Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potentially plenty of height in defence. I wouldn't think it will end up that way.

I expect McGovern to play full forward. Just on that, when McGovern was playing forward for us I always felt he was a full forward. But we always played him as a third tall which I always felt he definitely was not. McGovern needs to be able to play his natural game as a forward and not play around others.

Olly Hollands I see as being more of a defender as a forward. But if we play him forward he may impact a bit with his pace, hopefully. I am guessing we see the three way wing rotations as Hollands, Acres and Binns.

Onball group is too slow and has been all season. I am hoping Lord has an impact there. Jack Carroll has helped here but will he get plenty of onball minutes? Potentially with Kennedy playing predominantly forward.

Good luck to Moir. I think a big part of his selection is because we are backing him in to be a mainstay next season. I think he will be given a license to be a stay at home forward.

I'm really not fond of them picking Durdin. His shoulder is not reliable. He either plays properly and injures it or he plays conservitavely and protects it, plays poorly and gets subbed out. If he was fit fine, but he's not and we all know it. Chances he lasts 5 minutes or he has 5 touches by 3/4 time are pretty high and this is why I think this is a poor selection. Has not played a good game since 2022.

Wilson is ready IMO but Lemmy and Akuei aren't.

I would have played Wilson as well, instead of Durdin. McGovern goes forward. Kemp could go forward as well. O Hollands goes back. Kemp could go forward and rotate with Binns and Acres on the wing.

If I see Kemp anywhere near Darling I will need a new TV.
You'll need a new TV then. Weitering takes Allen. Gov most likely goes to Waterman.

As much as I don't think Kemp is a defender (I'd much prefer him forward)..if he can't nullify a 32 year old, 191cm forward who's not know for his one-on-one body work then there aren't many forwards he can handle.

I just hope we don't see any more onballers playing as defenders.

I think we will likely line up like this.

Kemp Young Newman
Cowan Weitering Cincotta
Acres Cripps Binns
E Hollands Kennedy Williams
Motlop McGovern Moir
Pittonet Walsh Hewett
O Hollands (defender) Lord Carroll Owies
Durdin

Plenty of height in defence and no height up forward doesn't make a great deal of sense.

I just hope we don't see any more onballers playing as defenders.

I think we will likely line up like this.

Kemp Young Newman
Cowan Weitering Cincotta
Acres Cripps Binns
E Hollands Kennedy Williams
Motlop McGovern Moir
Pittonet Walsh Hewett
O Hollands (defender) Lord Carroll Owies
Durdin

Plenty of height in defence and no height up forward doesn't make a great deal of sense.
Eagles have four tall forwards named

The only game a West Aussie like me can easily get to and damn injuries

We win this game and this is how

We have to lower our eyes going forward and have makeshift key forwards who bring the ball to ground or play out of their skin (Walker or Nick Duigan style)

The obvious concern is forward line
1) Harry - Play Kemp forward - tell him to use his mobility. If that doesn’t work swing McGovern forward. Throw West Coast lots of uncertainty - don’t stay with a player and allow the defense to settle. Young (not a fan but) comes in to play 2nd ruck/third tall defender or switches forward instead of Kemp.
2) Martin - play Acres to replace Martin as 3rd marking forward but also as a connecting forward and get Binns in on wing but also to give us more run
3) Charlie - get Kennedy to play full forward, and at times get Cripps to switch forward at times - have Carroll to run through the centre after Cripps attends centre bounces
4) Fogarty - Elijah plays forward switching with Lord who comes in to play run with role in midfield/defensive forward

The second concern is small defenders with good kicks to replace Saad and Boyd
1) Cowan plays small and Akuei comes into play Tall
2) Cincotta - play as a small defender, replaced as sub with Moir, hate to make him sub but he could give us a lift late, and as a forward he gets my tick over Wilson

Unlucky - Wilson (might be brought in instead of Akuei) or Lemmey ( feel we need speed in the west)

Out - McKay, Curnow, Martin, Fog, Saad, Boyd, Cincotta (sub)

In - Young, Carroll, Binns, Lord, Cincotta, Akuei, Moir (sub)

FB - Cowan Weitering Cincotta
HB- Newman McGovern Akuei
C- O.Hollands Cripps Binns
FOL- Pitto Walsh Hewett
 HF- E.Hollands Kemp Acres
FF- Williams Kennedy Owies

Int- Motlop, Young, Lord, Carroll
Sub- Moir

Emerg:
Wilson, Lemmey, C Durdin

With no Akuei, Lemmey or Wilson announcements it appears my first thoughts were close (Akuei won’t get a game)

Based on the Ins it looks like we will setup like this

HB- Newman McGovern Kemp
C- Acres Cripps Binns
FOL- Pitto Walsh Hewett
 HF- E.Hollands Young O.Hollands

Int- Motlop, Carroll, Lord, Moir
Sub- Durdin

Emerg:
Wilson, Lemmey, Akeui

Thoughts:
Key Forward - I fear they will play Young forward (2nd ruck) and thus Kemp back - I hope they are open to throwing Kemp or McGovern forward just for instances

Sub - I say play Moir starting and Durdin as sub, Durdin is not fit and Moir needs to be given a chance to shine

7th Defender - hope it’s not Williams or Kennedy, we need some experience up forward. I say Carroll, he has had a few opportunities in middle so give the chance to Lord to go thru the middle. Second option is if Carroll and Lord are okay in middle - Get Hewitt to go down back (share with Carroll).

It’s hard to take Voss seriously after his last 2 post match pressers.

His responses of late in presser sounds as if he is on autopilot, just completely deflated resigned to our fate…or he has just got back from a holiday and hasn’t been watching us play for the last 6 weeks.

It’s really disappointing and almost sad to watch him at the moment.
There's really nothing a coach can say after a few losses in a row that won't come across poorly. I'd challenge anyone to point to any AFL coach whose team suffered a run of unexpected losses but whose post-match press conferences were considered by fans at the time to be above average. Just doesn't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams named on bench so could be sub. Their emergencies are odd because 2/3 are key forwards. Will be interesting to see if they make a late change if there is heavy rain.
They will once again try and exploit us out of the middle with speed and get it in quickly to all there talls.
We’ll need to be on in the middle.

And then the opposite for us, we need it out of the middle as quickly as possible and as low as possible.
IMO if we get slow high entries to often then things could turn a little bad.

With no Akuei, Lemmey or Wilson announcements it appears my first thoughts were close (Akuei won’t get a game)

Based on the Ins it looks like we will setup like this

HB- Newman McGovern Kemp
C- Acres Cripps Binns
FOL- Pitto Walsh Hewett
 HF- E.Hollands Young O.Hollands

Int- Motlop, Carroll, Lord, Moir
Sub- Durdin

Emerg:
Wilson, Lemmey, Akeui

Thoughts:
Key Forward - I fear they will play Young forward (2nd ruck) and thus Kemp back - I hope they are open to throwing Kemp or McGovern forward just for instances

Sub - I say play Moir starting and Durdin as sub, Durdin is not fit and Moir needs to be given a chance to shine

7th Defender - hope it’s not Williams or Kennedy, we need some experience up forward. I say Carroll, he has had a few opportunities in middle so give the chance to Lord to go thru the middle. Second option is if Carroll and Lord are okay in middle - Get Hewitt to go down back (share with Carroll).

Young forward and keep Kemp and Gov back?

Hahahaha we just know that's coming don't we? Worked so well last time...

Young forward and keep Kemp and Gov back?

Hahahaha we just know that's coming don't we? Worked so well last time...

McG as the leading ff.

Crippa as a high chf…..at times.

Young 2nd ruck, resting forward.

JW stays back.

Spends more time on field than ANY other in the comp.

i would have liked another tall in because i feel we are one tall short, but it will be an interesting trial to see how our forward line operates when its on the shorter side.

i hope McGovern stays down back. He was bang on average as a forward and has really found his calling in the backline. If one of them have to move id like it to be Kemp even tho im not sold on him in the forward half.

He seems to be a player who could be anything but also fail to cement a role because he never develops in a position. Been enough KP players over the years who have fallen under this bracket, Josh Schache being one of them.

It’s hard to take Voss seriously after his last 2 post match pressers.

His responses of late in presser sounds as if he is on autopilot, just completely deflated resigned to our fate…or he has just got back from a holiday and hasn’t been watching us play for the last 6 weeks.

It’s really disappointing and almost sad to watch him at the moment.
What is it exactly that you’d like him to say?

Already up to six more pages than the preview of the Hawthorn game with still more than two days to go - I guess there is more interest in the game than some might have thought...

In fairness, the first half of the thread was ranting about how many players should be dropped. The rest is excitement about the possibility of debut players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back