Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 24, last 27th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 28 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 146 83.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Also that article claims a few clubs are chasing Dan Houston

Would be funny if Port traded him then got ahead of us in the draft again somehow

Most overated underrated player in the comp. He can't defend but good with ball in hand. I don't think he is any better than Smith at his best and at 30 I wouldn't be offering him a long deal. If Port got a good trade offer, they should take it.

Rumour has it that Zak Butters may be traded back to Victoria THIS YEAR! Might be all Port need to get a good pick or 2 and jump start their rebuild..... let's hope it's not true as I actually don't rate him that highly.

I reckon Ned is genuine 50/50 to stay on the list. I suspect he may be Jimmy Rowed (signed or delist based on who ends up coming in via draft and trade)

For example if we were to get a Benny Barrett then he would likely be gone - if no similar player comes in then he would get another year. Will be interesting how that rolls

Of course Benny is likely out of our reach now even if we wanted him based on the AFL mooted rule changes from yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If Ned is getting delisted we'll see him return to the team for the last stretch of the season

Most overated underrated player in the comp. He can't defend but good with ball in hand. I don't think he is any better than Smith at his best and at 30 I wouldn't be offering him a long deal. If Port got a good trade offer, they should take it.
He has definitely improved massively and a top 5 player for Power. Just turned 27 FYI but don’t think he is worth more than a pick 15-20

Rumour has it that Zak Butters may be traded back to Victoria THIS YEAR! Might be all Port need to get a good pick or 2 and jump start their rebuild..... let's hope it's not true as I actually don't rate him that highly.
Definitely worth a lot in a trade. 2 x top 10 type picks IMO

Butters loves Kenny, so it wouldn't suprise me if he did leave same time as Ken

kenny mccormick airport GIF by South Park

Given he seems like an absolute twat, Port would be smart to offload him this year.

If St Kilda get band 1 for Battle, their 2 x first rounders would be the starting price. Butters and Saints would be a perfect match and Port have kickstarted their rebuild.

Of course, Port are not smart.

Given he seems like an absolute twat, Port would be smart to offload him this year.

If St Kilda get band 1 for Battle, their 2 x first rounders would be the starting price. Butters and Saints would be a perfect match and Port have kickstarted their rebuild.

The way he talks to his team mates and even his coach is a disgrace.

Unbelievably good player but good leaders would be telling him to pull his ****ing head in.

Maybe they want to cash him in before the compromised drafts come into play, especially if his intentions are to eventually return to Victoria.
I mean I guess, but as said above, the only team I can realistically see having the capital are the Saints (and Rich/NM, but they surely wouldn’t go for him)

If they allow 2026 firsts to be traded this year, that might change things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean I guess, but as said above, the only team I can realistically see having the capital are the Saints (and Rich/NM, but they surely wouldn’t go for him)

If they allow 2026 firsts to be traded this year, that might change things
Would st kilda really want to do that if they get band 1 for battle?. Thats passing up 2 top 10 players in a draft clubs are apparently trying to trade into because of its strength.

I could see north doing it moreso for pick 2 as they have a swag of top end kids and butters would add a quality mid in the right age bracket. If that happened draper would be at port🤮

Those within the four walls at Alberton are fully aware Zac will go back to Vic at some stage. This year not out of the question.

Would st kilda really want to do that if they get band 1 for battle?. Thats passing up 2 top 10 players in a draft clubs are apparently trying to trade into because of its strength.

I could see north doing it moreso for pick 2 as they have a swag of top end kids and butters would add a quality mid in the right age bracket. If that happened draper would be at port🤮
Saints need quality midfielders to put alongside Phillipou in the long run, they’re not going to get much better than Butters

You’ve got a point re: North, but I doubt just pick 2 will cut it

An in-contract Butters? Nah fam
The thinking is Port want into this draft, given the underwhelming Josh Sinn is their only 1st round pick in the past few years. Butters going back to Melbourne during free agency is seen as inevitable but with the uncertainty over compensation and likelihood that gets diluted in coming years, Port may look to cash in now cause superdraft. The fact he's dressing room cancer probably helps soften the blow of losing him.

Saints could use one of their first this year and their first from next year.

Richmond also a good chance to go hard as they are likely to get a couple of firsts for Baker if he goes.

I would be thrilled to see him traded to an irrelevant vic club, that way I would rarely have to see that face again!

The thinking is Port want into this draft, given the underwhelming Josh Sinn is their only 1st round pick in the past few years. Butters going back to Melbourne during free agency is seen as inevitable but with the uncertainty over compensation and likelihood that gets diluted in coming years, Port may look to cash in now cause superdraft. The fact he's dressing room cancer probably helps soften the blow of losing him.
Butters is dressing room cancer?

I live interstate so haven’t heard any of this. What’s the goss?

The word on the street is he is very critical when people make what he thinks are mistakes

Instead of a quiet word its a full blown change room rant

Has popped up in a couple of places Rabish Binney had this recently but there's been talk of it prior to this as well:

"Mate of mine (he is retired) volunteers down there at Power training and SANFL match days (he is a lifelong Magpies supporter but not real keen on the Power). He's not in the inner circle but he does tell me what he hears around the place.
There is already discontent at Alberton with regards to Butters and his attitude towards his (younger) team mates particularly the bakes he gives them on the field. Finlayson is the only one who has bitten back and it is common knowledge apparently that they cant stand each other.

Kern wont say anything because Butters cant do anything wrong in his eyes."

If we have as big a pool of money sitting their that we have been led to believe then we need to spend some of it - you can only front end to a certain degree.
Perryman is a good player, tough, pretty quick and arguably the best available player left out of contract - certainly top 5 out there at the moment.
And we need more good players. I’m f that means Nank or Sholl unluckily get knocked back to depth players and Jones gets knocked back another position so be it

I would love for us to be signing LDU or Kossie Pickett or someone that would be a massive difference maker - but they aren’t available to anyone, or just us

Last year we went only for big fish - and start this year down McAdam,Doedee, Murray and Harry with only draftees to replace them

And look how that worked out

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it worked out alright. We haven’t been bad because we were missing those 4 players. 2 of them are defenders and our backline was pretty good. Lack of depth has allowed Dowling, Taylor and Bond to get a crack. Which, I hope, has shown our club that kids that weren’t in the anointed 26 can actually genuinely contribute to performance.

I accept that we should always be looking to improve our list during trade week. But I don’t accept that our crud year is due to not having brought in further depth in behind Murray, Dood, McAdam’s role and Schoey.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 24, last 27th August)

Back