Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

So now that we've actually got our 5 mids playing in Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra and Kennedy we actually don't know how to fit them all in. We chuck Cerra to HB and Kennedy to the forward line.

Seems we played better when 1 or 2 were out injured and we weren't trying to just squeeze everyone into the team for the sake of it.

I don't know the solution, but what we have right now isn't working...
There’s a super obvious solution but Walsh’s ego isn’t allowing it I suspect.

He goes to wing. Acres on the other. Midfield of Cerra Cripps Hewett Kennedy Cincotta. One on bench. One starts at half forward. Cinc tagging as much as he can.

That’s all we can do this year. It would make our wings the best in the afl.

How many here are going?
I got tickets the day they went on sale and I am not as enthusiastic about going now.
The build up is going to be huge with Pendlebury playing his 400th game.
I’m still going. Want to let my 6yo experience his first ever Collingwood game. Will be fine with McKay acres back in hopefully Boyd and Martin back too

1. Carlton has been losing the ground ball contested game since the second quarter of the GWS game.
2. No team in the competition can replace TDK, MKay and (even) Acres all outs these are all big bodied contest winning and goal kicking finals quality players or better.

It isnt rocket science.

ALSO - DOH people have finally worked out Carlton Achilles heel- NO SECOND KPD and started stacking forward lines with talls. IF yoia re losing clearances and CBB - then any defensive mix is under teh gun- let alone a team which lacks teh basics of a defensive structure and that starts with TWO talls.

Now all the 'whisperers' are chiming in with oh Cerra is confused and Binns is the new handsome prince and Voss is clueless

typical Carlton forum BS - this is my opinion and everyone is entitled to one and every opinion is equal.

Collingwood’s team this week is pretty small and mobile….Cox, Mcstay, Cameron and Moore the only talls and Ned Long at 194cm as a midfielder

Be interesting to see if Frampton and Kruger are in the mix for a recall next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can bet your last dollar they’ll be in the mix, absolutely guaranteed they’ll have a third tall in the forward line they can switch to defence if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I would 100% have played him over playing Cottrell on the wing. Surely he couldn’t have done much worse?
I think most would agree that Cottrell should have returned via the VFL 4 weeks ago. As expected after a long layoff he was an absolute non contributor in the GWS and Bulldogs games.

Not only was it the right pathway to regain match fitness and find form, it would’ve given us the opportunity to fairly compare Binns and Cottrell in the same competition.

Now all the 'whisperers' are chiming in with oh Cerra is confused and Binns is the new handsome prince and Voss is clueless

typical Carlton forum BS
Typical Carlton forum BS by a few

Twisting things to make them worse or different to what they actually were

Cerra is NOT a whisper
Binns is NOT the new handsome prince. Many people just believe he deserved a go especially with Acres out
Hardly anyone if anyone has said Voss is clueless. BUT some people have asked questions which is fair

Deal in facts. You can disagree and debate the point but don’t twist to suit

Last edited:
Just on the Cerra thing, I believed he played extended periods at half-back quite effectively for Freo... Not doubting the mail but just not sure why he would be so confused reprising that role?

No one said he was confused about that

I wish I hadn’t posted it as people run with stuff that isn’t true and twist to suit but I believed the comments about him are way off and tried to put some perspective on it

I won’t do it again

Last edited:
1. Carlton has been losing the ground ball contested game since the second quarter of the GWS game.
2. No team in the competition can replace TDK, MKay and (even) Acres all outs these are all big bodied contest winning and goal kicking finals quality players or better.

It isnt rocket science.

ALSO - DOH people have finally worked out Carlton Achilles heel- NO SECOND KPD and started stacking forward lines with talls. IF yoia re losing clearances and CBB - then any defensive mix is under teh gun- let alone a team which lacks teh basics of a defensive structure and that starts with TWO talls.

typical Carlton forum BS - this is my opinion and everyone is entitled to one and every opinion is equal.
Against NM we won centre clearances 16-13 with TDK and Harry contributing 5 and 2 resp (almost half).

Against Port we lost cc 6-13….their replacements, Pitto and Young contributed zero to our total of 6.

TDK out is like losing one our best midfielders at centre bounces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one said he was confused about that

I wish I hadn’t posted it as people run with stuff that isn’t true and twist but I believed the comments about him are way off and tried to put some perspective on it

I won’t do it again
Sorry I misinterpreted. What is he confused about then (genuine question)?

He goes to wing. Acres on the other. Midfield of Cerra Cripps Hewett Kennedy Cincotta. One on bench. One starts at half forward. Cinc tagging as much as he can.

Walsh on 1 wing, if he's disciplined enough to play there would at least allow him more time to think about his ball use.
The amount of times Walsh and Oli deliver to a player that's well covered or just dump it towards our forward line is frustrating.

Our (team) defence is putrid and inconsistent. We leak more scores this season than we did during the Teague Gift era. Psychologically we've reverted back to pre round 14, 2023 form (it was always there lurking in the shadows admittedly and showing glimpses on occassion, hence why I still could never fully trust the team) and unless the coaching staff and leaders can pull another Curnow bonfire out of the hat I fear gravely for the remainder of our 2024 campaign.

Milestone game most likely for Pendles and Pies play well for these big ones, like they did for Micks (even though he wasn't still there coach, but Mick got the result he preferred).

We win this may be a piece to helping us release the shackles again and gain some confidence, but in typical Carlton fashion of recent times we'll let some bog Pies players dominate and cough up a lead of sorts to lose by a goal or two.

Did you watch his under 18 year? Before he did his knee? I did. Barely played mid. If we drafted him to be a mid it was speculative at best.

Right or wrong that's why SOS drafted him. He did play mostly back and forward but it was late in his year playing some mid minutes that excited him and why he picked him

Agree with all comments. I think Walsh would be an awesome wingman

Issue I have he is playing like a "Bull" and it doesn't suit. He is a gut runner and a link player. He is tiring, getting beaten up and it's effecting his disposal.

Is this a coaching thing or is it Walsh? i don't know, but I don't agree with how he's being used/playing at the moment. He is star and IMO we aren't getting the best out of him and possibly hurting his future

Agree with all comments. I think Walsh would be an awesome wingman

Issue I have he is playing like a "Bull" and it doesn't suit. He is a gut runner and a link player. He is tiring, getting beaten up and it's effecting his disposal.

Is this a coaching thing or is it Walsh? i don't know, but I don't agree with how he's being used/playing at the moment. He is star and IMO we aren't getting the best out of him and possibly hurting his future
Link player 100% and I’m confused he is being played in and under. His back clearly isn’t 100% so having him play the way he is and getting pinned and ragged non stop surely isn’t looking after his welfare. Numerous reports earlier in the year suggested it could end his career early but we just keep him in the congested stuff, it’s really pissing me off.

Cripps also seems to be doing all the heavy lifting and wasn’t having Kennedy and going after Hewett a factor to give Cripps some relief? We are running our 2 best mids absolutely into the ground imo. Let’s play Kennedy deep back, no let’s play him forward now… like what are they even thinking

Link player 100% and I’m confused he is being played in and under. His back clearly isn’t 100% so having him play the way he is and getting pinned and ragged non stop surely isn’t looking after his welfare. Numerous reports earlier in the year suggested it could end his career early but we just keep him in the congested stuff, it’s really pissing me off.

Cripps also seems to be doing all the heavy lifting and wasn’t having Kennedy and going after Hewett a factor to give Cripps some relief? We are running our 2 best mids absolutely into the ground imo. Let’s play Kennedy deep back, no let’s play him forward now… like what are they even thinking

My first thought is to always look for a reason the coaches are doing something. They are closer and know more than me

With this one I really struggle and for the reasons you listed.

When you have Cripps Kennedy Hewett Carroll and Cerra as a core plus Elijah Fogarty, WHY are we risking this kid while not getting the best out of him?

All i can say is please just lift for this one. We just can't give them the satisfaction of inflicting a defeat, that could seriously damage our top four hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back