Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's sum up some of the match committee's blunders pre (and during) game:

1. Picking and playing three small forwards (none of whom was in good form) - Owies did his bit granted. The other two were invisible...Durds didn't even lay one tackle.
2. Picking Kennedy as sub - Bam Bam had been in really good form... funnily, on the night, Hewett had a shocker - double whammy.
3. Kemp not selected - Kemp's still very much a work in progress, but he takes the game on and is an effective 3rd man up. We seemed to have no one filling that role....
4. The ruck dilemma - whenever Pitto is playing, TDK plays like a pig in the CBBs - he might as well have been wearing a Pies' jumper in those moments. Not saying we shouldn't go with two necessarily, but it needs to be optimised somehow.

All in all, the Pies wanted it more on the night. They played like a team, we looked like a bunch of individuals all trying to do it single handedly, with cute moves that inevitably backfired.

Cerra, Curnow in particular need to be a lot more involved.

Is Paddy Dow gettable? Was a high draft pick and not getting a lot of game time

🤪
He's recovering from severe knee bruising during pre-season, played okay for Sandy last week and will get another game this arvo before possible senior selection next week.
It will still take awhile to settle in and gather confidence at a new club. I'd expect him to be a regular mid before the byes.

He's recovering from severe knee bruising during pre-season, played okay for Sandy last week and will get another game this arvo before possible senior selection next week.
It will still take awhile to settle in and gather confidence at a new club. I'd expect him to be a regular mid before the byes.
Hopefully he does well. I know it’s been well discussed but I think he got a bit of a raw deal with us the past year or two.

We do desperately need speed in the midfield.

No plan B…

We were on top and the Pies put an extra player at the contest, we followed and then they put another, we followed. We ended up with 4 forwards.

Speed at contest is what beat us. With extra bodies in there, the Pies could exit at speed, our brut strength at stoppages was nullified because they had 2/3 tacklers on our players and yes we had the ball…

Sam Walsh’s game was a stats game. For our key midfield runner it was poor. His vision is awful, why he can’t deliver to open players is beyond me. Daicos schooled him in bring teammates into the play, finding space and then finally humiliated him with the winning goal. That was squarely on Walsh! No touch on their best player 30m out from goal with a minute to go, come on…

Things that need to change, get a medium 3rd marking forward in, NOT TDK.

Pitto must play ruck all game.

Charlie needs to get up the ground more, allow him to roam a bit.

Try somebody, anybody as a small forward.

Fix the forward structure…

Really………

Open window to the box, most likely coping advice from the outside mutants about his sons “ability” and other “things” all night.

His son seals the game for the team he obviously adores, has played a legendary career with, and he gives them back a bit of “get that up ya”……

Seriously, the world we live in now……..

Would expect that’s exactly what happened - Neanderthals yelling abuse all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo I think durds will come good. But, someone needs to sit him down and give him a rocket for flying with McKay & pitto in the same marking contest.
Hands are pretty much tied atm in terms of dropping making a statement and dropping a couple of smalls as we don’t have coverage yet. Although Martin may come back in and if that’s the case I’d give fantasia a spell

There were more than 7 times at Centre Bounces where our midfielders were prevented direct access to the ball.

Thats just poor from our mids…

Get in front, stand on edge of circle, stand next to each other…

This happened to Judd, Diesel, Bradley every week…

Too worried about their own stats and not playing as a team.

This is not some new tactic!

Nothing wrong with being 173 cm's, plenty of quality footballer's are around that height. Kosy Pickett, Caleb Daniel and the young hawk (known as the wizard). Besides, I am the same height and I am an elite user and tackler. Well, in my dreams.

i'm 180cm and have elite tackle and ball use. it's not your height, it's how you use what you have.

our smalls are a bit of a barometer. unfortunately this year they get amongst the goals and we still can't get over the line. during our horror run last year we struggled to get goals in general play. we're bringing a sawn-off to a shoot out.

Against GWS we had a similar setup and it worked well, pushed direct opponents closer the the centre bounce circle creating space on the outside

Our positioning against the Pies was similar, difference being we didn't force them to the ball drop, or release contact earlier and get on the move

Starting position was all wrong. 3-4 steps closer to the circle would have made it impossible for Pendles to stop Cripps.

Starting position was all wrong. 3-4 steps closer to the circle would have made it impossible for Pendles to stop Cripps.

So many areas and moments of a game to dissect. If we had won the game, media would find another snippet to tell the world why we won

It's rare to dominate all metrics, even a single facet

We lost the centre clearances by 1, so it wasn't the reason we lost

So many areas and moments of a game to dissect. If we had won the game, media would find another snippet to tell the world why we won

It's rare to dominate all metrics, even a single facet

We lost the centre clearances by 1, so it wasn't the reason we lost

Agreed but it killed our momentum…

Thats just poor from our mids…

Get in front, stand on edge of circle, stand next to each other…

This happened to Judd, Diesel, Bradley every week…

Too worried about their own stats and not playing as a team.

This is not some new tactic!

Poor coaching for not directing a different tactic be used to combat what was being done.

Charlie needs a kick up the ass to offer more without the ball. Pressure, chase and tackle. McKay does it…
Hoping with Martin back - they’ll play Charlie higher - when TDK playing forward.

Charlie needs to lead up though - use the tank & athleticism to find space & wheel.

Leaves Harry, TDK & Martin as marking options - hopefully Motlop & Fog not too far away!

Back