beat Collingwood and we will smash Port in Melbourne.

Dogs' best is good, could Cincotta run with Bont? Take Bont out of the equation and you're halfway there.

Hawthorn should not be underestimated. They are better than a lot of teams in the eight. Play a good hard brand of footy, they will trouble us.

I think it will be close this week but I expect us to get it done.
Not intending to channel Malthouse but I can't see us losing a game this year.

Our scoring power has evolved in a very big way particularly since the Swans loss.

v Tigers - Fanta (4) and Fog (3) ,
v Cats - Owies (3) and Charlie (5),
v * - E.Hollands (3), Charlie (2) and Williams (2),
v Port - Williams (3) + Harry (3) + Charlie (3),
v Suns - Williams (4) + Charlie (4)

Cincotta has popped up in the last 3 games and kicked 2 in each of those as well...

Our mids are getting involved and scoring as well.

With TDK set to come back in for this one, Taylor likely still out, we'll be too strong for them.
Having new weapons half way through the season makes it extremely tough for teams to adjust against us. Williams, Hollands and Cincotta up forward don't have a big enough sample size to formulate a solid plan against them. Means teams are forced to wing it a bit and stick to what they know in stopping H and Charlie. A great step to have taken for the team.

Not intending to channel Malthouse but I can't see us losing a game this year.
On paper we are very capable of this, but momentum is very hard to maintain. And available personnel is also critical. I guess tho if we are to lose it’ll be important not to do so against sides that will have a bearing on our ladder position. Beating collingwood is crucial to maintain the 6 point gap.

Our percentage boost in the last couple weeks has been immensely important to fortify our ladder position.

So much to play out but at the moment it’s Carlton and Hawthorn who are on the best winning streaks so with Sydney losing, we are the “form” team.

Flying up to Sydney for the weekend with a few other Carlton fans. Never been to a game at Giants’ stadium before and super excited to be amongst the big travelling blue army. Should be a good contingent of us up there.
from the front gate to your seat will take you all of 90 seconds!! rug up as freezing out at homebush lol . go baggers

Just on this point, this has only been the case the last two weeks. Two weeks previous were jobs in midfield on Merrett and Butters. I think Cinc is just deployed on the biggest threat. I do feel like Bont's size is the main obstacle here with Merrett and Butters being smaller type mids.
Personally I wouldn't bother tagging Bont. He plays on Cripps, they shake hands at the start and both go out and try and get 40 each. We back the rest of our mids to hold sway and for TDK to get us better looks. We do need to have a plan for Bont when he goes up forward though. Their height will worry us up forward (as ours will them).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flying up to Sydney for the weekend with a few other Carlton fans. Never been to a game at Giants’ stadium before and super excited to be amongst the big travelling blue army. Should be a good contingent of us up there.
Good stadium. Not all that easy to get to when driving but good facilities, bars and food. Lived up there for 8 years so went to many Giants games.

That's not really the wing role anymore

Could not disagree any more.
Both have something that we're generally lacking, pace.

When Cincotta has been tagging a mid, it has totally changed the complexion of our centre square, and addressed the main area we've been torched by teams over the last couple of years, burst and spread from the centre. That he can also lock down on Stewart types, and burn them the other way just adds versatility to our team.
Cottrell plays a different role, running high half forward and wing patterns. Fantasia is covering for him at the moment, but isn't as good (was great to see him get reward yesterday).

Both are in our best 23.
Yeah but probably not tho at the same time. Voss will not drop Fogarty or fantasia after those performances. So if he's best 22 how's he fit? Don't see it unless cinc goes out. Which I also don't see. As others have said I don't think cotts is a winger in the same way Holland's is. I've championed cotts for a long time but think he'll have to wait to get back in. Ultimately I couldn't care less whether fantasia or cotts plays. They're all good enough.

Yeah but probably not tho at the same time. Voss will not drop Fogarty or fantasia after those performances. So if he's best 22 how's he fit? Don't see it unless cinc goes out. Which I also don't see. As others have said I don't think cotts is a winger in the same way Holland's is. I've championed cotts for a long time but think he'll have to wait to get back in. Ultimately I couldn't care less whether fantasia or cotts plays. They're all good enough.
Not an issue for this week.
When Cotts is fit, I think he's back in and plays the role that Fantasia has been filling in (because he's better at it).
That doesn't necessarily mean Fantasia goes out, maybe plays closer to goal?

When Charlie is struggling 1v1 like yesterday, i'd love to see him change it up a bit and transition into a leading fwd, ala Waterman. I don't know why he persists with trying to outbody his opponents when he's getting beaten.

Noted this also. Would love our forward line to function whereby our key forwards are leading at the footy more and with more space to do so. They’re generally a 50/50 chance in a wrestle but practically unstoppable on a lead.

When the last time we saw Charlie with a Fevola like lead and chest mark directly up the middle.

So many times our wingers and half forwards (and their opponents) are standing in the leading lanes. Frustrating.

Shows how good Charlie is when he’s still Coleman leader really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back