Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't you be just so excited being the 2s coach...
Here we go....get your teeth around that lot. Billy, Lem and possibly Dom will be the travelling emergencies so will come out of the side.....so we're down to big Mirk and Monahan as the senior reps.

We finally get a look at Michael Rudd, and Will Hayes putting on the saddle again.

Could get a little ugly though...

1723809656908.png

Potentially plenty of height in defence. I wouldn't think it will end up that way.

I expect McGovern to play full forward. Just on that, when McGovern was playing forward for us I always felt he was a full forward. But we always played him as a third tall which I always felt he definitely was not. McGovern needs to be able to play his natural game as a forward and not play around others.

Olly Hollands I see as being more of a defender as a forward. But if we play him forward he may impact a bit with his pace, hopefully. I am guessing we see the three way wing rotations as Hollands, Acres and Binns.

Onball group is too slow and has been all season. I am hoping Lord has an impact there. Jack Carroll has helped here but will he get plenty of onball minutes? Potentially with Kennedy playing predominantly forward.

Good luck to Moir. I think a big part of his selection is because we are backing him in to be a mainstay next season. I think he will be given a license to be a stay at home forward.

I'm really not fond of them picking Durdin. His shoulder is not reliable. He either plays properly and injures it or he plays conservitavely and protects it, plays poorly and gets subbed out. If he was fit fine, but he's not and we all know it. Chances he lasts 5 minutes or he has 5 touches by 3/4 time are pretty high and this is why I think this is a poor selection. Has not played a good game since 2022.

Wilson is ready IMO but Lemmy and Akuei aren't.

I would have played Wilson as well, instead of Durdin. McGovern goes forward. Kemp could go forward as well. O Hollands goes back. Kemp could go forward and rotate with Binns and Acres on the wing.
Ollie will spend a little time back this week..

Despite our extensive injury list the side as selected for Sunday is probably a better team than the Bombers put on the park tonight.

If we lose it will be a further disgrace.

What is it exactly that you’d like him to say?

Something better than what he said.

Let’s remember after the Collingwood loss he spent a lot of time talking about how was proud of our last quarter comeback…after being out played for the majority of the game by, on form, one of the poorest performed teams in the league at the time. I’m not sure sure about you but I wasn’t proud of their effort that night and I sure as shit wasn’t expecting to hear that from our head coach.

Last week after one of the most demoralising performances in my lifetime it seemed like he wanted to talk more about how the players are inconsistent as they were when he arrived…three years ago. How ****ing long does he need to get them to play consistently?!?

Compare and contrast to Mitchell who ripped his team after a shit performance against Sydney…in his second year as coach and it’s not hard to understand why they have sped past us.

I understand that there is a fine line with this stuff but it feels like he is another Teague or Bolton who seems scared shitless to criticise the players. There is always an excuse for the guys. I’ve also got no doubt there are different conversations being had behind closed doors but just for once can a coach have the cajoles to call them out in public for being selfish.

Last edited:
Could be why he’ll be made the sub, not the tank for a full game but…
Half a game exposure
Moir is best utilised as a starter, and he's been playing wing in the VFL to build up running capacity. I'd back him in a forward role.

We've got a lot of other forward options who are struggling more at the moment.

CFC 1 year younger on average, and 80 games average to 112.
That's about 2 seasons of experience to go with the age gap which suggests some mature age recruits and/or limited exposure for younger players, but I suspect average weight is about the same despite the fact we've gone small.

Still comes down to basic competency and tactics.
The crazy thing is. Even if we lose, we will most likely go in to the last round with a win getting us to 8th.
Freo has an incredibly tough run, and with 3 teams currently vying for 2nd, GWS and Port are not going to take it easy on them. That competition also leaves the Dogs vulnerable to drop out.

If we win both games, our chances are very good.
Here we go....get your teeth around that lot. Billy, Lem and possibly Dom will be the travelling emergencies so will come out of the side.....so we're down to big Mirk and Monahan as the senior reps.

We finally get a look at Michael Rudd, and Will Hayes putting on the saddle again.

Could get a little ugly though...

View attachment 2081377
Hayes and Lambert will likely play from the emergencies, and that honestly makes for a very strong contingent of VFL players.

Completely winnable, but a dead rubber for them.

Gov, Kennedy, Moir our taller forward options. Kennedy and Cripps alternating b/w KPF and mid duties. Possibly both often I50 at the one time. With Kennedy and Crippa spending more time fwd, we’re playing 6 mids for this very reason - Cripps, Walsh, Hewitt, Carroll, Kennedy and Lord.

My very strong mail is O Hollands across HB, hence why Binns in. Cinc 7th defender.

Last edited:
Gov, Kennedy, Moir our taller forward options. Kennedy and Cripps alternating b/w FF and mid duties. Possibly both often I50 at the one time. With Kennedy and Crippa spending plenty of time fwd, we’re playing 6 mids for this very reason - Cripps, Walsh, Hewitt, Carroll, Kennedy and Lord.

My very strong mail is O Hollands across HB, hence why Binns in. Cinc 7th defender.
Has O Hollands won a 1 on 1 contest his year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a fair weather supporter - mainly because for my own health

I will however take one for the team tomorrow and go and support the boys
Drag my wife and kids down there and hope I can survive without getting too frustrated/angry/disappointed - with all the kids being played I will try to go with a different perspective

Praying for a miracle (Lord?), suggest all the other West Aussie Blues get down there in the rain and cheer on the boys in our time of need.

I doubt they'll experiment too much with any of our defenders going forward.
Remember that Allen kicked 5 last week, Waterman has kicked 40+ for the year and is a difficult match up.
Darling hasn't had a great year but still needs attention.
So I doubt we'll throw everything in the air, especially with a wet forecast.
Most of the rain is forecast for Saturday but there's still a further 15mm forecast for Sunday, so even if the rain eases for the game it's still going to be a very slippery surface.
IMHO, Young will go to FF with instructions to bring it to ground at all costs if he can't mark it.
Kennedy to CHF.

Above all else, I want to see an all in effort from the whole side and people other than Cripps and Kennedy standing up for the younger players.
I'm tired of seeing them as the only ones that fly the flag.

Gov, Kennedy, Moir our taller forward options. Kennedy and Cripps alternating b/w KPF and mid duties. Possibly both often I50 at the one time. With Kennedy and Crippa spending more time fwd, we’re playing 6 mids for this very reason - Cripps, Walsh, Hewitt, Carroll, Kennedy and Lord.

Ollie to provide the run & carry from half back…..
Better get a shepherd or 2 so he don’t get run down from behind…..

I doubt they'll experiment too much with any of our defenders going forward.
Remember that Allen kicked 5 last week, Waterman has kicked 40+ for the year and is a difficult match up.
Darling hasn't had a great year but still needs attention.
So I doubt we'll throw everything in the air, especially with a wet forecast.
Most of the rain is forecast for Saturday but there's still a further 15mm forecast for Sunday, so even if the rain eases for the game it's still going to be a very slippery surface.
IMHO, Young will go to FF with instructions to bring it to ground at all costs if he can't mark it.
Kennedy to CHF.

Above all else, I want to see an all in effort from the whole side and people other than Cripps and Kennedy standing up for the younger players.
I'm tired of seeing them as the only ones that fly the flag.
Still think it may have blown through by game time...

1723850711447.png

Something better than what he said.

Let’s remember after the Collingwood loss he spent a lot of time talking about how was proud of our last quarter comeback…after being out played for the majority of the game by, on form, one of the poorest performed teams in the league at the time. I’m not sure sure about you but I wasn’t proud of their effort that night and I sure as shit wasn’t expecting to hear that from our head coach.

Last week after one of the most demoralising performances in my lifetime it seemed like he wanted to talk more about how the players are inconsistent as they were when he arrived…three years ago. How ****ing long does he need to get them to play consistently?!?

Compare and contrast to Mitchell who ripped his team after a shit performance against Sydney…in his second year as coach and it’s not hard to understand why they have sped past us.

I understand that there is a fine line with this stuff but it feels like he is another Teague or Bolton who seems scared shitless to criticise the players. There is always an excuse for the guys. I’ve also got no doubt there are different conversations being had behind closed doors but just for once can a coach have the cajoles to call them out in public for being selfish.

coach steps into a club that's sacked x number of coaches in reasonable succession. this stuff breeds itself sometimes.

Not seen Binns. Is he fast? Can he play the high half forward role?

I’d say similar to Ollie. He’s an accumulator, knows how to find it, and a hard runner. Great engine and worker

His decision making and physicality is the question mark at this stage but he has a lot to like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back