Autopsy 2024 Rd 24 Heartbreaker. Happy happy joy joy. Nothing to see here.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 24 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Shift the zone, then who knows. Anyway we're in so lets move on

There was no shifting the zone lol... the players were exhausted, they put everything into that last quarter fight back and in the dying minutes when the Saints were pretty much man on man, it was never going to happen.

You can move on if you want, but like I've already told you, Acres decision to go long wasn't that bad. We created a stoppage and drained time off the clock.

Can't blame Acres for Pittonet's inability to take a mark or shit stoppage work... why was Byrnes free from the d50 stoppage? Why did Saad peel off Higgins in the contest?

Saad has lost his man so many times this season in d50 stoppages it's infuriating that its still happening. He is a senior player and needs to be a leader out there...

Wasn't upset with the way the boys played, couldn't have asked for anything more out of VFL team. However, was upset with our inability to set up in defensive 50 for the last goal, again. The entire team should have flooded defensive 50, except 3 players. It should have looked like a quagmire of bodies.

Third time this season we've got it horribly wrong in the dying seconds in defensively 50.

After a night to sleep on a day of weird emotions my thoughts on the game have settled. Initially crushed as we all were, but I think in retrospect it was a mammoth performance by a crippled side, just about literally. 19 out and we almost pipped one of the in form teams in the comp... if we managed to win it would've been the clubs biggest win for decades, sans perhaps finals. Even then... with that injury list, playing the 2nd to last man essentially, would've been huge.

As it is, we have snuck in and that's what matters, and with that perhaps found a new method or 2 of playing and have discovered the mental steel this group has - skippered by the steeliest man who ever footballed.

For us, more than perhaps any team finishing 8th in history, just getting in was crucial. With the amount of cavalry coming back for week 1 of the finals we're as much as a chance of causing damage or going on a magical run as any no.8 team ever.

Saints laughing at us but they have nothing to laugh at really, couldn't smash a team with 11 of our first team out, funny how they think they won the GF.

There was no shifting the zone lol... the players were exhausted, they put everything into that last quarter fight back and in the dying minutes when the Saints were pretty much man on man, it was never going to happen.

You can move on if you want, but like I've already told you, Acres decision to go long wasn't that bad. We created a stoppage and drained time off the clock.

Can't blame Acres for Pittonet's inability to take a mark or shit stoppage work... why was Byrnes free from the d50 stoppage? Why did Saad peel off Higgins in the contest?

Saad has lost his man so many times this season in d50 stoppages it's infuriating that its still happening. He is a senior player and needs to be a leader out there...
No one being on Byrnes or Higgins clacker in that last minute is what really stands out. With so little time left it was very obvious that no time or space could be afforded to them. Can we finally learn from this and be better is the question?

After a night to sleep on a day of weird emotions my thoughts on the game have settled. Initially crushed as we all were, but I think in retrospect it was a mammoth performance by a crippled side, just about literally. 19 out and we almost pipped one of the in form teams in the comp... if we managed to win it would've been the clubs biggest win for decades, sans perhaps finals. Even then... with that injury list, playing the 2nd to last man essentially, would've been huge.

As it is, we have snuck in and that's what matters, and with that perhaps found a new method or 2 of playing and have discovered the mental steel this group has - skippered by the steeliest man who ever footballed.

For us, more than perhaps any team finishing 8th in history, just getting in was crucial. With the amount of cavalry coming back for week 1 of the finals we're as much as a chance of causing damage or going on a magical run as any no.8 team ever.
Anyone watch Lions v Drug Cheats game?

The Lions were very ordinary...

Anyone watch Lions v Drug Cheats game?

The Lions were very ordinary...
They may have hit their strong run of form early and started to fade, the past couple weeks they've not been up to standard. They looked a shoo-in for top 4 with the form they showed, but then faded.

Do we think Cripps got any votes this game? If he's lucky maybe 1?

Personally I think he's pretty cooked. I noticed very early in the game he didn't have a lot of run and got caught wrestling or just standing out the back of contests, it didn't look like he had much in him. But, as he always does, his strength of will brought him into the game and his 3rd qtr nearly dragged us over the line.

It's quite remarkable, you could say other guys had better games over 4 qtrs, but no one brought us into a winning position like he did from 1 qtr of herculean effort. He was gassed in the 4th and imo looked gassed at the start of the first, but still just found a way to impact.

For all the Young bashes. He was alot better than Weitering today. Kept Sharman goalless.

Lets be honest here, this is probably his best game in a LONG time. Like we know he can be VERY good (e.g Yesterday).

But there are many games where he is liability and a panic merchant.

You don't know what you going to get from him from week to week. If he can performed 80% from what we saw yesterday then I have no issues with him. His bad and good games are far inbetween.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think he's pretty cooked. I noticed very early in the game he didn't have a lot of run and got caught wrestling or just standing out the back of contests, it didn't look like he had much in him. But, as he always does, his strength of will brought him into the game and his 3rd qtr nearly dragged us over the line.

It's quite remarkable, you could say other guys had better games over 4 qtrs, but no one brought us into a winning position like he did from 1 qtr of herculean effort. He was gassed in the 4th and imo looked gassed at the start of the first, but still just found a way to impact.

Not his best game. A very good game. What you expect from a captain, trying to drag the team over the line when we needed him the most. His 3rd qtr kept us in the game. Saw him rubbing his shoulder, carrying an injury perhaps?

Probably just tired, played all the H&A season. Won't be suprised he is super gassed carrying the depleted midfield.

AFL Match Report went like this for best players:

One could argue Wanganeen-Milera was best on, but no way did Sinclair or Steele have better games than Crippa....

1724629267545-png.2092040

Motts kicked a goal in the last so id say well done vossy!
He was also responsible for Byrnes kick into 50 leading to the Higgins goal.

Have a look at the Access All Areas wrap-up on the AFL app - Byrnes his direct opponent and looking at Motts' initial positioning you'd swear St Kilda were kicking the other way, then just lets him wander over to the stoppage unattended and get the easy handball receive :drunk:

Doesn't chase, doesn't apply pressure, doesn't even stick on his man when required defensively. If he's playing vs Brisbane I'll spew up! /terrywallace

Binns was absolutely cooked 20 minutes on the clock last quarter, tried to get off for a rest but was on the wrong side of the ground.
Motioned to Blacres to swap wings after the next centre bounce but the ball came out his side and stayed on his side for a few minutes.
I don’t think he managed to get off in the end, probably cost us in that last transition where Phillipou ended up missing the goal.

Thought his kicking was brilliant, no rainbow balls, he’s a player. Anyone that finds the ball as easily as he does at the next level down, and has an elite tank and better than average skills is going to make it.

Cannot believe he hadn’t played up until the WC game, just an indictment on the MC

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Disagree on the last sentence. His defensive lapses still cost us on occasion, it looked like the saints were attacking his wing, and got out more often than not. Offensively, he’s been very good the last two weeks. Don’t know whether you can carry him into a finals series against a team that moves the ball as well as the lions can

Our defensive set-up after Kemp's point was diabolical. Slow learners this group...
While true, this wouldn't have been a problem had he slotted the 25m kick from right out in front...

I get they're fatigued etc but it will never cease to amaze me that professional footballers can't execute the most simple of skills when required.

At the moment, he plays a quarter or two and gets injured again.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah agree, sorry but I wouldn't be taking either Cerra or Martin into that final. Just too risky, you can almost guarantee one of them goes down before halftime.

And even without them we'll still be taking about 5 players who are very not match fit into a high intensity interstate final for their first game back. Nice that we fell into finals and all, but we're still toast make no mistake. Hope making the 8 doesn't affect the clubs' thinking too much, this season was a bed shitting of epic proportions.

Last edited:
Might not be a popular view, but I thought Pitto did very well against one of the competition's best ruckman in Marshall. Kicking a goal was also a bonus.

It probably wasn't obvious on the TV coverage but it looked to me that Weitering looked "out of sorts" for a lot of the game. Head down, jogging rather than sprinting etc. Don't think it was an injury, he just looked quite flat. Weird.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 24 Heartbreaker. Happy happy joy joy. Nothing to see here.

Back