Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 163 81.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They can both be the problem, but IMO our list, whilst not being in the top 5-6 in the comp, is better than its showing currently.
So how does this POV sit with those wanting Hamish and Reid sacked ....I mean getting Curtin, Nankervis, Taylor, Rankine, Dawson, Keays, Soligo, Murray, and Thilthorpe ect .....I mean, that's got to be sackable for picking that lot :moustache:

So how does this POV sit with those wanting Hamish and Reid sacked ....I mean getting Curtin, Nankervis, Taylor, Rankine, Dawson, Keays, Soligo, Murray, and Thilthorpe ect .....I mean, that's got to be sackable for picking that lot :moustache:
Weve had almost as many misses though.

I think our drafting has improved post COVID FWIW

McHenry, Macasey? Jones and Pedlar to a lesser extent. Galluci if we are turning back time.

We keep missing with our first rounders.

Anyway, none of that matters, the results speak for themselves. 7 years no finals. The ladder is the only real metric.

No question our drafting has improved. But also we are definitely an average list still because of drafting and list management

We lost our 3 best young players back in 2017/18 which should be core players for us now

And 2018 - Port have a captain and vice captain, playing off to get in a GF - both AA from that draft

We are delisting one of our first rounders and every chance to delist the other next year from that draft

And don’t get me started on 2019 (or 2017)

Those 3 drafts are primarily response for the state we are in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We have a great record of trading and bringing in FA’s, that’s certainly not in dispute. The problem is that in your entire list, you only have Curtin who can’t be rated yet, and Tillthorpe who was pick 1, from the top 20 of any draft in the last 10 years.

In the last 6 games we had Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Schoenberg, Curtin, Pedlar and Cook all playing in the 2’s. Add Gallucci and McAsey and you have nearly the entire list of our top 20ish draft picks for a decade..

Hamish simply has to go, Reid you would need to know what input he had on that list.

We have a great record of trading and bringing in FA’s, that’s certainly not in dispute. The problem is that in your entire list, you only have Curtin who can’t be rated yet, and Tillthorpe who was pick 1, from the top 20 of any draft in the last 10 years.

In the last 6 games we had Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Schoenberg, Curtin, Pedlar and Cook all playing in the 2’s. Add Gallucci and McAsey and you have nearly the entire list of our top 20ish draft picks for a decade..

Hamish simply has to go, Reid you would need to know what input he had on that list.
Then theres the question of how much is developement, how much is drafting. Ridiculous you say "Curtin cant be rated yet" then in the next sentence put him in an argument to try and make a point.

Posted in the other thread on Cumming, but Edmund expanded further on SEN this morning and expects it’ll be the Crows he comes to given the very close relationship with Tex and us being into him for far longer than Port. Jay Clark said the same thing a week ago.

Port’s major interest is with Perryman, hence their last minute offer for Cumming. I don’t think there’s any need to overthink this, Perryman to Port and Cumming to Crows looks the 95% likely outcome.
If we have genuinely been into him for over 2 years, you'd think that would have to carry a fair bit of weight in terms of his decision making (in terms of knowing how highy your valued and knowing you align with the teams needs and wants).

Coupled with the Tex factor and the fact that we should be able to blow the Pear out of the water with a contract offer, it would be a major indictment on where we are at as a club if ihe still chooses Port.

I reckon this has this has the potential more than any other trade in recent memory to put the bunsen burner under the club in terms of driving some significant rethink around where we are at, if we don't end up landing him.

Last edited:

I'm not exactly sure the point you are making, I think you're saying we don't have any players who are top 20 in their draft? Rachele and Soligo are both top 20 in their draft.

Also on drafting, clearly attached to the coach and birdbrain and Pyke have ****ed us massively, it still shows

If you had to make an ordered list of midfielders we should prioritise getting midfield minutes into, where does Kennedy currently sit?

1. Dawson
2. Izak
3. Soligo
4. Crouch
5. Pick 4
6. Berry
7. Taylor
8. Pedlar
9. Dowling
10. Edwards
11. Curtin
12. Laird
13. Schoenberg

You're better off putting them in types - Kennedy is better than many of those, but couldn't do the same role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH if we do go after players like ANB or Kennedy (rightly or wrongly) I'd not be against trying to find a player for player trade that suits the other club.

Chayce Jones could be of interest as a dashing HBFer. Or Brayden Cook as a Wing/HFF.

Both players I like, but still don't see as a lock. So maybe a new scene could be good for them

Then theres the question of how much is developement, how much is drafting. Ridiculous you say "Curtin cant be rated yet" then in the next sentence put him in an argument to try and make a point.
Not at all, no one can say wether Curtin will be a star or a bust after 1 year, however we can say that everyone else taken in the top 10 last year played nearly the whole year of senior footy.

However even if we discount him, and you’ll notice I didn’t include Edwards btw, you would have to admit having 8 top draft picks playing seconds or delisted is an indictment on Hamish.

Even the couple who are regulars in the side, like Rachelle, Fog and Tillthorpe, haven’t lived up to their draft ranking yet.

Not at all, no one can say wether Curtin will be a star or a bust after 1 year, however we can say that everyone else taken in the top 10 last year played nearly the whole year of senior footy.

However even if we discount him, and you’ll notice I didn’t include Edwards btw, you would have to admit having 8 top draft picks playing seconds or delisted is an indictment on Hamish.

Even the couple who are regulars in the side, like Rachelle, Fog and Tillthorpe, haven’t lived up to their draft ranking yet.
I think he's had his bad drafts for sure, but like I said since COVID weve absolutely improved our strategy.

Just on the playing SANFL thing, that does have a lot to do with selection philosophies, and playing players out of position in the seniors then dropping them.

Those 3 you mention have all played high quality AFL games, infact I think they all kicked 5 on debut (might be wrong). I still think our coaching and development is well in the bottom half of the comp by and large, so that would accentuate any poor draft choices.

I'm not exactly sure the point you are making, I think you're saying we don't have any players who are top 20 in their draft? Rachele and Soligo are both top 20 in their draft.

Also on drafting, clearly attached to the coach and birdbrain and Pyke have ****ed us massively, it still shows
I was replying to a poster that was saying that our list is not too bad and therefore Hamish and a Reid must be doing something right. I was pointing out that nearly all of our talent has come from trading, DFA’s or later draft picks, and that Hamish’s primary role, which is to nail top end draft picks, has been a shambles.

I was replying to a poster that was saying that our list is not too bad and therefore Hamish and a Reid must be doing something right. I was pointing out that nearly all of our talent has come from trading, DFA’s or later draft picks, and that Hamish’s primary role, which is to nail top end draft picks, has been a shambles.
Our list is a top 8 list, you dont play well against the better sides like we seem to without having talent. Not enough sure, but more than enough to be comfortably ahead of where we are.

Our coaching is the largest impediment to success, which gets shown up against bottom sides and in close games.

Our list is a top 8 list, you dont play well against the better sides like we seem to without having talent. Not enough sure, but more than enough to be comfortably ahead of where we are.

Our coaching is the largest impediment to success, which gets shown up against bottom sides and in close games.
We do well against better sides because there are no expectations on us to win. So we perform better without that weight and opposition teams take the foot off

Spot on. totally agree with this

We do well against better sides because there are no expectations on us to win. So we perform better without that weight and opposition teams take the foot off
Theres absolutely that element, but you still have to have talent to do it.

As I said, we dont have enough of it but its not as bad as some here would have you believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back