Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the team is not as good as what many on here think (Boyd, Cottrell, Hollands are not AFL standard but simply give their all) so I normally don’t get too disappointed when we lose but today’s loss was on Voss.

There will be a lot of discussion about selection, certain players and rightly so but I have said it all year, we are a SLOW side and teams have worked us out.

GWS last week and Bulldogs this week took the game on at every opportunity and we struggled to keep up. It causes mistakes and we lose our structure

IMO it's a major issue that we must address asap. When you have a side with Cripps Walsh TDK Weitering Charlie and McKay you can beat anyone

Positive is, FINALS are generally very contested, hard games and that is our strength

Last edited:

Team selection all over the place. Soo light in the middle with Dogs runs and speed

Pressure will now be immense and must finish top 2

Too many passengers

Cripps was Beast in his 200th

Top 2? We will be scrapping it out for the 8 with 10 other clubs in hope we get lucky to sneak into top 4.

We’re in shit house form and what’s even more concerning is we’re back to playing selfish footy.

I hope people aren't purely going on stats today. Look at goals given away, discipline, efficiency considering inside or outside roles, and what a damn forwards job is. Charlie a poor first half, got heaps of it in the second half, but wasted it.

I have a couple in mind who tried hard the whole game.

Matt Cottrell coming straight back into the seniors after a 2 mth lay-off due to a foot injury is mind-meltingly stupid.

It was stupid before the GWS game and it's reached 'trade young KPF & first rd pick for fat, alcoholic and gambling addicted FF + lose much-loved premiership player & BnF winner in the process' levels of stupid tonight.

I cannot understand the love he still gets as a player. Yes he's a great guy. Not going personal but as a footballer he's just not there. His kicking was shit. He is weak as **** and on the ground as soon as there's a contest. He can't jump and can't spoil. Wtfffffff.

Still. Cotts was worse

We badly need a 2nd KPD that can actually hold their own.

Marchbank is D grade.

Ollie Hollands costs us week in week out. Spilled an absolutely vital sitter mark in the last and got run down with a tackle that a stronger player would have stepped through.

His 12 year old body is an issue

Why do we keep picking him?

We have options - many options. Play Cerra out there being the most obvious one.

Incredible how many sins of the coaching group and selectors came back to haunt us tonight.

All added up to 4 points sacrificed to absolute ego.

We'll probably trot out next week with pitto in the team again. Just because the selectors will want to somehow prove it wasn't their decisions that cost us.

Arrogance and ego.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve said this for way too long but this coaching group will butcher a premiership list. There is no excuse on this earth that would justify the decisions this match committee have made the past fortnight.

Take into account we completely obliterated Geelong and became premiership favourites in many eyes.

An incredible self sabotage by a group of second rate managers.

so disheartened by that display by Charlie, Cerra and Walsh. Cotta back the the VFL if he is lucky. Ollie tried hard and did some good things but needs to be stronger. Newman needs to be more careful with his tackles, concedes to many silly ones.

Shattered for Crippa. Felt so bad for him when he was walking off. Charlie and Weits offered to chair him off but Cripps didn't want a bar of it. Clearly disappointed and deserves better.

I was going to watch to see what happened there, but turned it off. I was hoping he would refuse. Don't try to honour him, after letting him down for most of the game. He'd be shattered and embarrassed at getting chaired off. A captain's reaction if I ever heard one.

Last edited:
2 rucks, yet smashed out the middle/out of stoppage.
A few blokes need to really question themselves.
We desperately need a quality KPD to help out Weiters.
Umpires had a collective howler, includuding those watching the screens.

Dogs were desperate and were quicker with reactions, didn't fumble at critical times.Deserved to win.

Almost surprising we stayed so close with so few contributors.

I would be embarassed if I were a team mate of Cripps today. Many passengers.
That performance is a function of 3 main elements
1. Poor decisions at selection leaving out Hewitt and playing Kennedy as sub
2. Austin's list management ignoring outside run and confusing endurance with pace when identifying players.
3. Walsh back injury- he is not the player he was. Lost a pace over the first 5 meters

Matt Cottrell coming straight back into the seniors after a 2 mth lay-off due to a foot injury is mind-meltingly stupid.

It was stupid before the GWS game and it's reached 'trade young KPF & first rd pick for fat, alcoholic and gambling addicted FF + lose much-loved premiership player & BnF winner in the process' levels of stupid tonight.
Does this decision fall on the high performance team? Someone make sense of it to me?

No one in their right mind would make Hewett the sub after the Geelong game to then drop him the following week for Cottrell who has no touch. Then for this game playing 2 rucks on a fast deck at marvel when we already had clear evidence that playing 1 ruck is our best mix. Feel for Crippa, luckily we still have time to rectify these issues, big watch at selection this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Back