Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 162 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey Smith has requested a trade. Has not named a club yet.
Yep, exit interviews were yesterday ....the Smith announcement was expected ....expect GEEL

Depends on what you're into - it's mostly a subjective mix with some objective factors like career prospects that make up peoples opinion like location. I think Melbourne is a great city, I always enjoy my time there, but I prefer to live in Adelaide (I spent a few years in Melbourne). For me I like access to nature, I can whip up to the hills or get to the beach really quickly. I'm close to an international airport, we've got a good food scene (Melbourne is supreme, but we're pretty damn good) and there is enough going on if you know where to go (bands, entertainment etc).

I run my own business that allows me to work remotely...but if I was still in a corporate role in Adelaide, yep, definitely there are less opportunities compared to Sydney and Melbourne in general ...and I think a lot of migration happens because of career...and some young Adelaidians wanting to broaden their horizons (which is great). I think COVID has changed that somewhat, which is why we've seen people come back here over the last 4 years.

And it's not a small city thing for me - again purely subjective, but as far as big cities go, I would prefer to live in London or Athens over Melbourne (I've lived in both, I'm originally from the UK), and I know people would hate both those cities and would choose Melbourne instead. It's just #vibes for the most part. Out of all the cities in in Australia, I think Adelaide has the best mix of things but that's just me.
Mate, that's fair enough and I think you've covered the issue really well.

Bailey Smith has requested a trade. Has not named a club yet.
It was speculated to be between the Cats and Hawks but it's hard to see the Hawks having the collateral with Barass and big interest in Perryman and Battle confirmed and maybe cap space issues so I think it has to be Geelong. Geelong will have the cap space with the likely retirement of a handful of veterans?

It was speculated to be between the Cats and Hawks but it's hard to see the Hawks having the collateral with Barass and big interest in Perryman and Battle confirmed and maybe cap space issues so I think it has to be Geelong. Geelong will have the cap space with the likely retirement of a handful of veterans?
Sure will when their players get these off the books wink wink

1725854262327.png

Oliver situation, from a trade perspective is a hard read
I'm guessing it's in both clubs interest (maybe more towards Melbourne) that if there is any possibility of the move being made then it not get out in public.

Melbourne want to promote a united front where all the players are happy in case a deal can't be made, we probably don't want it getting out and having media pressure added in to get a deal done when we probably want to do a lot of due diligence on Oliver to make sure it's not going to backfire on us.

That's what I said this year though.

And then we had a bunch of those who should have had the improvement regress, or be injured, and we gave out a bunch of games to underperforming elder players (Smith, I'm looking at you)... and I have no confidence that won't be repeated in 2025.
Agree with lots of that esp Smith but overall we were the most inexperienced team (or very close to) so not sure we really overdid the older players stuff that much. Murphy clearly isnt up to it but what other choice did we have for this role? Mc H even worse as a 'shaper', Peds as a small forward poor form/injured.

Our draw was rated 6th hardest at the start of the year despite us finishing 10th in 2023 so clearly we were up against that for starters with an inequitable fixture programmed by the AFL. As things turned out it ended up hardest but I also acknowledge it was a tight competition and teams beating us HELPED them finish higher (eg if Pies got us twice this year instead of a finalist they may have become a finalist also).

Not too many young guys regressed did they? Your thoughts? For me:

• Pedlar - most disappointing player IMO with form and fitness (inc PS prep) and then injuries (again) relative to promise shown last year. Needs a huge 2025 and good run with injuries
  • Jones - crap after his best year last year
  • Being pickier...Max didnt perhaps progress as much as I hoped this year but still showing excellent LT promise. Ditto Rachele. Curtin didnt blow us away in his 7 games expecting big step up next year. Murray a little underdone in his return and certainly not at 2023 levels.

Youngsters Soli, Worrell, Keane (esp first part of season), TT in his limited time back looked beast like and elite, and mid age players Fog (mainly second half of year) and Sholl - all career best years. Hinge also as good as last year if not better. Taylor especially and even Dowling were decent. So plenty of players did also show good to very good progression and I have no doubt forgotten someone here also.

We do have a shitload of potential elite players here now. I am convinced TT joins Dawson and Rankine as elite. I believe Rachele has the potential to hit this level. Ditto Max. Murray and Soli at this level or just below. Plus Curtin and pick 4.

You need that core 7-8 elite players like we had in 1997 and 1998 - they are the ones standing up in September combined with solid 'backbone' players and a lack of crappy SANFL level players (see Port Power)

Yes it is...BUT...why replace something you already have that is regarded as superior and was shown up in a final how much you miss such a player in your side. Would Houston have changed the end result, no, but he would have helped port stem the tide
If he is going to go, regardless whether its this year or next, wouldn't you prefer to move him this year when you have an opportunity to address one of your biggest weaknesses?

Don't think they'll need to with the likes of Hawkins, Duncan, Rohan, Stanley and Cam Guthrie chances to be all off their books?
This argument always annoys me.
Geelong always claim they are within the cap because their stars willingly take less money - you know because they love the club so much.
Yet when they leave, the argument is that their big pay is off the books, so that's why they can afford new players.

You can't have it both ways.

Meanwhile it also ignores the other players that need pay increases that would fill those positions as well. Guys like Holmes, Dempsey and Humphries will have had or will have significant pay increases.

There is no doubt in my mind at all that Geelong are not legally under the cap.

Well this guy got one right so far, werent we linked to Caleb Daniel at one stage?

Agree with lots of that esp Smith but overall we were the most inexperienced team (or very close to) so not sure we really overdid the older players stuff that much. Murphy clearly isnt up to it but what other choice did we have for this role? Mc H even worse as a 'shaper', Peds as a small forward poor form/injured.

Our draw was rated 6th hardest at the start of the year despite us finishing 10th in 2023 so clearly we were up against that for starters with an inequitable fixture programmed by the AFL. As things turned out it ended up hardest but I also acknowledge it was a tight competition and teams beating us HELPED them finish higher (eg if Pies got us twice this year instead of a finalist they may have become a finalist also).

Not too many young guys regressed did they? Your thoughts? For me:

• Pedlar - most disappointing player IMO with form and fitness (inc PS prep) and then injuries (again) relative to promise shown last year. Needs a huge 2025 and good run with injuries
  • Jones - crap after his best year last year
  • Being pickier...Max didnt perhaps progress as much as I hoped this year but still showing excellent LT promise. Ditto Rachele. Curtin didnt blow us away in his 7 games expecting big step up next year. Murray a little underdone in his return and certainly not at 2023 levels.

Youngsters Soli, Worrell, Keane (esp first part of season), TT in his limited time back looked beast like and elite, and mid age players Fog (mainly second half of year) and Sholl - all career best years. Hinge also as good as last year if not better. Taylor especially and even Dowling were decent. So plenty of players did also show good to very good progression and I have no doubt forgotten someone here also.

We do have a shitload of potential elite players here now. I am convinced TT joins Dawson and Rankine as elite. I believe Rachele has the potential to hit this level. Ditto Max. Murray and Soli at this level or just below. Plus Curtin and pick 4.

You need that core 7-8 elite players like we had in 1997 and 1998 - they are the ones standing up in September combined with solid 'backbone' players and a lack of crappy SANFL level players (see Port Power)
The Jones year I think is explainable (somewhat).
Bottom line is we were all surprised to see him back playing so quickly from his foot injury. In the end I don't think he was properly prepared. It certainly looked like he had lost some of his zip.
Next season will be interesting. Will he be back to his best (which is passable and best 22 IMHO), or has the zip gone for good? It will determine the rest of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon an in principle deal was done months ago.
Makes too much sense with the Cotton On sponsorship. GFC just going about business
getting ready to load up again. They really are a superbly run establishment.
With him and Max Holmes next year expect some very exciting footy.

Well this guy got one right so far, werent we linked to Caleb Daniel at one stage?

I think we've only been linked to Daniel because he's from SA and we've said we wanted to add experience. Bit of 2+2 might be equalling 5 on that one.

Plus if we're moving Laird back permanently it's hard to see where he gets a spot.

That's what I said this year though.

And then we had a bunch of those who should have had the improvement regress, or be injured, and we gave out a bunch of games to underperforming elder players (Smith, I'm looking at you)... and I have no confidence that won't be repeated in 2025.

A lot went wrong this year as we know but I think a lot of the problems started last year

Losing McAdam and Doedee, having no Murray and Schoenberg, and Jones coming off a serious Lisfranc was a much underrated issue to start our season. All of those 5 best 25 last year (we talk about our poor depth this year)
Then lose Thilthorpe pre season - Pedlar and Milera by round 3, Tex’s back at the start of the season

We started well behind. Our list management guys sat still last year and if you sit still you are going backwards in this league.
Hopefully we have learnt from that and bring in 2-3 guys first 18, then get a much healthier list to start the season (appears only Butts will be hampered)
Depth should be much much better

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If he is going to go, regardless whether its this year or next, wouldn't you prefer to move him this year when you have an opportunity to address one of your biggest weaknesses?
IF thats the case then yeah, maximise things. But unless I hear otherwise, I think this is Port telling him to explore his options IF it works for him AND gets port a good draft pick haul.

We are not out of the luko race. He's just waiting on an offer on port to make a decision.

I wouldn't make a decision without having both offers in front of me.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It would be gross negligence on his Managers part to not at least look at the Port offer, even if he wants to come to the Crows. He could maybe then using that offer as leverage to bargain for more.

A lot went wrong this year as we know but I think a lot of the problems started last year

Losing McAdam and Doedee, having no Murray and Schoenberg, and Jones coming off a serious Lisfranc was a much underrated issue to start our season. All of those 5 best 25 last year (we talk about our poor depth this year)
Then lose Thilthorpe pre season - Pedlar and Milera by round 3, Tex’s back at the start of the season

We started well behind. Our list management guys sat still last year and if you sit still you are going backwards in this league.
Hopefully we have learnt from that and bring in 2-3 guys first 18, then get a much healthier list to start the season (appears only Butts will be hampered)
Depth should be much much better

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This is a very reasonable analysis. I hadn't really thought it through like this, but a number of these players were supposed to have been mainstays in our team. Sure it might have just hidden coaching incompetence for another year, but it might have made for a few more wins.

Others non Adelaide dwellers are doing a pretty good job of backing me up .....I'll just sit back and observe
So people who don’t live here commenting on our lack of culture, yeah that makes sense as surely they’d know.

This is a bit like when you asked and then mocked others for their explanation on shape and wouldn’t provide your own. Weak as piss Wayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back