Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We are looking at extending Darcy Fogarty early ahead of free agency (link)

Last edited:
Wouldn’t rule us out re Clarry. Called it a week ago. Our pick 4 is available per reports from July.

DISCLAIMER: No inside info. Just conjecture.

Trade week craziness. Let’s roll.

View attachment 2127482
Pick 4 for the worst contract in Australian sports?

Where do we sign!

It is looking different that’s for sure.

Feels like a few of these possible ins will shake up some of our existing players significantly!

Laird can’t be a mid. Crouch is the go to in and under.

Maybe we can push Murphy out of the 22?

Smith could be looking at retirement or trade?

Could we have the luxury of playing our best players where they will do the most damage rather than where we need them to fill a hole in our list?

Fingers crossed.

You had me in agreement up to here.

And damn I hope we target a ruckman.

This is the least of our issues. Historically Ruckman are cheap as chips and easy to get.

We have Strachan and ROB till the end of next year. Thats just fine. Sure pick one up in the rookie draft to develop one. Trade a 3rd stringer from another team this year.

Rucks just don't matter. Been saying it for years and every year the premiership winning team just goes ahead and proves it.

If we walk away with Cumming, ANB, Peatling and a pick 4 midfielder - This offseason is a 10/10 IMO.
+ decent senior assistant coach who can strategise.

I've heard North Melbourne are giving Draper alot of attention.

It seems like he could go earlier than pick 4
I doubt he will be available at pick #4 as Weagles keen too, but a very good midfielder will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard North Melbourne are giving Draper alot of attention.

It seems like he could go earlier than pick 4

Their midfield will be insane in a few years if they pick him.... LDU, Wardlaw, McKercher, Sheezel etc then add in Draper or another gun this year....>. WOwee.

Surely they go best KPP though given Darling is surely just depth at this point,

You had me in agreement up to here.

This is the least of our issues. Historically Ruckman are cheap as chips and easy to get.

We have Strachan and ROB till the end of next year. Thats just fine. Sure pick one up in the rookie draft to develop one. Trade a 3rd stringer from another team this year.

Rucks just don't matter. Been saying it for years and every year the premiership winning team just goes ahead and proves it.
You misunderstand me - target a ruckman doesn't mean prioritise a ruckman!

I want mids, but we need a backup to develop beyond Turray.

But does he have a role in our best 22?

He should replace Crouch, who we should have traded. We’ve got stacks of mids around that mediocre range. Laird, Crouch, Berry, Dowling, Taylor, Schoenberg, Pedlar, Edwards, Keays. Plus talent that potentially needs a crack to develop in there like Curtin, Rachele and pick 4. We don’t need to hang onto 30 year old mids that regularly get beaten for impact by their direct opponents. We need to develop our own gun rotations, so minutes need to go to the guys that might be part of one. If it results in losing a couple of extra games in 2025, so be it. We’re a long way off competing with Brisbane et al deep in September anyway.

He should replace Crouch, who we should have traded. We’ve got stacks of mids around that mediocre range. Laird, Crouch, Berry, Dowling, Taylor, Schoenberg, Pedlar, Edwards, Keays. Plus talent that potentially needs a crack to develop in there like Curtin, Rachele and pick 4. We don’t need to hang onto 30 year old mids that regularly get beaten for impact by their direct opponents. We need to develop our own gun rotations, so minutes need to go to the guys that might be part of one. If it results in losing a couple of extra games in 2025, so be it. We’re a long way off competing with Brisbane et al deep in September anyway.
Replace Crouch or Laird? I think Crouch is a much more useful midfielder than Laird - his hands and ball use are better. Berry is not that.

The key word in there is should. The sad reaity is nicks is still here and will be coaching for his job in 2025 and will pick players who he thinks will win him some extra games. It won't be to coach for the future hence ANB, Cumming and possibly Peatling being added.

With how things are with the coach's future on the line, its hard to see laird and crouch not in the side R1...experience and all

The issue with hoping that our third and fourth year players improving to become regular best 22 players (organic growth) is that it hugely relies on coaching and development. Until we sort that out, there's little point in trying to predict who of these players will "pop". The way things are going none of them will.

To put it bluntly, our coaching and development sucks. It is a bigger problem than player recruitment and trading.

Trading away a 15year potential star mid for a 4 year max player would be peak Adelaide.

I am praying we hold firm with a future first rounder. But this does actually explain the reasoning behind targeting gold coasts pick 12. We obviously think the mid we want can be a slider. based on the rankings and think we can get both. I have a better idea. Forget Clarry, spend 4 on a cream of the crop talent that will service the club for the next 15 years, trade our future first for pick 12 and get that player too.

This just has one of those 'sliding door moments' smell all over it where like Ken McGregor and Pavlich we will forever be asking WTF.

Hopefully im completely wrong and we have every intention of going all in on Pick 4 in an insanely strong draft year.
We are going to the draft with our first round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back