Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we need ANB?
Is he best 22? Is he an upgrade on a best 22 player?

I dont know if he is or isnt but I do know Murphy being in the side and allowed to wander around getting 8 disposals and 1 defensive effort is BS

Wait, we have to pay overs for a player we didn't even pursue?

Our moral responsibility is to make a list position available for him, so he's not stuck without a way to get home.

We owe absolutely zero to Melbourne, and shouldn't be expected to overpay for something we didn't even say we wanted.

ANB is a 29 role player, a glue guy - we shouldn't expect him for free, but anything more than pick 35 or so is overs.

How bad is your comprehension that you took out of this that I think we needed to pay overs or that we were morally bound to do anything.

Seriously how can you even get that out of what I wrote?

None of that is written anywhere.

I'm happy to tolerate people making mistakes, I've made plenty myself but this is taking the piss.

How bad is your comprehension that you took out of this that I think we needed to pay overs or that we were morally bound to do anything.

Seriously how can you even get that out of what I wrote?

None of that is written anywhere.

I'm happy to tolerate people making mistakes, I've made plenty myself but this is taking the piss.
No, yours was just a very odd post.

We're helping out ANB, and frankly Melbourne as well.

They want to do their right thing for player welfare, and we're coming to the party to assist.

We don't need to pay full price for a player we didn't even pursue.

It's fine for us to take on all of the salary that Melbourne owes him - but it can't be that Melbourne gets a draft pick haul as well.

What he is worth is a very late second or a third. Anything else is an overpay.

Interesting mail I got back on Oliver.... Apparently "He is really up in the air at the moment and has a lot going on to think about"

Still think very unlikely Crows would get him but sounds like going to be huge offseason for Melbourne.
With where he is at, if he was leaving with that contract, it would be Melbourne giving a draft pick to the taking club. Huge risk now he may never get back to being like the player he was

Interesting mail I got back on Oliver.... Apparently "He is really up in the air at the moment and has a lot going on to think about"

Still think very unlikely Crows would get him but sounds like going to be huge offseason for Melbourne.
Best for him to move clubs or take a year off if his head isn't in the right place.

Feel ANB is a good little moneyball opportunity for us.
Is a good bang for buck type player in terms of possessions / impact on game, but should also be good bang for buck in terms of salary (assuming it's not too high). Definitely one of the better defensive half forwards in the comp, and you can tell he will drive a good standard on the track.

Let's say he's currently on 500k, and worth pick 27 (arbitrary no.) on the general market. I'd suggest a discount on the draft pick and/or his salary would be reasonable to expect in the circumstances that he wants to return home, and Melb appear very willing to facilitate it.

Is either of the below reasonable?

- Adel take on his entire salary but only give up a pick in the late 40s onwards
or
- Melb pay 100-200k and we give up pick in the low 30s.

Something like that (don't get too caught up on exact pick no.)

Either of the above would sit pretty comfortably with me I think.

Another article I read in the last 24 hrs (could have been afl site on this occasion) saying Cats watching closely and could fit both Bailey Smith and Oliver into their cap. That club needs a Royal Inquisition

Also mentioned Pies watching Pets and Power Pickett. I would LOVE Pickett but can’t see any of the above, with the exception of Oliver, possibly happening. And doubt I would risk it on Oliver based on all available information

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel ANB is a good little moneyball opportunity for us.
Is a good bang for buck type player in terms of possessions / impact on game, but should also be good bang for buck in terms of salary (assuming it's not too high). Definitely one of the better defensive half forwards in the comp, and you can tell he will drive a good standard on the track.

Let's say he's currently on 500k, and worth pick 27 (arbitrary no.) on the general market. I'd suggest a discount on the draft pick and/or his salary would be reasonable to expect in the circumstances that he wants to return home, and Melb appear very willing to facilitate it.

Is either of the below reasonable?

- Adel take on his entire salary but only give up a pick in the late 40s onwards
or
- Melb pay 100-200k and we give up pick in the low 30s.

Something like that (don't get too caught up on exact pick no.)

Either of the above would sit pretty comfortably with me I think.
Agree with his worth and salary estimate you mentioned.

If we are getting him for slight unders (say 35-low 40’s) not sure it’s worth haggling over other stuff. Just take the player who will likely give us 4 years+ at a high level and is a great team man with premiership success (feel it’s important to have someone on the list with flag experience for our upcoming finals series hopefully starting sooner rather than later)

Yeah, I agree with you. I think Melbourne will be understanding, and the difference between 42 and his actual value (35 or so?) might be close enough that they just call it a wash.
Swap for Gollant?

He’ll struggle to get games with us with Fog, TT & Tex and Melbourne are in dire need of adding some depth to the attack.

Another article I read in the last 24 hrs (could have been afl site on this occasion) saying Cats watching closely and could fit both Bailey Smith and Oliver into their cap. That club needs a Royal Inquisition

Also mentioned Pies watching Pets and Power Pickett. I would LOVE Pickett but can’t see any of the above, with the exception of Oliver, possibly happening. And doubt I would risk it on Oliver based on all available information
I assume with Hawkins finishing up there is a "bit" more money around, but how on earth they could engineer both Smith and Oliver coming across (without the issue of a new McDonalds licence in Barwon Heads...) is beyond me.

If I were Geelong, I'd steer well clear of Oliver. I don't think Stengle and Oliver in the same team is a good idea, regarding all their off-field issues. Also do Geelong even have enough cap space for that? And a good number of draft picks as well

Does anyone know when the last time we had a premiership player on our list was? Seems like a long time
I've gone back to Podsiadly. May be one more in there somewhere.

Does anyone know when the last time we had a premiership player on our list was? Seems like a long time
Last one traded in was James Podsiadly, before that Wayne Carey

In between those we still had some 1998 premiership players on our list up to 2010

Was Stengle Listed by Richmond during their flags? I don't remember him playing in one, but might have been around the club
Stengle played 2 games in 2017 rounds 15/16.,

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back