Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a Soccer aficionado ......but isn't that basically the role of the modern Soccer Manager ?

That said, the basic gameplan has to be established, so recruiting & development know the end goal
Agree with all that - I think AFL coaches are maybe getting closer to soccer managers and NFL head coaches. You're a man manager and leader - but a lot of the actual vision and innovation happens on the ground with the line coaches.

It would be like us having direct access to Draper, Dodson and Sharp in consecutive drafts...quite some leg up eh
Both sides that played in the grand final have had massive advantages through their Academy (and father sons).

I think clubs trying to rebuild through traditional means at the draft - St Kilda, North Melb - are always going to struggle.

You need some kind of advantage. Just hoping you'll be smarter at the draft isn't enough.

If you don't have a strategic mindset, then you better be a genius game day decision maker.

Unfortunately, Nicks is neither. Lacks strategy and does not make the right calls, on game day or selection. He only has one lever and that's the "effort" lever, which he believes so strongly in and clouds his other decisions.

This basically just makes him the "father figure" and paying a head coach to be a "fatherly figure" is the biggest waste of money. This is argue could/should be someone else outside the coach.
Yeah, except Fagan is neither of those, and Fagan just won a flag.

The Lions have been smart about identifying footy thinkers to put around Fagan. So have Port with Hinkley.

So were we when we had folks like Rahilly.

That's our big issue now. We should add Montgomery AND Dew. Hell, let's bring back Teague. And add David Noble while we're there, and pay Balme to be a board member. I don't care - but we need genuine footy assets in that team.

This basically just makes him the "father figure" and paying a head coach to be a "fatherly figure" is the biggest waste of money. This is argue could/should be someone else outside the coach.

This is exactly what Fagan is. You've got it around the wrong way - this feels like the structure that many successful teams in different sports are leaning towards.

The Lions have been smart about identifying footy thinkers to put around Fagan. So have Port with Hinkley.

That's our big issue now. We should add Montgomery AND Dew. Hell, let's bring back Teague. And add David Noble while we're there, and pay Balme to be a board member. I don't care - but we need genuine footy assets in that team.
With all those, why are we keeping nicks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all that - I think AFL coaches are maybe getting closer to soccer managers and NFL head coaches. You're a man manager and leader - but a lot of the actual vision and innovation happens on the ground with the line coaches.
The greatest soccer managers, Ferguson, pep, Mourinho, even Postecoglou all had a distinct startegic vision and system in terms of how they want to play and they would be uncompromising in seeing this vision become a reality. They are in complete control and are the key decision makers.

That's a terrible example.

I can't comment on NFL as I'm not familiar.

Never a truer line written about the AFC
Or anyone.

Swans have had quite a few duds in the first round. Geelong have had a whole bunch of first round failures.

And yet they're consistently successful because they've realised their other competitive advantages.

You can't win by getting the same picks as everyone else and somehow thinking you're just going to be better than them.

The greatest soccer managers, Ferguson, pep, Mourinho, even Postecoglou all had a distinct startegic vision and system in terms of how they want to play and they would be uncompromising in seeing this vision become a reality. They are in complete control and are the key decision makers.

That's a terrible example.

I can't comment on NFL as I'm not familiar.
Sure, they have a culture and vision for the team.

But they have innovative line coaches that surround them. They're not in the weeds, they're able to lead, motivate and unite.

Anyway, that's my view of where many teams are going. Obviously others do it differently, but it's interesting that one of this "fatherly motivator" group just won the flag.

This is exactly what Fagan is. You've got it around the wrong way - this feels like the structure that many successful teams in different sports are leaning towards.
Nicks isn't a father figure though. He just threw one of his players under the bus in the media and encouraged other senior players to do similar.

He's nothing like Fagan in that respect who seems extremely supportive of his players at all times

I don't know Fagan or know what goes on in that coaches box so can't say.

If he's not a known strategic thinker then you have to be great game day decision maker. Being a great game day decision maker doesn't mean you come up with the ideas, it means you read the game, know when to listen to others and change things at the right time. You don't have to be the source of those ideas. You're like the orchestrater. I suspect Fagan does a good job of this.

Nicks is clearly neither.

In fact I'm sure Nicks is the assistant that is the father figure in his previous roles, which is how it should be and is his strength.

That is exactly what he is.

And he just won the flag.
Who’s the tactical mastermind at Brisbane in that case? Genuinely asking as I’m unfamiliar with their assistants right now

Always assumed Fagan had the right balance of tactics and man management, but just couldn’t get over the hump

Hasn't it been said Nicks is a bit of a control freak vs hearing Fagan or one of the assistants talking about how he's very open to delegating duties.
I’m fine with a control freak coach, if they know what they’re doing (clearly doesn’t apply to our club right now)

Sure, they have a culture and vision for the team.

But they have innovative line coaches that surround them. They're not in the weeds, they're able to lead, motivate and unite.

Anyway, that's my view of where many teams are going. Obviously others do it differently, but it's interesting that one of this "fatherly motivator" group just won the flag.
No, they have a distinct they want to play. They have a system that is distinct in style and structure even when they move clubs.

This is a trait of the best football managers, regardless of their assistants.

Like I said not sure about NFL though.

I don't know Fagan or know what goes on in that coaches box so can't say.

If he's not a known strategic thinker then you have to be great game day decision maker. Being a great game day decision maker doesn't mean you come up with the ideas, it means you read the game, know when to listen to others and change things at the right time. You don't have to be the source of those ideas. You're like the orchestrater. I suspect Fagan does a good job of this.

Nicks is clearly neither.

In fact I'm sure Nicks is the assistant that is the father figure in his previous roles, which is how it should be and is his strength.
One of Fagans strengths is/was he is a teacher first . He was an assistant for 16 years

He is instructing his players in a way that encourages them but also reminds them to play his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back