Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

he is the biggest issue

He’s in lock step with Nicks, his only football team knowledge he’s learned on the job with us. It’s impossible for him to drive change when he knows nothing else. He wouldn’t make waves because he’d be fearful of risking his job, he’d be nothing more than a yes man. Employing someone with zero AFL footy dept experience to rebuild after the Burton disaster was absolute stupidity. We’d be better off with an empty chair instead of an extra vote to maintain the status quo.

I don't think Nicks has a strong or easily identifiable coaching identity
I think he wants a style where you push an extra mid up to the contest, and provide a lot of pressure around the contest to try and have a quick turnover and rebound style, to allow for high percentage shots on goal. Less entries but higher quality with a strong forward unit that can maximize the entries they get. More turnover than interception focused.

You can see that when it works. I guess the problem is when we don't maintain pressure - and pushing an extra mid up seems to be solving a problem that would better addressed by higher quality mids and a better clearance game.

Last edited:
Posted this couple of threads - he is a massive reason for Brisbane’s turn around this year, they were busted before he arrived at the Lions.

I think we had a crack at him last off season but Burns was locked in the Asst role

He would be a great get

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They were beaten by less than a goal in the GF by a home team just 12 months ago. You can’t really be serious.

Is Dew at Brisbane this year?

I was reliably informed him being overweight would negatively impact the playing group because they'd be expected to meet fitness standards the coaching group doesn't
He arrived half way through the year to work part time with Brisbane, after he was unable to get a full-time position that suited him.

You think that would change in 2025.

Except all the young players re-sign and seem very committed to the club. It's obviously a happier place, and maybe the younger players wanted their father figure to show a bit of discipline?

Look, we're not inside the club. We're just fans, living vicariously through the achievement and failures of others. I'm just saying there's a few ways to view it.

There’s only one way to view our results over the last 7 years. The ladder is all the information you need to arrive at the conclusion that we don’t have all the right people in the right seats.

Problem is Nicks doesn't really have a vision...

You need to have decent smarts to be a head coach.

Nicks is a hard working grunt, no more, no less. But he’s a symptom, not the cause. When he goes, if Roo and Kelly remain, we’ll just appoint someone with the exact same attributes and views on footy.

Ratagolea is shit and they now know it. They are stuck with a lemon. He be lucky to get a game even if they have nobody else.

New coach and they will go small forward of the ball.

As I said, in Kenny’s system he only needs to cover what Dixon has been providing the last 2-3 years. Which isn’t much.

Ps, you probably don’t want to compare Tex and Dixon’s 2024s. Only one club is saying “more please”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he wants a style where you push an extra mid up to the contest, and provide a lot of pressure around the contest to try and have a quick turnover and rebound style, to allow for high percentage shots on goal. Less entries but higher quality with a strong forward unit that can maximize the entries they get. More turnover than inception focused.

You can see that when it works. I guess the problem is when we don't maintain pressure - and pushing an extra mid up seems to be solving a problem that would better addressed by higher quality mids and a better clearance game.

It’s a strategy that can’t really work. If it is working, the oppo will just match the number and if it’s not, they’ll use their extra to exploit on rebound.

GWS disagree ....Nicks, was credited with GWS's jump to the Grand Final, the year he was there
So the 1 year he was there, when all the strategy, recruitment, list management and preparation has already been done before he arrived.

That 1 year from Nick's is the reason for GWS success that year?

What a load of crap.

And who said this btw?

Honestly, with the squad we have built and are adding to, we have key backs to go with the big key forwards and we have mid sized defenders who can lock down the oppo small forwards. We have key forwards that can hit the scoreboard and we certainly have small forwards who can cause real problems for the opposition. We are bringing in a pick 4 mid we all assume, to go with a group of promising mids we already have. Get the structures and the game plan right and this group 'should' be moving on up the ladder.

Why not make the call at senior level to say we have greatly underperformed where the talented young list should have been trending and change the coach and freshen up a couple of the line coaches as its at this level we are stuck in neutral. It would be a great shame to burn more years of the list we have / are building under a coach that can't get them playing consistently good footy

No idea why they weren't in the race for ANB
Most likely because we had shown interest in previous years and Powa hadn't, so when the time came we were his choice?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back