Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would've thought Darren Burgess is simply an employee of the club.

You can't 'hold' an employee to an employment contract. If he wants to go, he'll go.
Ok fair enough, I am certainly more than open to learning more. Are you an employment lawyer or similar?

What are the players then? Are they not employees? Can we not hold them to their contract? My understanding is if a contracted employee - like a player - has a contract then they can be held to their contract but very happy to be proven wrong.

*checks into thread to see if any actual legit rumours or new news... * :$

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

I think people are taking something said to the media too seriously.
What's he supposed to say? "Yeah, Smith is a worry. We need to get rid of him"?
He's always going to support and promote his players.
It was a meaningless thing to say and he's certainly not going to tell the media what's going on in the inner circle.

Exactly. Majority of things said by football clubs in the media are platitudes to keep the average supporter happy and informed
Taken far too seriously by those on here (for all clubs)
Recent examples - Rioli saying Tiger for life just end of last season, our own Dawson said Sydney fans have nothing to worry about.

Nicks was just supporting a guy who has been a good player for club over a long period

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
So you condone Nicks using press conferences to blatantly tell lies?
Kane, by George, you are now officially Nicks 2nd biggest basher as a general observation. Certainly not invalidating your feelings at all and Nicks has absolutely had a shocker of a year. Not sure many are arguing otherwise.

Facts are we are stuck with him (with 99% certainty) for another 50-100% of a footy season.

He has one last chance after a textbook rebuild progression - until this year.

I think people are taking something said to the media too seriously.
What's he supposed to say? "Yeah, Smith is a worry. We need to get rid of him"?
He's always going to support and promote his players.
It was a meaningless thing to say and he's certainly not going to tell the media what's going on in the inner circle.
How about selecting him to reach his trigger?

Kane, by George, you are now officially Nicks 2nd biggest basher as a general observation. Certainly not invalidating your feelings at all and Nicks has absolutely had a shocker of a year. Not sure many are arguing otherwise.

Facts are we are stuck with him (with 99% certainty) for another 50-100% of a footy season.

He has one last chance after a textbook rebuild progression - until this year.
I have observed Nick enough to know he does not have the ability to be a successful coach. He's just not strategically smart in any way.

The club are wasting everyone's time by persisting with this nonsense that he can coach.

I don't listen to his press conferences... & only catch what is mentioned here or in the news... because I feel dumber for listening to him. It's even worse when he tells outright lies, which I can have no respect for. As members we deserve a coach who can at least be honest & if he can't talk about something say silent, rather than treating us like idiots.

I have observed Nick enough to know he does not have the ability to be a successful coach. He's just not strategically smart in any way.

The club are wasting everyone's time by persisting with this nonsense that he can coach.

I don't listen to his press conferences... & only catch what is mentioned here or in the news... because I feel dumber for listening to him. It's even worse when he tells outright lies, which I can have no respect for. As members we deserve a coach who can at least be honest & if he can't talk about something say silent, rather than treating us like idiots.
Yep it's the first time I've felt no optimism. At least with our previous coaches they had runs on the board so you could see some light. They are now wasting everyone's time. The people that still continue to watch that is.

Forget Nicks.

I think everything said in a press conference should be taken with a grain of salt.

Did that actor really love working with their costars?

Does that politician really believe the state has never had a better economy?

Does that cricketer really respect their opposition and everything they bring?

It's just a way of filling column inches. You'd be a fool to tell the world and your opponents everything you really believe.

Forget Nicks.

I think everything said in a press conference should be taken with a grain of salt.

Did that actor really love working with their costars?

Does that politician really believe the state has never had a better economy?

Does that cricketer really respect their opposition and everything they bring?

It's just a way of filling column inches. You'd be a fool to tell the world and your opponents everything you really believe.
Why make an idiotic statement that Smith is an important part of our future?

Just makes himself look stupid & treating his supporter base like idiots.

It just damages his credibility.

Can't respect someone who openly talks lies.

I would like the club to forget about Nicks full stop!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard a whisper that we're not landing anyone apart from ANB

There has been some talk that Cumming not coming to us
Luko is a bit of a long shot - so could easily be the case
Bombers fans seem to think they have Rosa

So who knows - long way to go before trade period

There has been some talk that Cumming not coming to us
Luko is a bit of a long shot - so could easily be the case
Bombers fans seem to think they have Rosa

So who knows - long way to go before trade period

I feel like we don't have many list spots. Signed up too many spuds.

Nicks saying Smith is a big part of our future wasn’t a lie ….. coaching the young kids in the SANFL Crows, is a very important component of our future

It’s always about the context … not what you think he was saying

Maybe. But both are contracted until like 2030 so within Melbourne's rights to hold both of them.

Still think that some sort of deal was done.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a big off field resignation or sacking at Melbourne.

Something has to give there.

My 2 contacts at MFC (in off field non football dept roles) have both resigned and left in last month from there.... Both said it was 'toxic'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back