Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to get this thing back on track.

Done a few ladder predictors and if we drop one or 2 and slide to 3rd. We could very well be travelling to Brissy week 1.

Lose that and we will be back home in Melbourne and then to Sydney week 3. Zero chance of getting through that run. Year will be wasted.

We've put ourselves in an awful position with the last two weeks losses.

Have to win all of our last 6 and keep our destiny in our own hands.

McGovern does that every week. We don’t rest him. :p
Thought we missed McGoverns ability to transition by foot out of the defensive 50 yesterday.
One of the few in the team that attempts (therefore sometimes failing) to take the game on taking the kick that opens things up.
Thought Boyd tried to take extra responsibility for this last night but unfortunately had a mare.
Think both Saad & Boyd felt McGovern’s absence from this perspective.
It left Weitering, Kemp & Marchbank as the others to transition by foot out of defensive 50. None of those three are damaging by foot.
Weitering the next best, though lacks the confidence / ability to be a penetrating kick. An area he needs to work on to become truely elite from my perspective.
Our transition out of defensive 50 yesterday reminded me of 3 to 4 years ago. We were stagnant.

When we moved the ball we scored, we just didn’t move it well or often enough.

This and being fumbly in tight we’re the two things that stood out where we lost the game yesterday.

A close third was our lack of forward pressure. Owies, Fogarty, Charlie, E Hollands were invisable from this perspective. Playing TDK as a third forward another mistake when you already have two dominant bigs in Harry & Charlie.

Really poor game from our selection committee as others have mentioned.

Need to bounce back in the next two games.

After watching VFL

B: Boyd Durdin McGovern
HB: Newman Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Walsh
HF: Fogarty McKay Elijah
F: Kemp Curnow Motlop
Foll: TDK Hewett Cincotta
Int: Cerra Kennedy Cowan Owies
Sub: Cuningham

I’d play Kemp as third forward/ruck
Walsh onto wing
Elijah Cerra give midfield run to support our bulls
Agree with the outs: Pitto, Marchbank, Ollie, Cottrell, Williams (inj).

Hopefully McGovern is okay to go but they might give him another week? If he’s good to play then trialling Kemp as 3rd forward target against North is the right game to do it.

Also like the move of Walsh to the wing.

Havent had a “home game” funnily enough

It gets said every week and cant really use it as an excuse but this team needs the home crowd factor.
The Carlton contingent felt big and was plenty loud where I was standing (Level 1 near the cheer squad). Not sure what the split was but I'd have thought we outnumbered Dogs fans.

We need to get this thing back on track.

Done a few ladder predictors and if we drop one or 2 and slide to 3rd. We could very well be travelling to Brissy week 1.

Lose that and we will be back home in Melbourne and then to Sydney week 3. Zero chance of getting through that run. Year will be wasted.

We've put ourselves in an awful position with the last two weeks losses.

Have to win all of our last 6 and keep our destiny in our own hands.
I just don’t get it.

Our draw is as easy as any team around us. Whether we had it all stitched up by now or not is totally irrelevant.

We don’t want to lose multiple games against an average group going into the finals. Whether we were miles up or not.

We are in a great spot. Be confident. All will be fine.

There is exactly one team that has won all of its last 5 games: Brisbane.

There is exactly one team that has only dropped 1 of its last 5 games: Hawthorn.

All other teams have dropped at least 2 of their last 5 games.

Do we have things we need to work on? Absolutely. But so does just about everyone else.

This year is wide, wide open.
Strong form over the last 8 weeks of the season is gold, beats final 8 positions almost every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week we need to change structures.

The forward structure is a problem. We are loaded with defensive forwards. Don't get the ball and don't kick goals. How can you move the ball if ahead of you is filled with players who can't get the the footy? A lot of ball movement is determined by the quality of players ahead of the ball. It sounds really simple but looking up and there is Cottrell, Fogarty and Cincotta. We're 100% of the time going to Harry or Charlie and that's where the opposition are going to cut the ball off.
A deep and dangerous forward line spreads the defenders by making them accountable.

The other thing is front and centres. We kicked long a fair bit which is fine, all sides do. But we failed to get numbers to the contest when the ball was kicked long. Either we are not reading it or we are lazy. The big reason is our mids and forwards naturally play wide of the contest. They are more receivers than crumbers. Our structures at the fall of the ball last week were terrible. When the ball fell there weren't the numbers there to win it or make a tackle.

This week we need to work hard at getting numbers to the fall of the ball in those situations. We have worked hard on ball movement, but we have broken down in our front and centre work.

Stoppage work has also fallen apart. We are losing clearances which is not the worst thing in the world. The better sides get beaten in clearances at times too but they fall back into a defensive pressure and tackle orientates structure. This is where we are falling apart at stoppages. Don't win it, fine. Getting beaten to the ball, fine. Where is our tackling and pressure? I don't think we are well coached and tactically good in this area in general.

More numbers through the middle. More intensity in there.

I have said it before in this thread. You can't tell me that Hewett coming into the team is a bad thing, he was covering the ground and playing well before we outed him. You can't tell me that Fogarty, Cottrell and Cincotta are better than Cerra, Motlop and Cuningham. No bloody way.

Voss has been too rigid when it comes to using player's second position. I was blown away when he sent Williams forward. Cerra has a forward game we never use. He should be a part of our forward/mid rotations. Motlop is a good natural forward who gets to the fall of the ball and can kick, fogarty is a VFL player who plays with effort but can't do anything other than chase and tackle. Cuningham has his quiet games but also 20 possession plus games and scores goals, is a good kick and always defends well. Cottrell has no footy IQ or desire for the contests. Never seen a guy stay out of the way of the play as well as he does, he would make a fantastic umpire.

Boyd cost us 3 goals with his kicking out of D50 last night. Do we need to give him a spell? But who comes in? Hewett or Cerra to half back.
No, give him a spell? Maybe sub. Shouldn’t need to tag, Cincotta plays back for a “refresher course”, leading in to finals to have all eventualities covered.

Also allows for some change ups, like Cuningham and/or Motlop to get a run. Even Carroll getting some more senior minutes would be positive. Blokes like Elijah and Fogarty who played increased midfield minutes last game, can revert to the forward line for management purposes.

Thinking our match committee is largely about getting the list to September in good shape, thus creating a few dramas at the moment.

Sometimes players play a bad game. We can't afford to rest Boyd, we are getting too thin again on rebounding defenders.

We are at our best with three. We have Saad and after that it's getting rough. It's Boyd and not much else.

Our run and ball carry from defence is a bit ordinary at the moment.

Boyd has one bad game, all players do. At least he was getting the ball.

Thoughts on moving Fogarty into the backline pushing up as the defensive mid??
Not for me - our pressure i50 has dropped recently and taking one of our better players away from there would be the wrong call. Also not sure what role he would play as a defender?

In: McGovern, Hewett, Kennedy, Cuningham/Motlop

Out: Pittonet, Cottrell, Williams (I), Marchbank

Really want to drop Boyd but that's too many changes. Zero composure and brutal disposal (those who say he's a good ball user I just cannot see it). Turned it over with absolutely no pressure today multiple times. Is a constant passenger. His opponent destroyed him today

If Charlie is carrying something give him a week off. We can't afford it but we can't continue with the half efforts..
O. Hollands must go too.

After watching the VFL replay:

Motlop must come in. Covering the ground very well at high speed. Great pressure and his tackles stick. We know he's a threat offensively. He'll improve us forward of the footy and help prevent the ball from rebounding as easily as it has. We've been lacking pressure outside the contest and he brought this in spades.

Hewett played a great game, as we'd expect from him at the level. Excellent at locking the ball in the contest. Cerra is struggling for impact, whereas Hewett was flying. I'd be moving Cerra out of the middle, either to the wing or half back until he regains form and confidence.

Durdin was struggling physically in his first few games back, but looking much better the last fortnight. An obvious replacement for Marchbank if McGovern is still out. I'd rest McGovern and give Durdin the game regardless, as he needs exposure at the level. Marchbank looks to have mentally checked out and Young is break glass for mine. We need a backup we can rely on heading into finals.

Cuningham wasn't overly involved but moved well and has a point of difference with his pace. I'd be bringing him in for more of an attacking threat. We've gone much too defensive in the forward half and Cuners addresses that.

Martin blew out the cobwebs but surely another week away at least.

If Hewett isn't straight back into our starting 22 and stays there for the rest of the season, I'm burning down Princes Park :sweatsmile:

One of our best defensive mids that actually runs both ways.

hehe whilst I'm not sure I'm lighting up Ikon Park it is certainly baffling why he's in the VFL. Our last two weeks are clear evidence of a match committee that have been just as disappointing in their decision making & execution as the players have...

It's such a fine balance between getting players coming back from injury in straight away to get them AFL exposure and building synergies with the team before finals versus playing them in the 2's to get touch.

I can see what the committee has been trying to do the past two weeks but it hasn't paid dividends in the past two games. The question is do they persist and hope these players start to fire? I wouldn't want to be the one making the calls - huge decisions to make this week and in the coming weeks.

I just don’t get it.

Our draw is as easy as any team around us. Whether we had it all stitched up by now or not is totally irrelevant.

We don’t want to lose multiple games against an average group going into the finals. Whether we were miles up or not.

We are in a great spot. Be confident. All will be fine.
Easy draw is one thing. Form is another.

There are no easy games in this comp at the moment.

We've put the pressure back on ourselves now. Hopefully the boys can respond like they have every time they've needed too the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back