Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The trading of picks 2 years in advance is huge.

We are traditionally a club that makes 1 decent move, if any, per year so it's not likely, but an off-season of this would be doable with some creative thinking.

Pick 4 - Lalor/Langford
Pick (Melbourne 2nd) - ?
Pick - Welsh
Rookie - ?
Future 1st - Phillipou
Future 2nd - Luko
Future Future 2nd - phillipou

Plus we would have the Berry pick likely to use if needed. Not sure how this would impact salary cap
If Phillipou is an option, I can't see us keeping pick 4 this year. Saints will be demanding a lot for him seeing as he is still in contract and still so young.

If Phillipou is an option, I can't see us keeping pick 4 this year. Saints will be demanding a lot for him seeing as he is still in contract and still so young.
Where is this being reported as an option? There’s LOtS of rumours in recent days inc now Philippou and Luko on 1m year for last 2 years but haven’t seen anything in the media

2024 first - Draper
2024 Melb 2nd - ANB
2025 2nd - Lukosius
2024 Berry trade + 2025 First - Philipou
Trade 28+42 for 20 (GC) - Dodson (20)
2024 Bundle of whatever we have left or can get or late 2025 - Welsh
2024 FA - Cumming

Everyone who is out of contact is gone, to make space.

Happy take offers for (or simply unload some of ) Borlase, Burgess, Crouch, Cook, Gollant, Hamill, Himmelberg, Jones, Laird, McHenry, Murphy, Parnell, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Smith, Strachan and perhaps Taylor, Bond, Keane or Nankervis
The Melbourne 2nd is pick 26 which is way too much for ANB.

You then also trade that 2nd again by packaging it with 42 to try and get pick 20.

42 is fine for ANB.

Interesting - since yesterday morning reaching out to my MFC contact, I said in jest 'Bit going on with your players and club at the moment I hear..." :$

My contact just said "Watch this space".... bit cryptic, but funny since then reports emerge that Neal-Bullen likely to request trade and Norf talking to Viney.

My takeaway from the short conversation and the tone in my contacts voice was that where there is smoke there is fire.

Just get the feeling players are turning on Goodwin.

Interesting - since yesterday morning reaching out to my MFC contact, I said in jest 'Bit going on with your players and club at the moment I hear..." :$

My contact just said "Watch this space".... bit cryptic, but funny since then reports emerge that Neal-Bullen likely to request trade and Norf talking to Viney.

My takeaway from the short conversation and the tone in my contacts voice was that where there is smoke there is fire.

I would use the Seinfeld gif but I fear he may jump ship or be offered a lifeline at the AFC

A well connected Melbourne Board Mod has been saying exactly the same thing.

If Phillipou is coming in I don't see how we retain pick 4... but I'm not sure I care.

4Phillipou
F2Lukosius
BerryNeal-Bullen
-Cumming (FA)
Trade 28+42 for 20 (GC)Dodson (20)
IF Phillipou was at all on the cards, a trade down from 4 with GC may work. Ie 4 and melb 2nd for 6 & 11. Then offer 11 and f1 for phillipou and maybe an f2 coming back and use 6 to draft a Langford or Lalor type. If we can then work a way to trade for luko via draft picks gained (ie f2 + extra) from trading one or 2 out and get welsh as well, that would be immense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodwin is cooked. Gone.

Is he going to start his decline before we contend though?

If he will, then there's no point. If not... then there is a point.
That's my concern. I don't think his age fits our list profile. We're trying to move out these older guys in decline... Smith is done, Laird is on the way down, Crouch won't be far behind him, Tex can probably get through 1 more season with limited expectations on his output. Even Dawson is starting to look like he'll age out of his peak before we're contending. ANB would be the same.

Our forward line isn't looking too bad... Thilthorpe, Fog, Keays, Tex / Welsh, possibly Pedlar, plus Rankine / Rachele / Curtin rotating between forward / midfield. Priorities for us need to be a midfielder, a ruckman, key forward (Welsh) and possibly another key defender if Keane goes. I'd have a go at Lukosius if we can do a deal that doesn't involve a 1st round pick. If ANB was a FA I'd consider it, but I don't really see him as a need worth giving up any meaningful capital for.

IF Phillipou was at all on the cards, a trade down from 4 with GC may work. Ie 4 and melb 2nd for 6 & 11. Then offer 11 and f1 for phillipou and maybe an f2 coming back and use 6 to draft a Langford or Lalor type. If we can then work a way to trade for luko via draft picks gained (ie f2 + extra) from trading one or 2 out and get welsh as well, that would be immense
Should we be concerned that he was a die hard pear fan growing up? And the fact the scum are after him too? Going to be interesting to see how things pan out over next few years considering both SA clubs are very keen on Poo and NWM. Hence why I wouldn’t be handing much over for Jack the downhill skier. We need collateral for gettable top tier players.

Should we be concerned that he was a die hard pear fan growing up? And the fact the scum are after him too? Going to be interesting to see how things pan out over next few years considering both SA clubs are very keen on Poo and NWM. Hence why I wouldn’t be handing much over for Jack the downhill skier. We need collateral for gettable top tier players.
Smells like a salary push - which is exactly how I would advise him

The real question is, do we go undefeated in 2025 now that we're getting Luko, ANB, Phillipou, Oliver, Cumming as well as Balme as head of football and jettisonning Ned McHenry?

Even Nicks couldn't bottle that kind of setup.

I never understand the concept of kids growing up as a die hard Port fan.

Just makes no sense. Like how does that even happen?

apologies if this has been posted already but Dees understand Bullen is gone

Melbourne football boss Alan Richardson said the club understood Neal-Bullen’s decision.

“Obviously, it will be incredibly disappointing for the club to farewell Alex. However, we understand how necessary this move is for him and his family,” Richardson said.

“Throughout our discussions with Alex, it’s been incredibly telling how much he loves our football club, but given the nature of the circumstances, this is a decision he has to make.

“When the time is right, we will work closely with the South Australian-based clubs to ensure the best possible outcome for the Melbourne Football Club in addition to Alex and his family.

“This is a sensitive situation for Alex, and we ask that his privacy is respected at this time.”

On Tuesday, Melbourne chief executive Gary Pert sent a letter to members refuting reports Petracca wanted out of his contract, which runs until the end of the 2029 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back