Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 161 82.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The reduction in the soft cap has had ranging ramifications .....do assistants want to shift families interstate for the uncertainty of football longevity, and for the money

It has zero to do with Nicks though.....if in fact he was so bad, Dawson & Rankine wouldn't have chosen us .....Rachele wouldn't have accepted his recent humiliation .....and we wouldn't be in the running to get ANB, Lukosius, and Cumming
So you can throw that theory right out the window

Throw that theory right out the window?

I wasn’t suggesting Nicks is some leper people are unwilling to touch. I was saying that offering career progression is hugely important in attracting high quality assistants. Nicks is not as enticing of a coach to work under, as Scott or Longmire and probably now Mitchell would be. That’s reality.

Can't disagree with any of this .... The ridiculous traffic, no matter the time of day, or day ...it is the best part of Adelaide now, ease of getting around

You have to allow an hour and half everywhere ....there's daily accidents on the ring road, that can turn a 40 min trip into 2 hours ....just exhausting
I work on Suburban Rail Loop and if there's a single accident a 90 minute journey becomes just under 3 hours one way.

Considering my future.

Throw that theory right out the window?

I wasn’t suggesting Nicks is some leper people are unwilling to touch. I was saying that offering career progression is hugely important in attracting high quality assistants. Nicks is not as enticing of a coach to work under, as Scott or Longmire and probably now Mitchell would be. That’s reality.
Opinions change frequently & quickly .....last year, the barbs were out for Mitchell, he cut the list too deep ect

Our polls on the board, strongly suggested the majority of posters expected Finals this year .....you simply don't have that belief, if you think the Coach can't Coach .....the major focus was on the timing around any coaching extension

So, the Club didn't meet supporters expectations ....so 9 months on, suddenly Nicks can't Coach & suddenly Mitchell is the second coming

Half way mark of the year, Longmuire (FREO) is the talk of the footy world ....now the spotlight is back on him

You can say the same about Voss

Nah, the reality is cloaked by emotion ....the footy world is not on Nicks back .....Rowe is not on Nicks back

Supporters as usual need a scapegoat ....and they're shooting their arrows far & wide

I work on Suburban Rail Loop and if there's a single accident a 90 minute journey becomes just under 3 hours one way.

Considering my future.
Yep ....it was enough for me to retire, which I had no intention of doing, as I had to meet clients all over Melbourne

8Opinions change frequently & quickly .....last year, the barbs were out for Mitchell, he cut the list too deep ect

Our polls on the board, strongly suggested the majority of posters expected Finals this year .....you simply don't have that belief, if you think the Coach can't Coach .....the major focus was on the timing around any coaching extension

So, the Club didn't meet supporters expectations ....so 9 months on, suddenly Nicks can't Coach & suddenly Mitchell is the second coming

Half way mark of the year, Longmuire (FREO) is the talk of the footy world ....now the spotlight is back on him

Nah, the reality is cloaked by emotion ....the footy world is not on Nicks back .....Rowe is not on Nicks back

Supporters as usual need a scapegoat ....and they're shooting their arrows far & wide
When I predict I generally look at list quality. I probably underestimate the ability of coaching to develop players and make them better than their talent level suggests, or to the level they should be.

Mitchell has developed his players.
Nicks hasn't.
For talent, we should have been knocking on the finals door.
Mitchell has probably over achieved.

That's a huge stretch there
well ive lived and worked in melbourne last 30 years but travel back a lot to adelaide so i can see our home games so i have a pretty good set of data to go on. adelaide has really improved last few years. melb cbd is now a grimey slimey drug infested construction zone wasteland now.

When I predict I generally look at list quality. I probably underestimate the ability of coaching to develop players and make them better than their talent level suggests, or to the level they should be.

Mitchell has developed his players.
Nicks hasn't.
For talent, we should have been knocking on the finals door.
Mitchell has probably over achieved.
Far more have developed under Nicks ....Keays, Nankervis, Rankine is far better than at GC, Thilthorpe, Fogarty Sholl ....I could go on & on

Rachele hasn't ....and I have an interesting theory

GEEL leaders laid down the riot act to Ablett Jnr, who was coasting along on his talent & playing a permanent small fwd .....this was pointed out to him, and that he needed to knuckle down to realise his full potential

Is this a similar scenario to Rachele ?

Anyway, back to your post ....yes IMO HAW are having an out-of-the-box season .....which doesn't reflect their list quality
This season could hurt them

Whereas the scrutiny on the Crows, another low Draft Pick ...and the urgency to get into Finals .....could be just the tonic we need

Opinions change frequently & quickly .....last year, the barbs were out for Mitchell, he cut the list too deep ect

Supporters need a scapegoat? Nicks is being blamed for the faults and wrongdoings of others? I think Nicks is being blamed for his faults and wrongdoings.

Also, are you saying you cannot judge a coach's career on his performance over that career?

You are talking like a climate change denier Wayne ... the climate isn't changing BECAUSE the weather was nice a couple of Saturday's back.

We aren't looking at individual instances here, we are looking at a trend over a loooong period of time in AFL coaches terms.

Find me another coach with anything close to MN's record to this stage of their career - that turned it around. Or is our Matty a special one-out-of-box coach that has his own set of standards to be judged by?

No-one in here wants him to be bad. No-one in here wants us to fail. The guy is just not the guy we hoped he would be. We stuffed up his extension (I'm sure you agree with that) - when all we had to do was say "You make finals, we extend" and if we had just had that small amount of acumen, no-one would be talking about him AT ALL right now.

Far more have developed under Nicks ....Keays, Nankervis, Rankine is far better than at GC, Thilthorpe, Fogarty Sholl ....I could go on & on

Rachele hasn't ....and I have an interesting theory

GEEL leaders laid down the riot act to Ablett Jnr, who was coasting along on his talent & playing a permanent small fwd .....this was pointed out to him, and that he needed to knuckle down to realise his full potential

Is this a similar scenario to Rachele ?

Anyway, back to your post ....yes IMO HAW are having an out-of-the-box season .....which doesn't reflect their list quality
This season could hurt them

Whereas the scrutiny on the Crows, another low Draft Pick ...and the urgency to get into Finals .....could be just the tonic we need

The majority of players will develop in one form or another under any Coach, in any system. Have they developed to their potential?Have they developed at ,or above an average pace?. Are they showing the desired level of consistency required to be a threat?How has the team developed as a unit? Have players gone backwards under his watch?
These are some of the real questions you need to ask. If you do and then suggest experience is the issue, ask yourself if they have been afforded adequate exposure in their ideal positions vs years on Nix list.

I feel Nicks fails all of the above.

If we don't have a big Improvement in the coaching team - such as two STRONG additions - and at least two additions to our first 18 (not including pick 4), then I'll join the ranks criticising the off season.
No you wont - you will twist it and justify it '' nobody wants to come here''

If we don't have a big Improvement in the coaching team - such as two STRONG additions - and at least two additions to our first 18 (not including pick 4), then I'll join the ranks criticising the off season.
No you won't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both the Bevo and Lyon comments in the media were about the coach being the reason players want to leave.

That has been a Clarko rumour for a while, and there's been zero interest in players joining North since his arrival. Same for Lyon.

North had trouble attracting quality players well before Clarko. It was a yearly joke that they were into some big fish who ended up going elsewhere or re-signing.

Or you’ll open another account and support the reasoning the club didn’t do that.

The reduction in the soft cap has had ranging ramifications .....do assistants want to shift families interstate for the uncertainty of football longevity, and for the money

It has zero to do with Nicks though.....if in fact he was so bad, Dawson & Rankine wouldn't have chosen us .....Rachele wouldn't have accepted his recent humiliation .....and we wouldn't be in the running to get ANB, Lukosius, and Cumming
So you can throw that theory right out the window

Players have been going to and staying at clubs with crap coaches for ever. The garbage that flows from your keyboard is truly impressive.

The football world is on Nicks back. Sorry to break this to you.

Nicks will 100% be sacked without incredible improvement* in the team. It's only a matter of when.

*Incredible improvement means mid top 8 or higher from the bottom 4. Like Melbourne, Collingwood, Brisbane and now Hawthorn all in the past 7-8 years.

What are you even on about?

What we achieved last year is in no way comparable to the Hawks this year.

And what you’re saying does not dispute my point.

I am sure that for Rahilly, moving to the Cats where he can coach under Scott was definitely a factor in his decision. Do you seriously think that people would look at Nicks the same way?

I would love to see it too. Perhaps Scott would crumble. He took over a team featuring names like Ling, Milburn, Kelly, Selwood, Corey, Chapman, Enright, Johnson, Scarlet, Hawkins, Mooney, Taylor, Ottens, Mackie. That is an unbelievable list of names at your disposal day 1 of coaching. Scott probably wouldnt be stupid enough to take on our list...

15 players from Geelongs round 1 side 5 years ago are still playing in their best 22 this season. We have 10 IF I include Smith and Milera, and its a disgrace Murphy is in there. That kind of continuity and ability to gradually turn the list over must play a part. But I dont doubt he knows how to coach.

Mitchell was announced next coach in July 2021.
They took Newcombe in 2021 mid season draft, picked Josh Ward and Connor McDonald in 2021.
Amon as a free Agent 2022, Traded out Gunston, Mitchell and O'Meara, traded in Meek, drafted Weddle and McKenzie.
2023 traded Ginnivan in for a packet of chips, Brought Gunston back for basically free, Chol for a late 2nd, D'Ambrossio for nothing, drafted Watson and Dear.

Thats 13 players making an impact now across 3 draft periods. In the same time we have Dawson, Rankine, Rachele, Nank, Taylor, Soligo, Michalanney, Dowling, Curtin. 9 players with 3 players not mainstays this season.

I also dont doubt Mitchell as a great coach. But dont underestimate the effect of successful aggressive and risky trading, and quality drafting.

I dont know what the answer is. Hawthorn nailed the last 3 years though, and Geelong has had the luxury of casually turning over an average of 1.5-2 players in their best 22 every year for near 20 years now meaning no real bottoming out. If Scott or Mitchell came to the crows the biggest issue is they would not be bringing their respective lists with them.

Hard getting people to come to Adelaide, that’s the reality. We are a dumb club though, started a rebuild and don’t hire a few extra development coaches as well. Not sure if it’s money or something else but our coaching group as a whole is poor, not many players have improved over the journey. Even Max hasn’t improved that much after a great first year.
We have stupidly signed Nicks and made him our man, it’s time to get rid of all other coaches and start again.

I think development is as much to blame as drafting. The proof in my eyes is looking at Rach, his first 6 weeks after getting drafted was great and then we start couching him and turn him into an average player. Next year is the year that we will find out about our club, no more excuses about being young or inexperienced. Perform or go, that goes to the players and couches

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The football world is on Nicks back. Sorry to break this to you.

Nicks will 100% be sacked without incredible improvement* in the team. It's only a matter of when.

*Incredible improvement means mid top 8 or higher from the bottom 4. Like Melbourne, Collingwood, Brisbane and now Hawthorn all in the past 7-8 years.
Next year is too late as if he is flailing which we all think will happen, its another wasted season. It needs to happen now so a replacement can be brought in and have a full preseason to get the new message across and game plan in place

I'd almost rather play Harry Boyd from Norwood in Ruck and lose most taps but at least he's competent at football who can kick handpass and mark, what good is O'Brien winning 40 hitouts every week if they aren't going to our midfielders and he's absolutely woeful around the ground other than a mark here and there.

It's easy to understand why player decisions wait until trade week concludes, nothing to be gained by going early. No such reasoning with respect to coaches or club staff though. Surely if anyone was being moved on we'd know about it by now. It's not like they get traded and the club they're going to is still in the mix. Looks like we're goin* into 2025 with the same off-field group. Yippee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back