Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Last edited:
Wasn’t on the website that I checked out.

Four years ago I was very bullish on Cook. His stats have gone backwards in the AFL this year and his ToG was 70.8%
(Compared to Murphy at 71.8%). The one thing virtually everyone on this Board will agree upon is that Murphy is a more than a tad disappointing as an AFL forward. Fair enough, it is Murphy’s 7th season but if you compare Brayden’s 4th season to Murphy’s 4th season, Murphy wins.

Do we need another Smurph (or Ned)? I am just bewildered by the slack given to Cook. Prior to this season the excuse was, give him a run of games and he will match or beat McAdam. Brayden played 17 straight games and took a total of 4 contested marks. The good news is he did produce more than McAdam did at Melbourne 🙄.
Contested marks is strange thing to list for Cook to show how poor he was.

I hadnt heard much about him either. Not worth being excited really until he proves to be a worthy trade if he choses us. At 24 and less than 50 games, we should not get too excited. Could be another Hately.
He's a lot quicker than Hately!

You originally said the Geelong Falcons neither Humphries (originally Swan Districts colts) or Mannagh (originally the Murray Bushrangers) came through the Falcons..
Sorry, mean't to be GEEL VFL ....it was more around cheaply adding 25-26 YO's to your list ....GEEL use their area well (Tom Stewart) ....I can't recall us hitting a home run from a mature SANFL pick-up

You probably hadn't heard much about Ben Keays (Lions 5 years) or Mitch Hinge ( Lions 4 years)?
My point stands. Trades of mid teir best 22 players are good but no point getting excited about them. Is he an upgrade on a few of our current players, on paper yes. Lets see if that translates.

We wont get him anyway but he really isnt that different. He is not an A grade mid...

I merely advise caution about getting over excited about a mid teir best 22 player as to what they can offer. But many players later in the careers can turn into stars. So I think although im not excited about it, im going to give every benefit of the doubt that he will be a good get for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, mean't to be GEEL VFL ....it was more around cheaply adding 25-26 YO's to your list ....GEEL use their area well (Tom Stewart) ....I can't recall us hitting a home run from a mature SANFL pick-up
Well currently we're not afforded the luxury of the try before you buy system via the VFL like all the Eastern seaboard Clubs. Might have a bit to do with it don't you think?

Lots if talk about Cook, personal opinion is he is slow to start but seems like a player that will hit an age and spike performance.

I think he would shine in a club that need a player that can deliver inside 50's, but for the crows we are stacked for HFF players

I merely advise caution about getting over excited about a mid teir best 22 player as to what they can offer. But many players later in the careers can turn into stars. So I think although im not excited about it, im going to give every benefit of the doubt that he will be a good get for us.
i totally agree with this but some of these posters think he is the messiah

Which bottom 5 players?

Murphy and which 4 others?
From the round 23 team last year I'd say:
Murph, Borlase, Berry, Jones, Sholl, Bond, Dowling, Taylor. Laird as well on form.

So... If we upgrade all those guys we are doing well. Some of them might upgrade themselves.

E.g. Dowling, Taylor and Bond are young and have improvement still. I still like Jones and Berry for some reason. Sholl I think peaked and he's a B grader, which is better than Cook and Pedlar... last year. But I think those two have higher ceilings.

We still don't have enough proper A grade guns in the team. It's why you prioritise the guys who should have high ceilings, and also why it's dissapointing both those guys had such bad seasons.

i totally agree with this but some of these posters think he is the messiah
No, No ...no-one is saying that about Peatling

He's a value pickup, that adds traits to our midfield, we need .....the emphasis on "value"

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back