Preview 2024 Round 24 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday 25th August 3:20PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a great win given how many injures we have, but West Coast were absolutely horrible and it’s hard to take much away from that game.

Kemp and Ollie warrant another crack in those roles, but I’m a long way from convinced that they’ve found new homes.
Not so.

Reckon it was the circuit breaker our boys needed to get back on track.

A huge pressure release.... the collectives smiles were smiles of relief....and joy.

And the game was a wake up call to the coaches and MC about giving the youngsters a crack - and rolling the dice re positional change ups!

If Saints win they would most likely finish 12th instead of 13th which would mean a tougher draw next season

Bottom 6 teams get to play more games against bottom 6

Not sure the Saints will figure that out but it would make a material difference in outcomes

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think we’ll find that St K will effectively put their cue in the rack.

It will also impact their 1st round free agency compensation for Battle so the impact is 2-fold.

Little incentive to win (outside of pride).

I'm not sure who is good to go for this game but they wont be as easy as wet toast

They were unstoppable against the cats

We need to get the team selection right and our boys just have to play out of their skins..again
We need to show up from the start of the game and not give the Saints a sniff

Even if Curnow and Harry are available I’d love to see us keep Kemp forward. Having 3 big guys who all move extremely well would be a nightmare for the oppo and make us a lot more unpredictable. Would also allow us to push a couple of them a lot higher and be a bail out option for our defense down the line.
Yep, CC to HFF if/when he comes back, rolling up the ground and also back to the square.
CC - H - EH
Owies - BK - ZW
Options from C.Durd’s, Moir, MK

I see the opposite. It’s been our issue all year. Way too predictable and we get picked off and sides run from our fwd 50

Today we went in low and our small forward pressure was awesome. If we didn’t score, we locked it in. It’s why WCE only scored 4 goals

How many sides now play with 3 tall forwards?
2 of the talls would be mobile, 193cm’s. 1 with a bullet pass outside 50m too.

No bombing it in is the key.

Bit concerned about Williams - was called a hammy and then quickly corrected to cramp. Guess we will see on Tues

Thought he grabbed his back after landing in a marking contest. Though it may have been an errant knee or boney contact. Either that or he strained something, hammy stems from the lower back. Or cramp…

Never tell with ZW, seems to want (or need) to be cotton wool.

Akuei in for Gov.
Fantasia in for Durdin.
Wilson in for Williams.

Cupboard is bare

I can’t see any of the injured crew getting close enough to play and we shouldn't risk any of the guys with soft tissue damage.
Take the punt on the same squad plus Fantasia and hope we get through.

If we manage to see week 1 of the finals the majority should be ready to go.

If we bring the intensity we had yesterday we can absolutely beat the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a nightmare to pick teams for without an injury update... just to give you an idea, all these players will be a test for this week:

Williams
C.Durdin
McKay
Fantasia
Martin
Marchbank
Curnow
Saad

I don't think Martin will get up, but everyone else is a decent chance, plus we've got Mirkov, Lemmey, Akuei, and Wilson all in usable form.

At this point, there is no reason whatsoever to pick Martin or Marchbank. If we're retaining them next year we need to ice them for the preseason, and if we're not then we're better off playing a longer-term option instead anyway. Fantasia is probably in a similar position, though less likely to be let go given he's contracted, so just park him and prep him for preseason.

Losing Williams and Durdin would suck, given it's another significant blow to our forward stocks. But at the same time, neither are so critical to our fortunes that we should be risking them for the sake of a win. Ditto with Saad, we can cover him against a side like St Kilda, but will need him against some of the premier small forwards in September. Err on the side of caution, I think.

Curnow and McKay are the real headscratchers. If they're good to go, they should play. If we're going to sneak into finals and try to pull off a miracle run, we're going to need them, and structurally it would be helpful to see how a forward line that includes one or both talls PLUS Kemp would work.

Williams and Durdin out, one of the key forwards in, plus Moir promoted to a starting spot.

Newman, Weitering, Young
Hollands, McGovern, Cowan
Acres, Cripps, Binns
Pittonet, Hewett, Carroll
Hollands, Kemp, Motlop
Owies, McKay/Curnow, Moir
I/C: Cincotta, Walsh, Kennedy, Lord
Sub: ???

Looking at that bench....I'd even go so far as to suggest that it wouldn't be unreasonable to rest/manage Walsh. Cincotta and Kennedy are mostly mids who can play elsewhere (half back, forward), while Lord is predominantly a mid. Walsh is battling, he's not going to be the difference in a game in his current state, so giving him a fortnight off could be well worthwhile. Bring in someone like Wilson to play as a half back rotation, meaning Cincotta takes more of the midfield load.

Be great if Harry was back.

Agree, win this game and give Charlie the extended break, that would be brilliant.

No brainer to keep Kemp forward but I would have him play coming off Wilke and not let him take those intercept marks. He killed the Cats.

As for who else may come back in of those rated one to two weeks, it will be very interesting.

Highly unlikely little Durds will come up sadly, was his best game. (we can't take a trick :mad:)

Moir not really a like for like replacement but he has earnt a spot IMO. NOT FANTASIA!

Hoping Zac is OK. 🤞

Last edited:
I think the equation is:

We win, we're in.

We lose, and Freo lose, we're in.

We lose and Freo win, we're out.

Can't finish higher than 8th, can't finish lower than 9th.

Brisbane at the Gabba in an Elim final waiting for us.

Scratch this, this is assuming the Dogs and Hawks win. A Dogs v GWS game could actually shape up the finals a lot. A lot to play for this week Blue Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back