Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Rumor summary October 10

• Collingwood are interested in Justin Reid as their new head of football (link)
  • GWS want our future 2nd and pick 46 for Peatling (link)

Last edited:

How long ago did the Alexgate thing happen? must be like 10 years ago now, maybe longer. The fact he still gets talked about is an impressive effort.
What’s scary to me is I’m not even a long-timer on here compared to some of these basements and I even remember the Alex shit.

That I dont agree with that. Fagen just coached a premiership team without ever playing AFL. You dont need to have played 300 games of AFL to decide if Nicks is or isnt the man for the job. Thats a blind misconception. Company boards dont blindly back the expert because if you do that it opens up to all sorts potential manipulation by the expert. Im not suggesting Roo didnt play a role. I just want to see the vote.
Who said anything about playing football?

I said football people. Fagan was a football person. But we are talking about a board not a coach anyway.

You don't understand what I'm saying I don't think. You only challenge from a base of understanding, which works in the corporate world as all board members live and breathe corporate life. They understand what makes a good corporate entity, regardless of background.

A Football board is different, corporate types don't have that base level of understanding. They don't understand the inner workings of a successful football program (like they would in the corporate world) and this lack of understanding doesnt allow them to genuinely challenge.

Do you genuinely think Kate Ellis is going to question whether Nicks has the right footballing strategies to lead the crows to a Premier? Do you think Richard Fennel will be bold enough to suggest Nicks is on the right path to a premiership despite the worst coaching record in AFC history?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm probably gonna cop a lot for this but

I don't understand the universal hate for Nicks.

Yes he has had issues with selection, took way to long to debut Curtin, too long to drop McHenry, Murphy etc etc.

But he was handed a club in shambles. He took us off the bottom of the ladder and kept improving year on year, until this year. Now suddenly everyone and their mum wants him sacked. For what? Going backwards in one season? Well in that case Geelong should have sacked Chris Scott, Richmond should have sacked Damien Hardwick, Melbourne should have sacked Simon Goodwin etc etc.

It is extremely rare to see a team improve linearly. You are bound to have up and down seasons. Imo Nicks has done a great job since taking over.

I also don't understand the hate surrounding Roo for backing Nicks. You know who else he backed? Phil Walsh. Don Pyke. While yes, the last years of Don's tenure could be seen as a failure, he still managed to do something no-one else has since Malcom Blight.

There are plenty of things worth criticizing about our club but these two are not.

Who said anything about playing football?

I said football people. Fagan was a football person. But we are talking about a board not a coach anyway.

You don't understand what I'm saying I don't think. You only challenge from a base of understanding, which works in the corporate world as all board members live and breathe corporate life. They understand what makes a good corporate entity, regardless of background.

A Football board is different, corporate types don't have that base level of understanding. They don't understand the inner workings of a successful football program (like they would in the corporate world) and this lack of understanding doesnt allow them to genuinely challenge.

Do you genuinely think Kate Ellis is going to question whether Nicks has the right footballing strategies to lead the crows to a Premier? Do you think Richard Fennel will be bold enough to suggest Nicks is on the right path to a premiership despite the worst coaching record in AFC history?

Yes I do think they will ask Roo to justify his stance. I would. I wouldnt blindly vote for what Roo suggests. I dont think anyone on here would. George would tell Roo to go F himself and not just vote. And id say very very small minority of us on here have played football at a top level let alone been on a board. Otherwise whats the point of roo going to the board at all. Roo may as well just state im signing Nicks up for another 2 years, lets just get the formality done and walk off.

As I said, he would have provided everything to the board from the pros and cons regarding the timing of any potential contract extension and his recommendations. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that some of the board were swayed by the Happy Clappers arm of the membership who still see Nicks as a rookie coach and therefor many of them thought on the back of finals Nicks deserved an extension and they will review the decision in 2 years time which is all part of the feel good PR, remember at the time they thought finals was a given.

Im just disappointed the media didnt press harder at the time to demand how the extension came about and whether it was unanimous. Even the simplest question about what did the football committee recommend was never asked.

Last edited:
How long ago did the Alexgate thing happen? must be like 10 years ago now, maybe longer. The fact he still gets talked about is an impressive effort.
Not really.

He died and came back to life.

Like Jesus did. And people still crap on about that 2000 years later.

8 it was when I joined in 2016

I was like wtf and then used some skills to find out it was a fake and shared with a few in PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back