Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Last edited:
If Oliver and Smith go to the Cats than we all know they have no salary cap.

Dangerfield, Oliver, Smith, Holmes midfield would be stupid.
Bruhn, Bowes, Duncan as second tranche.

As you say, they don’t operate under the same rules. Kane made a comment on SEN earlier this year insinuating this. I might call in and fire him up again

Aliir Aliir “couldn’t get a game” at Sydney.

D’Ambrosio was a bargain pickup.

Sam Durham, Tom Stewart, Tim Kelly, and Shaun Mannagh couldn’t get a list spot anywhere in the AFL for years on end, let alone a game.

Maybe, just maybe, some players who haven’t set the AFL world alight yet actually have value.

Would love to somehow get the pick 12 from GC and use that to get Dodson or another gun midfielder...

Cumming, Peatling, ANB, Oliver ( :$ ) ... would be a solid offseason.... Might have to get Playstation level of creative trading to make it happen but heck, nothing to lose after finishing bottom 4!

Sam Durham, Tom Stewart, Tim Kelly, and Shaun Mannagh couldn’t get a list spot anywhere in the AFL for years on end, let alone a game.

Maybe, just maybe, some players who haven’t set the AFL world alight yet actually have value.
Changing subject somewhat .....thinking about GEEL and the success they've had via the GEEL Falcons .....caused me to think about the poor record we have, recruiting players from the SANFL

Seems other interstate Clubs have a higher success rate from the SANFL than us

Fritsch, Jordan Sweet, Dane Zorko, Ben Keays, Eddie Betts, Nick Murray, Brodie Mihocek.....

Sure there's a stack that didn't make it but there's plenty who did.

We had huge success with Ben Keays, Josh Jenkins, Tom Lynch and hopefully Nick Murray

Sauce Jacobs was 3rd string ruck at the blues when we recruited him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fritsch, Jordan Sweet, Dane Zorko, Ben Keays, Eddie Betts, Nick Murray, Brodie Mihocek.....

Sure there's a stack that didn't make it but there's plenty who did.
I actually believe you & huludicidal are agreeing here ....players not being given a chance, or getting a 2nd chance making the most of their opportunity

Comes back to "How Much Do You Want It" ......and why many of the "feted 1st round players" don't live up to expectations ....they've done it too easy off talent thru their junior years

Last edited:
Different teams have different strengths.

There will be top 4 teams adding players from other teams who aren’t wanted or needed as much, because said team has a strength in that area.

You’re entitled to your opinion on Peatling, but I’d suggest maybe watching him play a bit first. There’s a reason 6-7 clubs are chasing him.

The comparisons to Sam Berry in here are laughable.

The number of clubs chasing Sam Berry (zero) should tell you everything you need to know about him vs Peatling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll be honest, as long as we keep a good relationship with him re: past player stuff, I don’t care if Sloane takes up a role here or not

Not sure what role he’d even take up here, anyway
Yep agree , sloane will have plenty of other options and that will be better for him

Travis Boak would interest me

Where is the TOG stat?
Wasn’t on the website that I checked out.

Four years ago I was very bullish on Cook. His stats have gone backwards in the AFL this year and his ToG was 70.8%
(Compared to Murphy at 71.8%). The one thing virtually everyone on this Board will agree upon is that Murphy is a more than a tad disappointing as an AFL forward. Fair enough, it is Murphy’s 7th season but if you compare Brayden’s 4th season to Murphy’s 4th season, Murphy wins.

Do we need another Smurph (or Ned)? I am just bewildered by the slack given to Cook. Prior to this season the excuse was, give him a run of games and he will match or beat McAdam. Brayden played 17 straight games and took a total of 4 contested marks. The good news is he did produce more than McAdam did at Melbourne 🙄.

It was reported when he last signed that uncle Byron, the former Demon, was influential in getting him to sign.

Which I found amusing with Power fans thinking he's always a chance to go there.
The family situation has changed a lot for him since then, in hindsight that was the best chance to get him. Didn't Kochie offer Byron a new MG lol.

Not us, but please make it so as I DON'T want him ending up at Port

So much for the supposed great relationship between Coach (Goodwin) and his players .....drinking buddies and all that

Players are deserting the ship ....so what is Goodwin doing behind the scenes to lever that relationship ....he's got this under control, our culture is good !

Upset Ship Exploding upset.gif

Wasn’t on the website that I checked out.

Four years ago I was very bullish on Cook. His stats have gone backwards in the AFL this year and his ToG was 70.8%
(Compared to Murphy at 71.8%). The one thing virtually everyone on this Board will agree upon is that Murphy is a more than a tad disappointing as an AFL forward. Fair enough, it is Murphy’s 7th season but if you compare Brayden’s 4th season to Murphy’s 4th season, Murphy wins.

Do we need another Smurph (or Ned)? I am just bewildered by the slack given to Cook. Prior to this season the excuse was, give him a run of games and he will match or beat McAdam. Brayden played 17 straight games and took a total of 4 contested marks. The good news is he did produce more than McAdam did at Melbourne 🙄.
Because he’s got skill and makes things happen when he has it. Clearly we all want him to get more of the ball because if he does we will have a very good player and therefore we are more patient, fancy being more patient with talented players instead of getting games into mediocre players.

It's not Peatling's #1 wood though .....6 Clubs don't chase a pure tackler

Look at his clearance numbers and link up play .....being quick, being able to pressure with that speed, and winning clearances is why he's being pursued

When he was stuck on a HFF ....he was meh, it's a hard role to play ....just ask Pedlar
I dont hate him I just don't want us to think he is an A grader

Changing subject somewhat .....thinking about GEEL and the success they've had via the GEEL Falcons .....caused me to think about the poor record we have, recruiting players from the SANFL

Seems other interstate Clubs have a higher success rate from the SANFL than us
Last 10 years doesn't look too bad considering only Riley Thilthorpe was a top end pick

Max Michalanney
Billy Dowling
Riley Thilthorpe
Brayden Cook
Harry Schoenberg
Darcy Fogarty
Andrew McPherson
Wayne Milera
Harrison Wigg

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back