Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)

Last edited:

May I politely enquire whether that’s based on anything intelligent, reported in the media or some form of objective analysis?

Or BF bed-wetting syndrome?

We are 11th favourite to win the flag. Once our fixture is released - almost certainly giving us an easy one after the most difficult 2 years in a row - and we secure 2/3 first 18 players the risk to those odds will only shorten.

What have you got?

Just a guess.

The easy part is to make a case for every club to make the top 8. Anyone can do that

The list manager is the only employee at the club who when it comes to future picks has to be realistic.

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade it but I don't think a pick in the teens is enough.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is what plans the club has for 12 months time. You want to be able to get a deal done if someone wants to come to us.

I get that..but I'd rather draft a ruck later, be prepared that they won't be quite as good as Dodson and get the Will Day type player and hope they hit those heights - premierships are built on players like that
Here's your man...late/rookie Flynn Penry

1727676333080.png

Is the question whether he wants to accept the contract and play on?

Body winding down, likely to be SANFL time potentially for the whole season. Played SANFL this year and that was prior to Isaac Cumming's arrival.

He may prefer to call it a day and ease into a coaching role. He already does this with our women's team and the State U18s so clearly it's a post-career focus for him.
Good point, a trigger year may be at a low level potentially like Stringers reported lowly 400k with Dons. If somehow the tigger was contracted as only say 250-300k PLUS AFL match day payments then he may want out. All total speculation and not sure how Smiths Manager would have allowed this but it’s happening with The Package

Yes, totally agree ....Cook showed huge improvement this year, it's starting to click for him ......Pedlar, the kick in the pants last year he needed ....he would be aware of all the talent coming onto the list, a big motivation for him
Cook huge improvement?

Text What GIF

agree

Reid has copped a whack for Ogilvie poor draft record - I would also go as far to say Ogilvie is more to blame for our slow rebuild then Nicks

If Ogilvie ends up with pick 4, 12 and 25 in this draft and doesn’t ace it then he needs to be marched out immediately

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is the problem, it’s never “immediately” because you need at least 2 years, and probably more like 4, to see if a player is a bust. So even recruiter with a bad record (like ours) can always say - I had a couple of bad years (like anyone can) but my recent picks will come good, you wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that..but I'd rather draft a ruck later, be prepared that they won't be quite as good as Dodson and get the Will Day type player and hope they hit those heights - premierships are built on players like that
You only play 1 ruck man in a team and about 8 midfielders so I totally agree. Dodson might end up great but it won’t be for 4 years, and some really solid option will definitely come up in the next 3 years. Maybe Taylor Goad. We were going to use a similar pick on him last year and he has done absolutely nothing in the 2’s for North this year.

Such a gamble using an early pick on a player who can only play 1 position and takes years to make it if they ever do.

You only play 1 ruck man in a team and about 8 midfielders so I totally agree. Dodson might end up great but it won’t be for 4 years, and some really solid option will definitely come up in the next 3 years. Maybe Taylor Goad. We were going to use a similar pick on him last year and he has done absolutely nothing in the 2’s for North this year.

Such a gamble using an early pick on a player who can only play 1 position and takes years to make it if they ever do.
Of course, if at 12, the best midfield options are gone, then of course a high ceiling player like Dodson is going to be a good get

The more I think on it, the more I would just love a Draper / Lalor and then a Travaglia coming in. Imagine the points of difference added to our midfield with the players we already have. Travaglia has been mentioned as similar to Will Day and if that was in any way true, then YES PLEASE,

Although it might all be a mute point even if we got 12 should Carlton and Port deal for pick 11 - you just bet they would call his name out if he happened to be on the board still.
moot

At this point Dodson is a mile ahead of Goad already AFL ready wise if you watched any of Goad's VFL this year./

Of course, if at 12, the best midfield options are gone, then of course a high ceiling player like Dodson is going to be a good get
Yeah maybe, but don’t forget we’re talking about using our F1 in this scenario. I don’t mind us doing the trade, but not to get a project ruckman.

Alex Tauru looks potentially worth that pick, Travaglia definitely, maybe Murphy if he slides.

It's staggering people listen. It's all going to be immediately reported on here anyway.
I liked the concept, especially initially when they had list managers and talent scouts and even prospective draftees.

I'd even allow the Adam Cooney joke 12 club trade scenarios....but last time I tried listening it was all silly.

So you're happy to overlook Dodson ? .....then complain we haven't drafted a RUCK
2 x A grade mids would be tempting and you don’t want to materially overpay for a player.

Even if we draft a rookie ruck, they generally aren’t top level for at least 4 years meaning we need to trade one in probably next year (our number one trade priority). So Dodson is fine for the next 4-14 years but we still need someone to replace ROB in 2-4 years time

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back