Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be an interesting trade period

Clearance sales everywhere?

Might dilute what Richmond (and others) were expecting to be getting for all the players they're tipping out?

Its going to be interesting. There are a lot of players coming onto the market in a decent draft year. Teams I think are going to be extremely reluctant to give up a first round pick, especially if you are on the wrong side of 28.

I don’t think he’s worth just a second, given what his potential could be to a contending club, but the risk is incredibly high. Likely worth more to Melb than anyone else, at this point

The trick is going to be which club and whether they can absorb his salary. Both Carlton and Collingwood said no primarily on his salary, and no doubt reservations on his injury. Realistically it can be argued that its going to take him 12 months to find his game again. that means he will be 30 before you start really getting that return. Martin never reached the heights he did after his big injury.

Dont get me wrong, worth a punt but is anyone going to want to part with a first rounder for him. Maybe if Melbourne pay a substantial part of his Salary.

They’ll need to hit on pick 5 + the picks they may get for Petracca, as well as make sure JVR/Howes/Windsor/Tholstrup/McVee/Turner etc continue on an upward trajectory

Absolutely time for a mini-rebuild for them
Not sure how it can be a mini rebuild when 5 or 6 of your top 7 players ain’t gonna be there in 2 years like Gawn, Viney, Petracca, May and Brayshaw gone. Oliver possibly never the same, that’s their WHOLE elite midfield which was their core strength along with best ruckman in he game and possibly best KPD. Replacing all of them is a MAJOR rebuild without question,

Could be an interesting trade period

Clearance sales everywhere?

Might dilute what Richmond (and others) were expecting to be getting for all the players they're tipping out?
Good point if more than one team decides to go the full rebuild now. Tiges are already doing it. Dees, Cats, Eagles and Pies most likely other candidates based on age profiles but Pies have said no to rebuilding thru the draft (as long as they don’t expect repeated bargains in the trade period)

Would be classic Crows to trade pick 4 in a stacked midfield draft for a "maybe he can be a midfielder but has only shown very occasional glimpses" Pickett.

Actually can't believe people have suggested that here.
You're one of the great BigFooty posters - but don't you find it exhausting getting upset about things that haven't happened?

I'm struggling to think of a time the Crows have done anything like this, unless you mean Carey?

Last edited:
Melbourne seem like they'll be at a bit of a crossroads.

• Gawn will be 33 at the end of the year.
  • May will be 33 in Jan.
  • Viney will be 31 in April.
  • Petracca?
  • Oliver just turned 27 however obviously not a good season and if he doesn't bounce back, they're screwed.
  • Brayshaw gone from last season and ANB on his way out.
  • Doesn't count for a great deal but Melksham is 33, Brown and Smith now off the list.

It looks like a pretty aging list and hard to imagine they'll get back to covid season form if Petracca does go - so do you cash in on Oliver and start your rebuild now? That said, Oliver won't get you much of a return with his 2024 season / off-season issues...

Guys like Bowey, Bowes, Petty, Pickett, Rivers, Pickett, Sparrow, JVR, Windsor all look like decent best 22 players but it won't be the same Melbourne.
I'd look to do Petracca and Pickett now.

You'd want five good pieces from it - probably a young player and four picks.

They could do eight 1sts and 2nds over two years, which would be very valuable.

You're one of the great BigFooty posters - but don't you find it exhausting getting upset about things that haven't happened?

I'm struggling to think of a time the Crows have done anything like this, unless you mean Carey?
Classic crows = dumb errors
Absolutely dumb error though.

Should we go through the list of more recent times?
Let’s start with getting smith to his trigger and dropping him for the rest of the year.
Sure as long as not already brought up thousands of times already please.

How can we be sure Smiths trigger wasn’t based over life of his contract compared to just the last year? Happy to get clarification on that - down the track - but most here will always assume the worst. Smith had been 4/5/6/7th in the 4 years B&F before this year so was rightfully playing games - and not spudding it up in previous years as a number of posters have claimed

Sure as long as not already brought up thousands of times already please.

How can we be sure Smiths trigger wasn’t based over life of his contract compared to just the last year? Happy to get clarification on that - down the track - but most here will always assume the worst. Smith had been 4/5/6/7th in the 4 years B&F before this year so was rightfully playing games - and not spudding it up in previous years as a number of posters have claimed
Maybe I don’t need to if they have been brought up many times!
Not spudding it up?
Did you even watch the start of the year (you’re certainly excused if you didn’t due to how we played)
He was bad enough to the point he apologized to the group for how bad he was and then he still got picked.
Was it BACCS that said he has prearranged family to go to Perth for his 250th which boxed us in to picking him?

Last edited:
Maybe I don’t need to if they have been brought up many times!
Not sounding it up?
Did you even watch the start of the year (you’re certainly excused if you didn’t due to how we played)
He was bad enough to the point he apologized to the group for how bad he was and then he still got picked.
Was it BACCS that said he has prearranged family to go to Perth for his 250th which boxed us in to picking him?
Ok we are at cross purposes so let’s leave it. I said he hadn’t spudded it up in previous years and you are repeating 2024 form stuff which we already agree on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly him being dropped this year should be down to form, not what he was a few years ago.
Mate we are saying the same thing. He had had a good few years as a performing Snr player finishing 4-7th over the last 4 years in the B&F. This year he spudded it up and we all wish he didn’t have the contract extension but I am asking whether the contract extension was purely based on games played in 2024 or perhaps more an average games played per year (or absolute number) over life of contract. We don’t know.

It’s absolutely a waste having him on the list next year and is one of Reid’s mistakes. All List Mgrs make them (see Pies Grundy mega deal, Treloar and Stephenson etc) but in the big picture scheme of things it’s actually relatively minor compared to many bigger competition wide contractual #### ups. Do Lions regret giving a twice ACL’d player a big contract (600-650k/year reported) lasting 4-5 years last year when he wasn’t even on the park? Jesus, they have 4 more years of risk and he has now done his ACL for the third time without playing a game.

Do I wish we handnt contracted Smith with a trigger for 2025? Absolutely. Do I understand that List Mgt isn’t an exact science and players do have leverage and Smith was a core Snr player - both playing wise and culturally - when we were at our lowest ebb in 2019/2020 and can understand how he squeezed the trigger clause.

Kosi is an interesting player and for me, there’s no way we trade pick 4 for him. He can be elite but he gets suspended a lot and also has a lot of quiet game. Still very inconsistent but the type that could win you a flag in 5 minutes.
We need top midfielders and this is the draft to do it. Don’t know the stats but I bet we would be in the bottom 5 for inside 50’s. We just don’t get the ball down there enough for us to have an elite small forward.

I’d rather trade a F1 for Luko and Rosas, both will make us better as well as pick 4. Both are young and talented and will add some excitement to the team. ANB and Cummings with Walsh as well will give us everything we need bar a ruckman

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mate we are saying the same thing. He had had a good few years as a performing Snr player finishing 4-7th over the last 4 years in the B&F. This year he spudded it up and we all wish he didn’t have the contract extension but I am asking whether the contract extension was purely based on games played in 2024 or perhaps more an average games played per year (or absolute number) over life of contract. We don’t know.

It’s absolutely a waste having him on the list next year and is one of Reid’s mistakes. All List Mgrs make them (see Pies Grundy mega deal, Treloar and Stephenson etc) but in the big picture scheme of things it’s actually relatively minor compared to many bigger competition wide contractual #### ups. Do Lions regret giving a twice ACL’d player a big contract (600-650k/year reported) lasting 4-5 years last year when he wasn’t even on the park? Jesus, they have 4 more years of risk and he has now done his ACL for the third time without playing a game.

Do I wish we handnt contracted Smith with a trigger for 2025? Absolutely. Do I understand that List Mgt isn’t an exact science and players do have leverage and Smith was a core Snr player - both playing wise and culturally - when we were at our lowest ebb in 2019/2020 and can understand how he squeezed the trigger clause.
Yes, but my overall point was classic crows = dumb errors, this is one in a long line of them.
Regularly it seems our list management is out of step with our coaching staff.
How many times do we waste games on a player in the year we delist or trade them?

Last edited:
beat me to it. A 3rd rounder might get that done as he can't crack it at GC and put him in and around the goals and he could work out well for what we need to free up Rankine and Rachele further for midfield
If we get a F1 for Keane from Collingwood, then how about:-

Adelaide give our F1, 25 & Collingwood F1 for Lukoscius, Rosas & Pick 6 and a 3rd round pick?

Adelaide give our F1, 25 & Collingwood F1 for Lukoscius, Rosas & Pick 6 and a 3rd round pick?
I don't even think the Playstation would give us a F1 for Keane.

People are saying collingwood won't be able to trade that f1 as they will need to use it at the draft but they are not stumping up a f1 for keane in any event i would think unless we have something decent going back to them as well.

I'm not criticising the club, I'm saying that posters who said they'd be happy to give up pick 4 (or more) for Pickett are crazy.

The club avoiding chances to take midfielders with high picks is well documented though

Kosi is an interesting player and for me, there’s no way we trade pick 4 for him. He can be elite but he gets suspended a lot and also has a lot of quiet game. Still very inconsistent but the type that could win you a flag in 5 minutes.
We need top midfielders and this is the draft to do it. Don’t know the stats but I bet we would be in the bottom 5 for inside 50’s. We just don’t get the ball down there enough for us to have an elite small forward.

I’d rather trade a F1 for Luko and Rosas, both will make us better as well as pick 4. Both are young and talented and will add some excitement to the team. ANB and Cummings with Walsh as well will give us everything we need bar a ruckman

Pickett is perfect in terms of a "need" (small forward) and his age (23) but Melbourne would want this years first rounder. Just not worth it, same as Luko, the only way we get him is if we pay all of his salary and probably swap our pick 4 for their 12 or something disastrous where we get the next Chayce Jones.

Pickett would be a F1 in 2027 for us to go for a flag if that's the case at the time.

We are 13th for I50, 13th for Marks Inside 50 and 13th for Clearances. ie. poor supply of a low quality.

Rosas? Yes please!

Imagine if we had the luxury to be trading away players like Rosas!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back