Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumor summary September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumor summary October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumor summary October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 7
  • No new rumors, although Justin Reid confirmed we'll use pick 28 on Neal-Bullen

Last edited:
Clubs hold off upgrading rookies until after the draft.
That's a fair point. I'd have to check the List Lodgement dates. I suspect the window for doing rookie upgrades is between the ND and RD.

If that's the case, then we may be able to take a 3rd pick into the ND. We'd be able to use it for points, but not to select a player (as we need to do the rookie upgrade).

So list vacancies or open list spots going into the ND are only considered if players have been traded out, have retired or been delisted?
The number of senior list vacancies, which determines the number of picks taken into the ND is:
38 - # of contracted players

It's slightly more complicated than that for teams with 37+5 or 36+6 structures, but that's the gist of it.
And players that don't have contracts for the following year are not considered as vacant? I understand that this often happens when a club is unsure of exactly how many players they'll draft, dependent on who is available at their picks.
Players that don't have contract aren't on the list. If a player doesn't have a 2025 contract then they need to have been delisted in one of the List Lodgements before the ND.
For some reason I thought clubs also did this in order to allow some 'stockpiling' of draft picks if needed
Nope.

What was the “hot mic” controversy Wayne? I missed that.

Agree re his distinct lack of knowledge about Peatling. I mentioned last week Rowey saying no elite traits including “nothing special with speed” (or similar words) just showed a total lack of preparation on his behalf.
Rowe thought he was off-air ....sang an "X" rated version of Katy Perry's "I kissed a girl"

Rowe thought he was off-air ....sang an "X" rated version of Katy Perry's "I kissed a girl"
i know many say he is quite a smart guy who only acts up like a clown (at least he has stopped the toilet humour recently which i cant imagine appeals to anyone but primary school kids). Rowey seems like an overly parochial numbnut to me overall and its embarrassing comparing Rowey to SEN presenters and 3AW's Healy etc.

That said, Timmy G is much better and a good addition to the sports show

i know many say he is quite a smart guy who only acts up like a clown (at least he has stopped the toilet humour recently which i cant imagine appeals to anyone but primary school kids). Rowey seems like an overly parochial numbnut to me overall and its embarrassing comparing Rowey to SEN presenters and 3AW's Healy etc.

Rowey has always brought in a fair amount of sponsorship. Radio slots are as much about what revenue you can bring in over and above what the station does as it is about ratings.

It doesn't matter where the bids come in round wise.

If you go into deficit the amount of points you're in deficit come off your first pick the subsequent year.

I’m 90% sure that this is not correct. I remember announcing a change where it affects the round where the bid comes

Rowey has always brought in a fair amount of sponsorship. Radio slots are as much about what revenue you can bring in over and above what the station does as it is about ratings.
all good. must admit i know little re revenue mix and key drivers of both revenue & profitability within the radio sector so appreciate your input. that said, my laymans analysis was just on the way he acts and the stupidity of some stuff (does anyone else find the whole 'can you feel it' just so cringeworthy?). or perhaps its just me :)

I’m 90% sure that this is not correct. I remember announcing a change where it affects the round where the bid comes
yes a couple of posters pointed this out recently and even posted the relevant rules re matching the rounds from one year where bid occurs to the following year to the same round where adjustment for the deficit is made.

My question was what happens when we dont have a second round pick the following year to adjust (assuming the bid was second round this year)

I think they're well aware of the other clubs' intentions re: Welsh, and see the risk as minimal. Even if a bid does come in slightly earlier, we can just go into debt for 2025 points.

We currently have pick #48, which is worth 302 points. This gives us the ability to match bids worth 362 points - or from pick #44 onwards. Presumably they're not expecting a bid to come inside the top-40.

As to where that pick ends up once bidding commences, with picks moving up & down all over the place as a result, is anyone's guess.

Aren’t the match rules a 197 point discount or 20% - which ever is greater? Or is that the old rule

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's interesting with Ginever ....Bickley was supposed to be the straight man when he was on 5AA, with Rowe the comical sidekick ....Bickley couldn't step up

Ginever, after a nervous start, looks like taking that commanding lead, with Rowe the secondary character

I was pretty critical of Giniver's selection, thought he wasn't genuine ....however, he's surprised & impressed me greatly

It's interesting with Ginever ....Bickley was supposed to be the straight man when he was on 5AA, with Rowe the comical sidekick ....Bickley couldn't step up

Ginever, after a nervous start, looks like taking that commanding lead, with Rowe the secondary character

I was pretty critical of Giniver's selection, thought he wasn't genuine ....however, he's surprised & impressed me greatly
yeah agreed. Rowey is the weak link on the show now but clearly still 'throws his weight around' to show listeners he is the number one guy. Was it true that there was a mix up with GF tix (only 1 not 2) and Rowey went and Timmy G missed out?

That said, Rowey CAN at times ask very direct and considered questions like he has done to Silvers on occasions. When he gets serious and goes 'hard hitting' questions he is at his best

Because clubs are only allowed to take as many picks into the draft as they have list vacancies to fill. We will only have 2 senior list vacancies, so we will only be allowed to take 2 picks into the draft.

Clubs with a 36+6 structure have an advantage here, because they can effectively take 2 extra picks into the ND (which they use for points), even if they have no intention of filling those vacancies until the RD.
Would we not have three being that we need to use one to upgrade Keane from rookie to main list? That is still tied to a pick yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah agreed. Rowey is the weak link on the show now but clearly still 'throws his weight around' to show listeners he is the number one guy. Was it true that there was a mix up with GF tix (only 1 not 2) and Rowey went and Timmy G missed out?

That said, Rowey CAN at times ask very direct and considered questions like he has done to Silvers on occasions. When he gets serious and goes 'hard hitting' questions he is at his best
I think you'll find, Rowe is very good at bonding with sponsors ....that would be of paramount importance to the station

Getting listeners is quite easy ....throw a hand grenade, that's what Rowe does

Would we not have three being that we need to use one to upgrade Keane from rookie to main list? That is still tied to a pick yeah?
Yes. I agreed with jackster83 when they made the same point earlier.

Rookie Upgrades happen on Thursday 21st Nov, after the ND has finished. Thus, we would have the ability to take 3 picks into the ND (even if we are only able to make 2 selections).

I had failed to take this into account with my previous posts.

How is it not valid. Is he not being recruited to take over that role?

If you take last.season as an anomaly and look at career averages ANB actually scores even less than Murphy.
Sorry I don't know what you are saying, are you saying ANB is not an upgrade?

My point is that ABN plays a lot further up the ground.

That's a fair point. I'd have to check the List Lodgement dates. I suspect the window for doing rookie upgrades is between the ND and RD.

If that's the case, then we may be able to take a 3rd pick into the ND. We'd be able to use it for points, but not to select a player (as we need to do the rookie upgrade).
remember they changed that rule. you can have more picks at the ND than list spots you have available so its fine for collecting the points for sure.

but we cant select as you point out

remember they changed that rule. you can have more picks at the ND than list spots you have available so its fine for collecting the points for sure.
No, they changed it so you can't have more picks than list spots.

However, by making the rookie upgrades happen after the ND it allows clubs to have extra (unusable) picks for points. This is compounded by clubs with 36+6 and 37+5 list structures also having picks which will ultimately be filled in the RD.

No, they changed it so you can't have more picks than list spots.

However, by making the rookie upgrades happen after the ND it allows clubs to have extra (unusable) picks for points. This is compounded by clubs with 36+6 and 37+5 list structures also having picks which will ultimately be filled in the RD.
shit they make it complicated. ok understand

So we're pretty much done for this trade period right? Peatling is the last domino, which shouldn't need too much trade currency gymnastics to complete.

Will likely still be traded on Friday for theatrics, but that will be it for us baring a real shock move.

Sorry I don't know what you are saying, are you saying ANB is not an upgrade?

My point is that ABN plays a lot further up the ground.
My original post was suggesting the amount being paid for ANB was high considering his averages and goals kicked isn't really that much better than Murphy.

You suggested that Murphy wasn't a valid comparison, which I disagreed with because Murphy should be the exact person he replaces and that their career averages are fairly similar. So the comparison seems very valid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back