Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember Round 17 2012?

Judd, Kruezer, Henderson, Walker, Waite and more missing. We lost Simpson to a flying Wellingham just the week or so prior. I think we had at least half of our best 22 missing

We played
Levi Casboult (Debut)
Tom Bell (Debut)
Frazer Dale (Debut)
Andrew McInnes (Game 3)
Matthew Watson (Game 10)

Casboult was not ready for a full game of AFL ruck, Watson wasn’t near it and Dale wasn’t even close to AFL quality.

But we won and it was awesome, different circumstances now playing a much lower side on the ladder but it’s still a danger. We need to rally around our players ready or not!

I think we’ll see Kemp/Kennedy forward before Lemmey but if he does play I hope he snags one or two!

**** it, throw caution to the wind!!! We've drafted all these kids over the past few years, but never given the opportunity to see them play.

I want Lemmey, Moir and big Mirk to debut, maybe even Billy....so what if they're 'not ready', what young draftee is?? (unless of course you have a surname Reid or Sheezel).

C'mon Vossy, don't give us the same ol' replacement names again, give the fans some new toys to cheer on, ya miserable sod!!!

If we toss Lord and Carroll in the centre then I would add Kennedy and Cripps to the forward line, Walsh to the wing and Kemp FF.

Cincotta Weitering Newman
Gov Young Cowan
Walsh Hewett Hollands
Kennedy Cripps Owies
Williams Kemp Motlop
Pittonet Lord E Holland

Fantasia (sub), Wilson/Moir , Carroll, Lemmey, Binns

Voss will no doubt still be trying to win so IMO there is absolutely no chance he will pick Moir, Lemney and Wilson, which I think is probably the right call for what I’ve seen of them. I do think Binns and Lord will be rewarded for good form in the 2s with a game this week.

IMO Mirkov deserves a game based on his recent good form (and Pitto’s lack of form) but I expect Voss will play Pitto. I also think Voss should punish Motlop for such a lazy performance last week and play him as the sub but I suspect he’ll start as Corey Durdin doesn’t deserve a call up at the moment.

Aside from that I suspect Voss will go with familiar names like Young, Fantasia and Carroll provided they are fit. The interesting part for me will be what positional moves, if any, Voss makes. I wouldn’t be surprised if we lined up as follows:

Kennedy, Weitering, Cincotta
Cowan, Gov, Newman
Acres, Cripps, Ollie
Motlop, Young, Fantasia
Elijah, Kemp, Owies
Pittonet, Hewett, Walsh
Binns, Carroll, Lord, Williams
Durdin (sub)

Notes:
  • Acres would be the 7th defender in this team with Binns rotating onto the wing.
  • Elijah, Carroll and Lord would be part of a 6 man midfield rotation with Cripps, Walsh and Hewett.
  • Williams would be 7th forward.
  • I’d be looking to sub on Durdin for the least effective (or first injured) of Williams, Fantasia and Motlop.
  • Kennedy would play on Darling releasing Kemp to go forward which I, like others, would like to see.
  • We need to dominate the middle so I’d only pinch hit with Cripps forward
I’m not very confident of a win but I think that’s the best chance for a win with the team Voss is likely to pick. If we had even just one of Harry, Charlie or TDK I’d be a whole lot more confident.

Fantasia, Lord, Young, Carroll, Binns should all play.

Yes - if Fantasia passes his fitness test he’s a definite starter because he knows Cottrells running patterns the best given he did them for two months and I don’t see anyone else being able to play that (thankless) role

Young and Carroll have been called in before so we know the match committee rates them enough

Lord may not have been in line for a debut yet but he’s better than other options so should get in

Binns is still a maybe depending on what role they need as they move other best 18 players around - but more likely than the other options

The sub could also be a debutant - will be interesting to see which way they go

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You don’t know that. Lemmey is very immature and lacks confidence. It’s a mental game for him as opposed to physical. That’s why he slipped so much in the draft

Playing him could easily make it worse
What's the worst that can happen? He has a bad game?

Tell him Kade Simpson didn't get a touch in his first 3 games.

Go out there and have a crack young man. No expectations.

If he doesn't play well he will at least see the level he needs to get to, and might push himself to get there in the pre season.

Other option is he does a few good things and thinks "you know what... I can compete with these guys. They're only human"

Thought Moir was very impressive on the VFL. Unlike the AFL boys who have hit the wall, Moir was running on top of the ground. His defensive efforts were excellent. Tackles hard and they stick.

He's coming from a very long way back but looks like he's gotten himself fit and offers a point of difference. Would love to see him get a debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuesday morning, latest forecast.
Steady rain today, turning into an overnight deluge.
Heavy rain continuing throughout the week and intensifying over the weekend.
Has been raining most days for the last couple of weeks.

Might not be such a bad week to lose talls but we'll definitely need to debut Lord.
It’s very rare that it’s so wet in Perth that talls are nullified.

Most famous was 1978 WAFL grand final where it basically flooded and those campaigners East Perth had the breeze for 4 quarters.

It’s very rare that it’s so wet in Perth that talls are nullified.

Most famous was 1978 WAFL grand final where it basically flooded and those campaigners East Perth had the breeze for 4 quarters.
Was a beautiful day, too.
Go the Royals!

FB: Kemp, Young, Cincotta

Hb: Newman, Weitering, Cowan

C: O.Hollands, Cripps, Acres

HF: E.Hollands, Mcgovern, Williams

FF: Owies, Kennedy, Lemmey

FOL: Pittonet, Walsh, Hewett

INT: Carroll, Motlop, Lord, Binns, Moir(S)

Outs:Martin, Forgarty, Curnow, Saad, McKay Boyd
Ins: Lord, Lemmey, Young, Binns, Moir, Carroll

Fantasia maybe for Moir who's probably not quite ready, would still prefer to see him get some AFL experience as the sub. Mcgovern has to go forward, Kemp was a forward mid as a junior. We haven't got many other options Corey Durdin is in ordaniary form. Akuei and Monahan are simply not up to VFL - They wouldn't be eaten in the AFL. I worry about bringing Carroll in with Kennedy, Hewett and Cripps the midfield is slow as it is. Lord from the Vfl I have watched, adds some burst as a Dow like player but he has real penetration by foot.

We are going to need a serious performance from Pitt and whoever the 2nd Key forward is Gov/Kemp/Young(Please no). Lemmey just needs to create a contest. Could be real ugly, let's hope the kids can fire and we can put up a fight.

cowan weitering newman
mcgovern young cinc
ollie walsh acres
williams kennedy e hollands
cripps kemp motlop
pitto hewitt lord

owies binns carroll best tall avaliable
?

cripps starts midfield at times moves around with kennedy kemp deep forward

Last edited:
The only game a West Aussie like me can easily get to and damn injuries

We win this game and this is how

We have to lower our eyes going forward and have makeshift key forwards who bring the ball to ground or play out of their skin (Walker or Nick Duigan style)

The obvious concern is forward line
1) Harry - Play Kemp forward - tell him to use his mobility. If that doesn’t work swing McGovern forward. Throw West Coast lots of uncertainty - don’t stay with a player and allow the defense to settle. Young (not a fan but) comes in to play 2nd ruck/third tall defender or switches forward instead of Kemp.
2) Martin - play Acres to replace Martin as 3rd marking forward but also as a connecting forward and get Binns in on wing but also to give us more run
3) Charlie - get Kennedy to play full forward, and at times get Cripps to switch forward at times - have Carroll to run through the centre after Cripps attends centre bounces
4) Fogarty - Elijah plays forward switching with Lord who comes in to play run with role in midfield/defensive forward

The second concern is small defenders with good kicks to replace Saad and Boyd
1) Cowan plays small and Akuei comes into play Tall
2) Cincotta - play as a small defender, replaced as sub with Moir, hate to make him sub but he could give us a lift late, and as a forward he gets my tick over Wilson

Unlucky - Wilson (might be brought in instead of Akuei) or Lemmey ( feel we need speed in the west)

Out - McKay, Curnow, Martin, Fog, Saad, Boyd, Cincotta (sub)

In - Young, Carroll, Binns, Lord, Cincotta, Akuei, Moir (sub)

FB - Cowan Weitering Cincotta
HB- Newman McGovern Akuei
C- O.Hollands Cripps Binns
FOL- Pitto Walsh Hewett
 HF- E.Hollands Kemp Acres
FF- Williams Kennedy Owies

Int- Motlop, Young, Lord, Carroll
Sub- Moir

Emerg:
Wilson, Lemmey, C Durdin

Hearing 3 debutants minimum this week

If true I expect some announcements today

Options are Lord Wilson Mirkov Moir Akeui & Lemmey. Is Binns classed as a debut if he starts?

One will probably be a sub which I hate .

3 is a massive change in thinking. Does that mean we have given up on the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back