Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

They can't get into this year's draft AND get Luko. Houston will only garner them 1x 1st rounder, and they're not offering up anyone else worth a 1st round pick. Luko shouldn't cost them a 1st round pick, but almost certainly will. One in, one out.
I think Carlton cave on pick 11.

I think Houston brings them 11 and F2. They also use their F1 for Luko and a F2.

Leaves them with three F2s to trade to a side needing points next year.

I'm not quite sure we will, seeing it'll require demoting someone to the rookie list to fit him in. At the moment, we're looking at four open list spots on our main list as McHenry, Gollant, Sloane, and Himmelberg are without contract alongside 3 open rookie pick spots(?).

I hope we do find someone who is willing to take that bullet, seeing Welsh looks quite the player.

I think the mandate is you need three incoming players from any source (trade/draft/FA) and three outgoings. For instance, Collingwood only took two draft picks last year.

I would be surprised if we're upgrading anyone from the rookie list. I would equally be surprised if we're taking a pick past 4 in the ND, outside of maybe covering an F/S bid.

Collingwood took 2 draft picks but elevated three rookies to the senior list, which counts as five selections

We are coming from 15th with a dud coach.

And every club can nominate a bunch of players that should see improvement, that’s the problem with simplistic clapper opinions, no awareness we are in a competition where other clubs aren’t also aiming to improve.
Correct, its exactly the reason why I was always weary of trading our F1.

I definitely can see us ending up again as a bottom 5 team next year, especially if we get a tough draw.

It certainly could end up that way. I was thinking before today there was likely a role for Berry in '25 in our best 22, seeing a high defensive/middling offensive output player was coming in vogue as someone to have in a midfield rotation, however, Peatling would likely strip that away from Berry without too many issues.

He does offer a bit of depth in that regard, but the other side of the coin is depth can be a double-edged sword if you're not expected to make a deep run at a flag.

I think it's quite possible, though that's just reading the tea leaves with how late this interest is. My guess is we missed out on Luko and have swung to our next undecided target. It doesn't bode well that we'll get Peatling, however, we do have a few pathways into our midfield which could sway it.
Getting Cumming put us in a better position to get Peatling.

I'm not quite sure we will, seeing it'll require demoting someone to the rookie list to fit him in. At the moment, we're looking at four open list spots on our main list as McHenry, Gollant, Sloane, and Himmelberg are without contract alongside 3 open rookie pick spots(?).

I hope we do find someone who is willing to take that bullet, seeing Welsh looks quite the player.

I think the mandate is you need three incoming players from any source (trade/draft/FA) and three outgoings. For instance, Collingwood only took two draft picks last year.

I would be surprised if we're upgrading anyone from the rookie list. I would equally be surprised if we're taking a pick past 4 in the ND, outside of maybe covering an F/S bid.
Hamill and Burgess also no contract.

No - trades & free agency do not count towards the minimum total.

Here's what the AFL Rules document says:
(d) Number of Draft Selections
(i) At a National Draft Selection Meeting:
(A) each Club shall exercise a minimum of 3 Draft selections (including selections forfeited under Rules 8.7, 10.11(a), 13.4(b), 14.4(d) and 15.8(b)); and
(B) no Club may exercise more than 3 Draft selections if the consequence would be that it would exceed the number of Players which it is entitled to include on its Primary List pursuant to these Rules.
(ii) If a Club, prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting, has committed to draft a Player at the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting that Player will be deemed to be included on the Club’s Primary List when determining how many Draft selections a Club is entitled to exercise at the National Draft Selection Meeting.
The rules mentioned in the "selections forfeited" clause are:
8.7 - Father/Son Listing Forego Draft Selection
10.11 - Inclusion of Rookie List Player onto Primary List
13.4 - Inclusion of International Scholarship List Player onto Primary List
14.4 - Listing of Club Academy Player
15.8(b) - Qualified NGA Player Draft Selection

Collingwood upgraded 3 rookies to their primary list - Ash Johnson, Oleg Markov and Oscar Steene. This is why they weren't obliged to take a 3rd ND selection.

The only reason to do so would be to reduce the number of draft selections we are required to make. Other than that, I agree with you.

I would love Adelaide to come out publicly and state that “while we totally respect Luko’s decision to nominate Port, we are willing to include our F1 if anything should change through trade week”.

This would give GC a lot of leverage and at worst force Port to give up a F1, and at best land us Luko.
Luko definitely does not want to play for us, but I do like your suggestion as it truly f**ks Port over. :rainbow: :thumbsu:

I think Carlton cave on pick 11.

I think Houston brings them 11 and F2. They also use their F1 for Luko and a F2.

Leaves them with three F2s to trade to a side needing points next year.
In that scenario, I have no doubt whatsoever they will try and bundle up their remaining picks to get another 1st this year (maybe a later one). Then watch them try their level best to trade up to get in ahead of us for Draper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be on our list almost certainly

You'd really hope we havent committed P25 for ANB as most in the media are suggesting. I know if there is a choice between AB and Peatling I know who I would prefer.

Why would the Crows announce to the media a pick they're using for a player who has already said he's coming, two weeks out from trade period?

Why would the Crows announce to the media a pick they're using for a player who has already said he's coming, two weeks out from trade period?
We haven't announced anything and wouldn't expect them too, but the media all sound absolutely certain it was going to happen, so certain despite the fact it seems way overs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back