Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a side note playing Sunday late and then Friday night will be an issue.Is say they’ll be quite a few changes over the next two weeks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What were the AFL thinking with that - last game of one round and then the first game of the next

The key focus going forward has to be team defence. Offensively we’re a good side but when we defend and pressure strongly we’re a premiership contender. We haven’t won a game this year when the opposition kick 100 points. Should be aiming to keep all teams under 80 points as we did in our 5 game win streak. Want to see us keep North to 70-75 points this week.

I hope so. But nothing will be as easy as the dogs and GWS should have been. Hopefully a touch up v north is coming to ensure we have some confidence again in our game plan. A settled lineup is important for the final 6 games heading into finals. We’d want to have a few positions sorted in the next couple.

Medium/Tall defender - McGovern
Wing - Acres and Hollands (or do we try Cerra or Walsh or Hewett)
Midfield rotations - Cripps Walsh Hewett should be starting 3. Then it’s between Cerra Kennedy Carroll for the fourth position
Ruck - 1 or 2. I’m a form believer in TDK only with McKay pinch hitting.
Third tall forward - Cripps/kennedy or Martin rotating
Small forwards - Owies/Fogarty/Williams is the first 3 imo. Then it’s Motlop or Cuningham or Fantasia off the bench.
To tag or not - Cincotta keeps his spot until we don’t have a match up.but where does he start.
Sub - a small forward has been our starting position. But I’d prefer a versatile mid/fwd. Cotterell or Martin would be perfect.

A lot of questions.
Martin back in and playing decent footy is critical.

As we saw last year his intensity, not to mention skill, lifts everyone!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't fixing the problem of pace and spread around the contest.

I think a big part of the issue is our mids getting forwards of the ball - trying to attack too quickly.

If the mids play defensively first, check the opposition mids and stay closer body on body it should decrease the chances of letting the opposition simply run the ball out of the middle.

Cinc has been excellent in the new role, but I wonder whether there’ll be a temptation to return him to the back half - or even midfield- as a defensive stoppage player.

Definitely a part of our game that needs bolstering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back