Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 162 81.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Hardwick wants him........

Interesting, first of all, I don't rate him but cheap ruckman / key forwards are hard to find. He is a better backup than Burgess who can't really ruck. He is a known quantity who has had AFL conditioning.

I'd be surprised if he is not on a list somewhere in 2025.

Hopefully forms some ammo in a Lukosius / Rosas deal.

More than happy to see EH go, but we definitely need to draft another back-up ruck this year.
He is an unrestricted free agent, there is no using him as a bargaining chip, he can just walk there if he wants regardless of what we might want

Weird. Himmelberg seems like the exactly sort of player Hardwick wouldn't rate at all
Didn't he play a pretty good game against Richmond at AO a couple of years ago? I remember him kicking a long goal "into the Torrens" according to Dwayne.

Didn't he play a pretty good game against Richmond at AO a couple of years ago? I remember him kicking a long goal "into the Torrens" according to Dwayne.
Yep, the second time he'd kicked more than 2 goals in a game. Never done it since.

Maybe it's like a Brett Turner situation. Plays a blinder against you well above the norm so you suddenly start rating them

As Himmelberg is a free agent. I wonder if we convince Gold Coast to over pay (short contract) generating higher compensation pick which we hand over for Luko?
Didnt the AFL stop this back trading?

Except for Geelong of course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg is perfectly reasonable depth. In fact, among the league's back-up forward/rucks, I'd probably have him in the 50th percentile (at least as a forward). But at this stage he looks like pretty much the only guy on the list who could generate any kind of draft capital for us this year, so I don't think we should stop him from looking around for another club. I began the off-season thinking we should hold on to one of Gollant/Burgess/Himmelberg, but maybe we could get by with just Toby Murray as the depth option.

IF Luko is convinced to come to us, we could work it like this?

GC - (Himmelberg as free agent) + pick 25 + pick 42
Crows - Lukosius + Band 5 compo
We don't get compo if we get Cumming via free agency.
Most likely it would be separate.
GC sign Himmelberg as a free agent, we have to deal for Luko in isolation.

And doesn't make sense for us to give ourselves Himmelberg compensation, as well as giving GC pick 42.

We don't get compo if we get Cumming via free agency.
Most likely it would be separate.
GC sign Himmelberg as a free agent, we have to deal for Luko in isolation.

And doesn't make sense for us to give ourselves Himmelberg compensation, as well as giving GC pick 42.
Good call, I forgot about that

I was thinking band 5 cancels out pick 42 somewhat as it was mentioned we could not trade any compo pick back to the club taking the free agent

Himmelberg is perfectly reasonable depth. In fact, among the league's back-up forward/rucks, I'd probably have him in the 50th percentile (at least as a forward). But at this stage he looks like pretty much the only guy on the list who could generate any kind of draft capital for us this year, so I don't think we should stop him from looking around for another club. I began the off-season thinking we should hold on to one of Gollant/Burgess/Himmelberg, but maybe we could get by with just Toby Murray as the depth option.

Himmelberg is a 27 year old ruck who has been stuck as a near-permanent back-up over his career. He was never going to generate any kind of draft capital at this point.

It's probably best for both parties to move on.

Himmelberg does the odd thing that makes you think he could be a decent player

But not enough and then you realise it's 5 years later and he's still just an occasional tease

Himmelberg does the odd thing that makes you think he could be a decent player

But not enough and then you realise it's 5 years later and he's still just an occasional tease
He is handy depth, if we're being honest he is well above Burgess and Gollant in the pecking order despite his shortcomings. Only makes sense to move him on if we are getting a better squad player or draft capital, potentially this provides neither

He is handy depth, if we're being honest he is well above Burgess and Gollant in the pecking order despite his shortcomings. Only makes sense to move him on if we are getting a better squad player or draft capital, potentially this provides neither

Arguably the best option out of those three is the one who is willing to accept a league minimum contract for another year at the club. After all, Burgess and Himmelberg are about the same, quality wise, seeing they're capable in a pinch, but without any genuine potential to push for a starting position.

Seeing if you took this year, you're getting 1 goal per game and 4.9 hitouts from Burgess and 0.9 goals and 3.8 hitouts from Himmelberg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back