Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 163 81.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

On this, we have and we havent.

We seem to be able to develop to a point (Soligo, Nank, Hinge etc) but we haven't had anyone really take that extra leap in recent times
I agree with this.

Our development seems very good at getting unlikely players up to a B level, but we've struggled to get talents up to an A level.

As well as what you mentioned, the club has really seen the improvement of players like Murray, and even folks who came across from other clubs and improved, like Keays and Rankine.

But players who we've targeted to be top level, like Jones? I feel we've held them back. That's one of my worries with Curtin ...

I agree with this.

Our development seems very good at getting unlikely players up to a B level, but we've struggled to get talents up to an A level.

As well as what you mentioned, the club has really seen the improvement of players like Murray, and even folks who came across from other clubs and improved, like Keays and Rankine.

But players who we've targeted to be top level, like Jones? I feel we've held them back. That's one of my worries with Curtin ...
Curtin will be fine, the kid showed enough this year off a limited pre season.

My hope is that he fulfills that talent with us.

I recall Tyson talking about his own experience and that Blight essentially gave him 4 years to prove himself (apprenticeship)

He seemed particularly peeved at how quickly his young fella was spat out of the system. I doubt another couple f years would've mattered

Communication between club (coaches) and particularly younger players seems to be an ongoing problem though. Unless as younger player you're very high draft pick or display some exceptional talent, yet even then it seems it falls short at times

I have no idea what the Jarmen's expected? Ben had talent, but ffs a lot folk have garden Gnomes bigger than him
I have a couple of concrete gnomes in my garden that are quicker than Ben too

Tom Morris talked about the crows on SEN this morning.

• Already been discussed but help for Nicks in director of coaching. Mentioned it is hard to fill this type of role. Bucks thoughts on this were interesting.
  • Talk of Silvers enacting change in football department and wouldn't be surprised if there is more change
  • Post season debreif which is standard - mentioned younger players wanting to drive higher standards. He mentioned Thilthorpe, Rachele & Fog. Mentioned that Dawson went through his time at swans and what they did
  • He said Cumming has his fiances family in Adelaide and his brother also. Either us, Port or stays.
I'm sure I missed a few things. Worth a listen

• Already been discussed but help for Nicks in director of coaching. Mentioned it is hard to fill this type of role. Bucks thoughts on this were interesting.
  • Talk of Silvers enacting change in football department and wouldn't be surprised if there is more change
  • Post season debreif which is standard - mentioned younger players wanting to drive higher standards. He mentioned Thilthorpe, Rachele & Fog. Mentioned that Dawson went through his time at swans and what they did
  • He said Cumming has his fiances family in Adelaide and his brother also. Either us, Port or stays.
I might be alone but I like Silvers. Coming from Hawthorn he must be stunned by the lack of drive from those around him.

I like that the younger players want to drive standards, but that was said earlier this year too and it didnt happen.

Isaac isnt going to Port, itll be us or he stays and given the family connection I would doubt he stays.

I watched Tex Wanganeen over PS coming back from a major injury ....you've never seen a more plumpy AFL player, so no secret he was delisted

The point is ....if you're small you have to be fast or run continuously

The best judgement on players like the Edwards and Jarman boys is, did any other club pick them up .....and are they now playing high level SANFL, with a view to get back on an AFL list
Jackson is playing VFL for Southport and going OK at that level... that's his level unfortunately.

Jackson is playing VFL for Southport and going OK at that level... that's his level unfortunately.
Interesting with the Edwards family .....Dwayne Edwards was easily the most talented of the 4 brothers, but only Tyson had an inkling of pace

I agree.

FFS It will be the Gibbs 2.0 fiasco all over again.

We have the leverage, Luko is excess to their needs and unwanted, not to mention the salary cap relief they get from taking him off their books. His contract is heavily backended.

Ironically its Bowes 2.0 again for them.

I wonder which Club will f**k it up. Im betting we do and pay overs for Luko.

Luko won't select us unless we are prepare to pay what the Suns want. Our issue is that we're desperate for him whereas we should be saying that we'll take him only if the trade cost is x. If Suns aren't releasing him for a second rounder, then we're not the club for him. Same with ANB, we'll take you, but all we're offering is a 3rd rounder, if that changes your mind, no worries, we'll see you when we play Port.

I'm glad he didn't sit on the fence.
Im not sure he said that but happy to be corrected.
I didn’t hear the word Port, I heard the bit about partners family and said he either stays or comes to Adelaide.
That can be read both ways but as I said happily corrected .

edit : just had a re listen and didn’t say Port or Adelaide re Cumming, said South Australia so yes on the fence.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where can I listen back to this specific clip?

I might be alone but I like Silvers. Coming from Hawthorn he must be stunned by the lack of drive from those around him.

I like that the younger players want to drive standards, but that was said earlier this year too and it didnt happen.

Isaac isnt going to Port, itll be us or he stays and given the family connection I would doubt he stays.

We have to get this guy in , he would be a great acquisition.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Director of Coaching role would of been more appealing when Nicks started.

I still think getting a new Head of Football should of been the priority. A few more candidates around for that and not dependent on Nicks as a Coach. They will probably appoint the next coach.

Good to hear about the standards. I think any senior player that hasn't been able to get us to a final series in seven years and played consistently should of been moved on.

The Director of Coaching role would of been more appealing when Nicks started.

I still think getting a new Head of Football should of been the priority. A few more candidates around for that and not dependent on Nicks as a Coach. They will probably appoint the next coach.

Good to hear about the standards. I think any senior player that hasn't been able to get us to a final series in seven years and played consistently should of been moved on.
The first part is 100% and probably why we went after Balmey.

Might be wrong but the Director of Coaching to me signifies that certain people within the club see the error they made recontracting Nicks and are preparing for the next man.

The first part is 100% and probably why we went after Balmey.

Might be wrong but the Director of Coaching to me signifies that certain people within the club see the error they made recontracting Nicks and are preparing for the next man.
Can we poach Longmire maybe? - give him all of West Lakes and Henley Beach to entice him, but we need someone with a gold star proven track record

Can we poach Longmire maybe? - give him all of West Lakes and Henley Beach to entice him, but we need someone with a gold star proven track record
Does the rights to the Sydney Academy players current and future come with him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back