Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Last edited:
Peatling got 10 coaches votes in a game against Brisbane at the Gabba and is one of the most sought after players in the league right now.

If he was at our club in 2024 he would have played far more full time football and was purely a victim of circumstance. When given the chance, he shone. “Can’t get a game at GWS” is just pitifully shallow analysis.
please go back and watch that game and then add anything you wish.

They already have the relationship, what needs to be watched is what smith has been paid on average by them over the last few years and what it skyrockets to in the coming years.
Less contact hours down at the cattery apparently.'
More time to put in some long shifts for Cotton On and justify his 6 figure increase in salary.
Coincidentally, i'm sure he'll only be on about 500k on the books for Geelong.

Geelong have a history of targeting players with injury or off field issues - get them at a bargain (or cheaper) price and the. Back themselves in to fix the issue. Shaun Higgins and Stengle two of the best examples

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Clearly the Cats are not too worried about what their players get up to off field. Just see their response to Stengle... no sanctions, just play him in the next game.

We suspend players for getting excited on field, let alone off field...

Last edited:

I don't reckon Berg cops that here again but it's certainly not the worst idea.

I'd pay Strachan out and draft a ready to go Harry Boyd.
That's really just spinning our wheels though. Boyd's 27 before the season starts in 2025.

Less contact hours down at the cattery apparently.'
More time to put in some long shifts for Cotton On and justify his 6 figure increase in salary.
Coincidentally, i'm sure he'll only be on about 500k on the books for Geelong.
im sure youre right. its a joke. should not be allowed.

That's really just spinning our wheels though. Boyd's 27 before the season starts in 2025.
Suppose it depends if Boyd can actually offer anything at AFL level as that ship has sailed with Strachan.

That said, like you, would rather invest in a ruck to develop but don't see why it would need to be one or the other either.

Really poor take by those on here who think Slaone wouldn’t be an asset at the our club. Very short sighted to correlate his poor late career form with his ability to add value behind the scenes now.
He’d be good somewhere but we desperately need people from successful clubs to bring their experience of that success to our club. He played most of his career out of the finals.

please go back and watch that game and then add anything you wish.
Unlike you, I’ve seen plenty of Peatling before today so I don’t need to thanks.

But I’m sure you sat down and watched the full 2.5 hours of this game today and can tell us all about it.

Rubbish the amount of bullshit on here bagging him as a player etc is a joke .Yes he should go somewhere else if a position is offered but you dont just throw people on the scrap heap if they are good people and have assets you can use something you or i have no idea whether this is the case

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Football ability criticism relates to him being on the list still when he should have retired.

Now find one post relating his football ability as a reason why he shouldn’t stay here as a coach.

Peatling got 10 coaches votes in a game against Brisbane at the Gabba and is one of the most sought after players in the league right now.

If he was at our club in 2024 he would have played far more full time football and was purely a victim of circumstance. When given the chance, he shone. “Can’t get a game at GWS” is just pitifully shallow analysis.
No it ain’t mate. If we want to get top 4 we don’t need players who aren’t quite good enough for the current top 4. We’ve got enough of those including Edwards and pick 4 who will have a higher ceiling and should be our focus.

Unlike you, I’ve seen plenty of Peatling before today so I don’t need to thanks.

But I’m sure you sat down and watched the full 2.5 hours of this game today and can tell us all about it.
i have seen him before but I had another look yes. all im saying is that is dont get too excited he is not changing our fortunes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it ain’t mate. If we want to get top 4 we don’t need players who aren’t quite good enough for the current top 4. We’ve got enough of those including Edwards and pick 4 who will have a higher ceiling and should be our focus.
Wonder why he's so sought after then

Geelong have a history of targeting players with injury or off field issues - get them at a bargain (or cheaper) price and the. Back themselves in to fix the issue. Shaun Higgins and Stengle two of the best examples

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stengle wasn’t elite or multiple AA before he arrived a Geelong

Oliver will cost in salary and a trade

In terms of Smith, I sense the WB will play hardball, not sure that they are happy with how Smith has isolated himself from the club this year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Poor take here ....you're speaking from ignorance of the player ...and that's not a great place to argue from

huludicidal is exactly right in his analysis ....players on the various Fantasy Format Forums, studied him very closely, and therefore have intimate knowledge of his roles, stats, and upside

Poor take here ....you're speaking from ignorance of the player ...and that's not a great place to argue from

huludicidal is exactly right in his analysis ....players on the various Fantasy Format Forums, studied him very closely, and therefore have intimate knowledge of his roles, stats, and upside
he is tackle heavy which helps fantasy and supercoach hence my comparison to taller berry. he is not elite by foot. yes fast.

Yeah exactly, that’s how this Borlace rumour adds up

Given Bris’ track record of development over the Fagan years, would be a clear upgrade, too
Agreed re excellent development.

Hopefully now the often unfairly derided David Noble will finally be given some credit. Built the crows GF squad. Got poached by H/O to save Lions and in his few short years as Head of Football:

• traded in absolute stars like Neale and CC, plus bargain basement buys (similar to time at Crows getting Lynch, JJ, Jacobs etc) including Ah-Chee, McCarthy, Marcus Adams.
  • traded out duds / players with issues like Beams and Mayes. Cut loss early of Schache (recruited before Noble joined)
  • changed culture from an embarrassing club that lost 5 first round players in one trade period the year or 2 before he arrived to an undisputed destination club. Culture enhanced by bringing in Horks legends Hodge and Birchall.
  • club now been the most successful for winning % this decade and finished 2nd and 1st in consecutive years and is flag fave for 2025. Had 5 ACL’s this year AND number one ruckman also out of GF
  • oversaw Fagan master stroke recruitment

Well done Nobes. This flag is a big part due to your work and would take him back over Kelly at a seconds notice.

Hopefully the crap I have read on here over the years about him won’t be repeated anytime soon

Different teams have different strengths.

There will be top 4 teams adding players from other teams who aren’t wanted or needed as much, because said team has a strength in that area.

You’re entitled to your opinion on Peatling, but I’d suggest maybe watching him play a bit first. There’s a reason 6-7 clubs are chasing him.

The comparisons to Sam Berry in here are laughable.

Different teams have different strengths.

There will be top 4 teams adding players from other teams who aren’t wanted or needed as much, because said team has a strength in that area.

You’re entitled to your opinion on Peatling, but I’d suggest maybe watching him play a bit first. There’s a reason 6-7 clubs are chasing him.

The comparisons to Sam Berry in here are laughable.
We wont get him anyway but he really isnt that different. He is not an A grade mid...

he is tackle heavy which helps fantasy and supercoach hence my comparison to taller berry. he is not elite by foot. yes fast.
It's not Peatling's #1 wood though .....6 Clubs don't chase a pure tackler

Look at his clearance numbers and link up play .....being quick, being able to pressure with that speed, and winning clearances is why he's being pursued

When he was stuck on a HFF ....he was meh, it's a hard role to play ....just ask Pedlar

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back