Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Last edited:
In 2 years time North could have the best midfield in the competition. I think they will be able to add KPP without too many issues.

I think North are rebuilding well as drafting midfielders is less risk, unlike the crows who draft either KPP or small forwards with our top picks and looks likely to be a potential 50% strike rate.

7 years into a rebuild and we have IMO only one drafted midfielder that may come close to the quality of McKercher, Sheezel or Wardlaw.

We should of rebuilt the engine first.
Yeah, history shows that this is completely untrue.

Hawthorn started with Buddy and Roughhead. Richmond made sure they had Rance and Reiwoldt, Carlton Weitering, McKay and Curnow.

Melbourne? Started with Tom Scully and Jack Trengove, then had to start their rebuild again.

Talls are MUCH harder to get than mids and take longer.

Clubs want fortunes if you trade for a tall. It was a ridiculously bad decision for North to constantly draft mids, especially considering how many have become players like Will Phillips.

Saying North can just trade in a forward like Jeremy Cameron because that’s what Geelong did, isn’t really living in this reality.

Destination clubs play by different rules. Clubs like North (and us) NEED to hit in the draft and hope like hell can keep the superstars. Teams like Geelong can just have a new superstar nominate them every year.

Smith and Oliver to the Cats this year for a couple of late picks yeah? Wonder why north aren’t into that.

Melbourne drafted their midfield then traded in May and Lever and won a flag.
Geelong traded in Jeremy Cameron, Brisbane traded in Daniher and Sydney and West Coast of 15 years ago traded in Kennedy, Barry Hall and Franklin.

All the most successful teams are built around building the engine room through the draft as a priority.

NM have been guilty of not getting the balance right, and using the 3 million charity picks they’ve been given purely on midfield. When you have that many, sure, address all areas of your list, but Adelaide has not used a high pick on the midfield for 10 years and it has left us in this mess we have now.
Melbourne took 15 years to rebuild and stuffed the rebuild multiple times - and are a MASSIVE disappointment considering their list. Having no tall forwards is an obvious issue for them.

Geelong has stuffed up nearly all their first round picks for the last decade - but they have massive other advantages.

Sydney's lack of decent talls is one of the reasons they list the flag.

You're massively wrong on this.

Melbourne is bemused at finding itself again refuting trade rumours around troubled gun onballer Clayton Oliver after denying the ballwinner would depart the club all season.

Jon RalphJon Ralph
@RalphyHeraldSun

5 min read
September 30, 2024 - 7:08PM
News Sport Network
Melbourne has no intention of trading Clayton Oliver despite clubs including Geelong again wondering whether they can drag him out of the club on the cheap.
The Herald Sun revealed in March that Geelong was among the clubs monitoring Oliver, who at that stage believed his future might be at a club other than Melbourne.
But the Demons have worked hard to put their arms around him, with captain Max Gawn even saying he was “absolutely inspired” by Oliver’s recovery from personal issues.

Club figures on Monday night said adamant Oliver was not going anywhere, bemused to again have to deny rumours about his future.
Football boss Alan Richardson said on Monday night of Oliver: “Clayton is an important player for our club and remains a contracted, required member of the team. We look forward to seeing Clayton in the red and blue next year and beyond”.
[PLAYERCARD]Clayton Oliver[/PLAYERCARD] is once again at the centre of rumours he wants to leave the Demons. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images.

Clayton is once again at the centre of rumours he wants to leave the Demons.While Oliver has been a temperamental figure who at times has wondered if the club has supported him enough, no person at Melbourne has taken up more man hours than the 27-year-old, who has six years on a contract at over six million.
Melbourne figures believe that Oliver is in the best spot he has ever been from a wellbeing point of view.
He battled rib, knee and hand issues that required surgery which shut down his season early after only moderate form.
He is in the same management group as Bailey Smith who has spent most of the year knowing he would find his way to Geelong.

So even if the Cats were keen to trade for him they are about to trade their No. 15 draft pick and likely a second selection for Smith.
Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin is also entering a year in which he must play finals to guarantee his future after two straight-sets exit and then this year’s 14th placing.
Trading Oliver to a premiership contender then watching him dominate the 2025 season while the Demons midfield battled would be a disastrous scenario for the Demons.
Melbourne was even prepared to hand over two first-round picks for Dan Houston before he aborted their trade, with the club all in on the premiership window and not interested in stockpiling picks.

Melbourne drafted their midfield then traded in May and Lever and won a flag.
Geelong traded in Jeremy Cameron, Brisbane traded in Daniher and Sydney and West Coast of 15 years ago traded in Kennedy, Barry Hall and Franklin.

All the most successful teams are built around building the engine room through the draft as a priority.

NM have been guilty of not getting the balance right, and using the 3 million charity picks they’ve been given purely on midfield. When you have that many, sure, address all areas of your list, but Adelaide has not used a high pick on the midfield for 10 years and it has left us in this mess we have now.
How many flags did Sydney win with Franklin?

How are MELB going the last few years .....great midfield, struggling for KPF 's

They've tried Schache, Brown, the "leach" McDonald .....the lack of KPF has cost MELB at least another Flag

Re ADEL ....this was my issue with the Rachele draft choice .....Pick #6 on a small Fwd ? .....do I assume from your comment, you don't consider Rachele and Curtin as future Mids ?
Well we play Rachelle exclusively as a small forward, and we put Curtin straight to the back line when we got our hands on him. We have been guilty of massively over rating our incumbent midfield for the last decade, but it does feel like the penny has finally dropped lately. We have started experimenting with Curtin and Rankine in the middle, moved Laird out and took Edwards last year with a first. Cumming and Peatling as targets this year I think further proves it.

Melbournes demise isn’t because of lack of talls to be fair, there is some serious culture issues there. Van Royen, Lever, May and Gawn are definitely good enough with that midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we play Rachelle exclusively as a small forward, and we put Curtin straight to the back line when we got our hands on him. We have been guilty of massively over rating our incumbent midfield for the last decade, but it does feel like the penny has finally dropped lately. We have started experimenting with Curtin and Rankine in the middle, moved Laird out and took Edwards last year with a first. Cumming and Peatling as targets this year I think further proves it.

Melbournes demise isn’t because of lack of talls to be fair, there is some serious culture issues there. Van Royen, Lever, May and Gawn are definitely good enough with that midfield.
To be fair, Curtin was drafted as an AA U18 defender so it was natural to start him there. What im glad we didnt do is keep him there, particularly when dropped back to the SANFL.

Rachele is an interesting one. The guy is mercurial around goals and inside 50 and IMO hasnt yet got the defensive nous to play as a CB midfielder. I was happy to see him shadow Tom Lewis when he played ressies in the last week.... not that he shouldve been there.

Haven’t seen anything more other than these highlights:

Knows where the goals are, good kick when in some space, excellent clearance work and second efforts, and runs into space well.

Biggest knock for mine is he seems to bang it on the boot after getting the clearance, needs to look to hand it off better.

Absolutely worth a shot in our midfield.

Melbourne took 15 years to rebuild and stuffed the rebuild multiple times - and are a MASSIVE disappointment considering their list. Having no tall forwards is an obvious issue for them.

Geelong has stuffed up nearly all their first round picks for the last decade - but they have massive other advantages.

Sydney's lack of decent talls is one of the reasons they list the flag.

You're massively wrong on this.
Just because they took 15 years doesn’t mean the formula is wrong. Drafting terribly with guys like Trengove and Scully was the problem. The simple fact is that their premiership list was built on drafting Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw and Viney then trading in Brown, Lever and May. Surely that is unarguable.

To be fair, Curtin was drafted as an AA U18 defender so it was natural to start him there. What im glad we didnt do is keep him there, particularly when dropped back to the SANFL.

Rachele is an interesting one. The guy is mercurial around goals and inside 50 and IMO hasnt yet got the defensive nous to play as a CB midfielder. I was happy to see him shadow Tom Lewis when he played ressies in the last week.... not that he shouldve been there.
There’s the rub. You are admitting that those 2 picks, 4 and 7, we used on guys who had played junior footy as a small forward and a defender. Where was the understanding that our midfielder needed attention?

Just because they took 15 years doesn’t mean the formula is wrong. Drafting terribly with guys like Trengove and Scully was the problem. The simple fact is that their premiership list was built on drafting Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw and Viney then trading in Brown, Lever and May. Surely that is unarguable.
I guess you could argue that in Melbournes case its not been sustainable, and the Western Bulldogs to a lesser extent.

But what is clear is that you need that midfield to be any chance of challenging.

Just leaves one of the other gun mids for us then if he is taken before our pick.

So it seems as if everyone IS keen on Draper now? I’ve been keen all season but it appeared that others wanted FOS or Lalor?

Hopefully they do.
Draper being a local has clouded judgement , he is good but rate others higher

Hope he is gone at 2 or 3

I am thinking

1- Smith
2- Langford
3- Draper
4- FOS

There’s the rub. You are admitting that those 2 picks, 4 and 7, we used on guys who had played junior footy as a small forward and a defender. Where was the understanding that our midfielder needed attention?
Given how quickly we moved Dan into the middle I reckon we knew what we had, it was just about settling him there.

Still time for Rachele IMO.

I think the modern game is showing us how important small and mid-sized forwards are. Rachele could end up being a very valuable selection.

I guess you could argue that in Melbournes case its not been sustainable, and the Western Bulldogs to a lesser extent.

But what is clear is that you need that midfield to be any chance of challenging.
Richmond got it right with Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance all drafted in the space of about 3-4 years, as well as Edwards and Grimes.

How are MELB going the last few years .....great midfield, struggling for KPF 's

They've tried Schache, Brown, the "leach" McDonald .....the lack of KPF has cost MELB at least another Flag

Re ADEL ....this was my issue with the Rachele draft choice .....Pick #6 on a small Fwd ? .....do I assume from your comment, you don't consider Rachele and Curtin as future Mids ?

Who did you want at 6?

The fact that they have only won one flag - and that in the COVID year - while having a historically good midfield group shows that their squad has been badly balanced. No decent tall forwards has cost them dearly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back