Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 158 82.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If its pick 4 I'm pissed. Future pick maybe.
Actually the more I think about it the more chance we do swap 4 (assuming we retain current leader posn) and 6 with them (Lombard considerations), which is fine by me with such an even crop at the top of the draft. That likely also only means a second rounder also involved, last year GC traded down brilliantly their early pick. But with 3 first rounders this year I reckon they trade pick 6 UP and we are the team to facilitate that. Then use their other picks like 10/11 or whatever to trade out for points like they did last year, where necessary but they still end up with 2 x top 7-8 players and another coupled of top 30-35 players in a good draft. Excellent work by them if pulled off

Would be disappointing to miss out on Draper if he goes to Saints at 5 as assume GC would honour a Gents agreement to not take our desired player at 4

I’m seeing more Matt Robran than Jack Watts. And think if the price is reasonable enough that he will be a good addition
Definitely see some similarities mate but Robran was a more imposing player and could hold down CHF. That torp from 60 in the prelim when he kicked 6 was a thing of true beauty.

Luko third tall at best IMO but also more versatile playing hff, wing along with 3rd tall. His delivery along with Dawson and Curtin to our forward line would be absolute good if he plays further up the ground, that said, if Tex goes his delivery is already gold when pushing up

Last edited:
I think thats taking it one step too far.

Really doubt that a deal has been done.

He aint playing because Hardwick is a smart operator. Hardwick knows Luko wants out (and likely wants him out) so understands there is zero point in playing him these last 3 weeks. Its smart. Our own coaching genius should pay attention to it.
Clearly no official deal done but in-principle pick swaps / consideration seems progressively more likely if not playing in either team. AND Nicks flying up during the week…adds up to me

You don’t reckon that weakens their bargaining position, same us with kelly telling the world we didn’t want B Crouch
Kelly buggered up massively but this is different IF both parties have agreed an in-principle deal involving picks AND Luko not doing a serious injury in remaining rounds. Being “benched” (before being traded) common in other sports globally

You don’t reckon that weakens their bargaining position, same us with kelly telling the world we didn’t want B Crouch

Not at all to be honest.

The Crouch situation was completed different as he was a restricted free agent. Effectively he could choose where to go and agree a contract and our 3 options were:

1. Let him go and accept AFL compensation
2. Match the contract and keep him as an unhappy player
3. Match the contract and force St.Kilda to trade with us if they want him that bad.

We had very little leverage to begin with (similar to Dangerfield). The way free agency is set up is 100% in the favor of the player leaving and his new team.

This is a much different situation.

In my opinion there will be two major factors that will dictate the Luko trade:

1. Does Luko nominate one team he wants to go to.

If he does, this will heavily reduce Gold Coasts leverage. If Luko is happy to go to a Melbourne Club and both Adelaide clubs then Gold Coast can shop him around and get the best deal.

2. How desperate are Gold Coast to move away from the contract and what do they want:

I feel like Gold Coast are in a weird position with what they will be willing to accept from a trade. With Dimma there - I dont think they have any interest in draft picks unless its then on sold to bring in a best 22 player. Also - How tight is their cap situation and what players are they a chance to bring in this year?

At this stage - I think it will be relatively quick and easy to be honest. I think this is going to be one of those situations where Gold Coast say he is worth a top 10 pick leading into trade week with Adelaide baulking at it. Then 3 days in we give up a future 1st and there are some pick swaps (2nd/3rd rounds) and Luko becomes a Crow.

Yeah but Port are pushing him out not the other way around.

They are the team shopping a HBF around, whether he is contracted is immaterial when they are the ones shopping him. He is a nice pick up but FFS he is not a premium player.

They can ask for Pickett all they like but they will get the same answer we got when we asked for Petty
Port aren't shopping him. Dan wants to go.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

feenix67 has been pretty clear on crowcast that from a pretty close sauce , Luko would be much more likely to go to port or a Melbourne club than us. Luke’s family has some connections with the jarman and Edwards families who are not our biggest fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

feenix67 has been pretty clear on crowcast that from a pretty close sauce , Luko would be much more likely to go to port or a Melbourne club than us. Luke’s family has some connections with the jarman and Edwards families who are not our biggest fans.

Interesting.

Did something happen with the Jarman and Edwards families since 2019?

Was it that we didn't pick their kids?

Nah, if Luko comes home it will be to us.

He's not playing because the deal is likely done. Crows don't want an injury and GC want the deal to go through.
Is the deal done with us or the mob down the road? Because they are into him too. And his friendship with Connor Rozee might help the situation for them. We can only hope they make the mistake of overpaying for him.

Interesting.

Did something happen with the Jarman and Edwards families since 2019?

Was it that we didn't pick their kids?
That quote in your post was from 2019

Its well documented neither family are big fans of how their kids were handled, but that only feeds in to the general feeling the Luko's have on the Crows.

At the beginning of the year, his old man told me directly that Luko wouldnt be coming home and if he did it wouldnt be to AFC. But that was when things were still on his terms. He loves it up there and at that stage he was a required player. Interestingly, I was told that it did take him the pre season to buy in to Hardwick's "ways" and mantras. Perhaps Dimma noted that and they just dont get along. Jack is certainly not playing for him by the looks and Dimma doesnt seem to rate him.

So I dont know now, the leverage has shifted and now GC look like they want him out. He will still have to agree to a trade but he'll have to go somewhere and it may not be to his preference, which puts us in the frame I suppose. It will be interesting to see if there is more than one suitor.

Not at all to be honest.

The Crouch situation was completed different as he was a restricted free agent. Effectively he could choose where to go and agree a contract and our 3 options were:

1. Let him go and accept AFL compensation
2. Match the contract and keep him as an unhappy player
3. Match the contract and force St.Kilda to trade with us if they want him that bad.

We had very little leverage to begin with (similar to Dangerfield). The way free agency is set up is 100% in the favor of the player leaving and his new team.

This is a much different situation.

In my opinion there will be two major factors that will dictate the Luko trade:

1. Does Luko nominate one team he wants to go to.

If he does, this will heavily reduce Gold Coasts leverage. If Luko is happy to go to a Melbourne Club and both Adelaide clubs then Gold Coast can shop him around and get the best deal.

2. How desperate are Gold Coast to move away from the contract and what do they want:

I feel like Gold Coast are in a weird position with what they will be willing to accept from a trade. With Dimma there - I dont think they have any interest in draft picks unless its then on sold to bring in a best 22 player. Also - How tight is their cap situation and what players are they a chance to bring in this year?

At this stage - I think it will be relatively quick and easy to be honest. I think this is going to be one of those situations where Gold Coast say he is worth a top 10 pick leading into trade week with Adelaide baulking at it. Then 3 days in we give up a future 1st and there are some pick swaps (2nd/3rd rounds) and Luko becomes a Crow.
Players who request a trade have always nominated a single club they wish to go to. It is then up to their current club to negotiate with the player’s chosen club.

I can’t recall any player stating something like ‘I wish to go to Victoria, any club will do’ and the club raffling off for the best offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back