Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Pedlar wasnt injured, would Murphy be playing
they both played together last year. that said, I choose to not roll with the cliched Nicks always plays older players - who said recently Curtin would play SANFL for the rest of the year after Cats game? - and feel Murphy is first in line to go once we have a decent replacement. Unfortunately Mc H has been equally horrid

Yea, the issue with Murphy isn't necessarily that Nicks sees talent in him, it's that he ignores the lack of it because he so highly rates his effort. And that means it doesn't matter how much talent you bring in, Nicks will always potentially steer back to him being a best 22 guy because that's the only thing Murphy has to differentiate himself from any other player who do have AFL quality traits in an ability sense.

Committing to old players that won't be part of a flag team is how you end up going through a rebuild and yet still remaining inexperienced

When the guys that won't be there end up retiring, you have to replace them with a new player anyway - just this time they're 70-100 games less experienced than they otherwise would have been.

Or you have to bring in another recruit, who takes time to get up to speed, depends on the market at the time, etc.

Neal-Bullen is a fine enough player, but he's the sort you bring in to sure up a role for a flag tilt. He's not going to do much for a rebuild. So getting him means we have to go all the way.
No, I disagree.

Obviously you need some mature heads on ground. Young players are still developing and learning and they can't learn solely from each other, or just from some things they're told to do by staff.

They need to have calm and experienced heads around them, people who know winning habits.

If we were an older side and sitting 15th, then I wouldn't want ANB. But we're very young, and the best way to have experience in our side is don't pay much for it and have them doing roles. This seems exactly right.

Last edited:
Yea, the issue with Murphy isn't necessarily that Nicks sees talent in him, it's that he ignores the lack of it because he so highly rates his effort. And that means it doesn't matter how much talent you bring in, Nicks will always potentially steer back to him being a best 22 guy because that's the only thing Murphy has to differentiate himself from any other player who do have AFL quality traits in an ability sense.
Murphy had a role. Most AFL sides have one - he starts forward of the ball, gets to contests and fills space defensively.

It sounds like the easiest role in the world to fill, and it SHOULD be. But it wasn't McHenry and it's not Taylor - who's too offensive minded - and it's not Cook. It should have been Pedlar (who can do this and have more power about his game) and it definitely could be ANB.

They're not playing Murphy because they're dumber than 5AA talk back callers. They're doing it because he does something unglamorous that we otherwise struggle to fill.

Ridiculous and hopefully it changes.

We don't really have someone for Murphy's role at the moment. ANB is literally a better version of the same thing.
I think the greatest magic trick the AFC ever pulled was convincing people that our gamplan relied on the clubs low ceiling senior players to perform critical non statistical role's that could never be replicated by its substantially higher ceiling, younger players.

My point being, I don't think the teams success relies on someone improving a "Lachlan Murphy role". I would just prefer a higher ceiling forward to create substantially bigger problems for the opposition defenders.

Last edited:
No, I disagree.

Obviously you need some mature heads on ground. Young players are still developing and learning and they can't learn solely from each other, or just from some things they're told to do by staff.

They need to have calm and experienced heads around them, people who know winning habits.

If we were an older side and sitting 15th, then I wouldn't want ANB. But we're very young, and the best way to have experience in our side is don't pay much for it and have them doing roles. This seems exactly right.
Add in premiership player also. Would be the only one on our list surely

Nicks probably sees a lot of himself as a coach in Murphy as a player.
A good bloke, good for the vibe and culture.

Doesn't offer much in a football sense though.

I think the greatest magic trick the AFC ever pulled was convincing people that our gamplan relied on the clubs low ceiling senior players to perform critical non statistical role's that could never be replicated by its substantially higher ceiling, younger players.

My point being, I don't think the teams success relies on someone improving a "Lachlan Murphy role". I would just prefer a higher ceiling forward to create problems for the opposition defenders.
Latest pic of Lachie Murphy at training:
IMG_8384.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 4:30 mark, Twomey mention Lukosius last 2 years is at $1M but will need an early pick lol.

Does he mean an early pick in the scale of the whole draft, ie somewhere first or early second round? Or in the scale of the really good picks ie early in the first round? I reckon the former.

Happy to avoid Luko for a high pick. Port can pay his salary and cough up a first and a second, will end up forcing bergman or butters out

Herald Sun we’re suggesting a F2 for Luko. That is a no brainer in my view. Given the HS usually hype things up in a way that’s disadvantageous to us - I wonder if Luko has been heavily backended on his contract?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Eh, AVB is an upgrade on Murphy and gives a bit of experience/leadership to a side who needs it.

Not an exciting addition, but if he's cheap, it does make us better in the short term.

Eh, AVB is an upgrade on Murphy and gives a bit of experience/leadership to a side who needs it.

Not an exciting addition, but if he's cheap, it does make us better in the short term.
I don't think a Van Berlo of Victoria Bitter would be an upgrade.

Maybe the latter, but close call.

Rethinking my mega buy up from a couple of pages back.
Some sage arguments posted here about old dudes getting in the way of developing players, but then what if there's a sudden rise? If all things go well and we stumble into the eight next year, players like ANB would be ideal.
It's all about reading the tea leaves and deciding what our trajectory is most likely to be. Fast? - bring in Cumming, ANB and Daniel, Slower? - don't bring them in and develop our own from what is a pretty exciting list + pick 4.
Tricky choice, best left to brainier chaps than me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back