Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 163 81.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not at all, no one can say wether Curtin will be a star or a bust after 1 year, however we can say that everyone else taken in the top 10 last year played nearly the whole year of senior footy.

However even if we discount him, and you’ll notice I didn’t include Edwards btw, you would have to admit having 8 top draft picks playing seconds or delisted is an indictment on Hamish.

Even the couple who are regulars in the side, like Rachelle, Fog and Tillthorpe, haven’t lived up to their draft ranking yet.
Rachelle has more than justified where he was placed. Thilthorpe the same. Fog has taken a while but had a very strong year this year

I think he's had his bad drafts for sure, but like I said since COVID weve absolutely improved our strategy.

Just on the playing SANFL thing, that does have a lot to do with selection philosophies, and playing players out of position in the seniors then dropping them.

Those 3 you mention have all played high quality AFL games, infact I think they all kicked 5 on debut (might be wrong). I still think our coaching and development is well in the bottom half of the comp by and large, so that would accentuate any poor draft choices.
I agree that all 3 show great signs, and I really hope Edwards comes on as well, but that is yet to be proved. Tillthorpe doesn’t read the ball well in the air which leads to him only averaging 1.5 contested marks a game at this point, Rachelle doesn’t look like he will ever play midfield, and Fog only averages 1.5 goals a games despite looking brilliant at times. Certainly not highlights in a recruiters resume yet.

However choosing Jones ahead of Butters (which still gives me nightmares) and McKasey ahead of Young, Serong or Day and Gallucci ahead of… well anyone, is a some seriously bad talent evaluation.

Rachelle has more than justified where he was placed. Thilthorpe the same. Fog has taken a while but had a very strong year this year

Hamish's strike rate between pick 15 and about 40 is dreadful

Gallucci
McPherson
McHenry
Hamill
Schoenberg
Worrell
Cook
Berry
Rowe
Soligo

Haven't counted the blokes from last draft.

10 picks in that range, 2 best 22 players and a couple of fringe types. Four picks between 15 and 25 and zero are in our side

I agree that all 3 show great signs, and I really hope Edwards comes on as well, but that is yet to be proved. Tillthorpe doesn’t read the ball well in the air which leads to him only averaging 1.5 contested marks a game at this point, Rachelle doesn’t look like he will ever play midfield, and Fog only averages 1.5 goals a games despite looking brilliant at times. Certainly not highlights in a recruiters resume yet.

However choosing Jones ahead of Butters (which still gives me nightmares) and McKasey ahead of Young, Serong or Day and Gallucci ahead of… well anyone, is a some seriously bad talent evaluation.
Absolutely agree on the last paragraph.

Even if he wanted Luko, and he did; there were better choices.

But we've still after all that, got a list who should have played finals.

Gallucci
McPherson
McHenry
Hamill
Schoenberg
Worrell
Cook
Berry
Rowe
Soligo

10 picks in that range, 2 best 22 players and a couple of fringe types. Four picks between 15 and 25 and zero are in our side
Hamill should be in the side IMO, and Moose probably would be if he wasn't made of jelly. He was a risky pick.

We have a great record of trading and bringing in FA’s, that’s certainly not in dispute. The problem is that in your entire list, you only have Curtin who can’t be rated yet, and Tillthorpe who was pick 1, from the top 20 of any draft in the last 10 years.

In the last 6 games we had Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Schoenberg, Curtin, Pedlar and Cook all playing in the 2’s. Add Gallucci and McAsey and you have nearly the entire list of our top 20ish draft picks for a decade..

Hamish simply has to go, Reid you would need to know what input he had on that list.
That's not a fair indication though .....Curtin in his 1st year, Pedlar just one of those hellish years, which still doesn't dent his undoubted talent .....and Cook, you have to say, is on an upward trajectory

The point is, there's not a Club that doesn't have misses .....you just don't study their lists as hard as your own

There are some pretty average Top 10 picks running around in the AFL ....

TBH if we do go after players like ANB or Kennedy (rightly or wrongly) I'd not be against trying to find a player for player trade that suits the other club.

Chayce Jones could be of interest as a dashing HBFer. Or Brayden Cook as a Wing/HFF.

Both players I like, but still don't see as a lock. So maybe a new scene could be good for them
Its almost a must due to the list spot squeeze

Gallucci
McPherson
McHenry
Hamill
Schoenberg
Worrell
Cook
Berry
Rowe
Soligo

Max was pick 17 as well.

To me drafting has improved since 2021, it isn't only on Hamish although a large % is. Probably too early to say if the picks workout though.

Since and including 2020 we have drafted :
Thilthorpe - Best 22 with star potential
Pedlar - jury is out / best 22 potential
Cook - Looks a miss to me
Berry - fringe player
Rowe- Yuck
Rachelle - Best 22
Soligo - Best 22
Taylor - Jury is out
Max- Best 22
Dowling - Jury out
Bond - Fringe / best 22 potential

4 best 22 players out of 11. 1 waste (pick 38 only though)

Our current predicament is due to poor drafting and retention from 2016 - 2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pedlar has basically only played in the fwd line.

Whereas Kennedy plays much more in the midfield.

Pedlar can't get on the field. He needs a bigger tank.
Contracts ends at end of 2026. Needs a big couple years to get extended. We have so many young mids coming through and he won't cut it as solely a half forward IMO

I’d be ok trading F1 for Luko and GC F2.

Then package Melbournes second and GCs F2 for a late first rounder this year. Take Draper and Dodson in the draft.

Would mean only sending a third rounder to Melbourne for ANB, though.

That's the way it gets done but it all comes down to where we think we will finish next year. The List Manager can't afford to be over positive and expect improvement like supporters can.

If we finish say 12th or above then we come out alright but would be embarrassing if it ends up being a top 4 pick for Luko and a f2.

I have the same feelings about this as I did with Dawson. Want him at the club so so bad and will be devastated if he picks the scum
Worth listening to SEN chat with Sam Edmund. Both offering 4 year deals but Crows have been interested for a long time, power more recently. Amazing athlete when fit.

Power offered 7 years to Perryman - extraordinary (risk and overs)

Got some intel from one of my customers, pretty reliable.

Rosas has agreed to come to us

Luko 2 years ago said to Rozee and their manager (same person) if he ever came back to SA it would be Port.

Luke Parker has agreed to go to North

And knows Nicks through a Toyota yard - said he’s a great bloke but one of the most stubborn people he’s ever met

Luko 2 years ago said to Rozee and their manager (same person) if he ever came back to SA it would be Port.

And knows Nicks through a Toyota yard - said he’s a great bloke but always one of the most stubborn people he’s ever met

We need some speed and I can’t imagine him costing much at all.

Yep and if they dont get that then Luko stays and plays VFL
Would be amazed if Luko is still there next year. You don’t do what Suns have done if you value a player and their words of “happy to keep him” are hollow.

99% chance Luko playing elsewhere next year IMO with SA teams seemingly most likely. Comes down to draft picks but Suns. They cant be holding out for a good first rounder here. It’s pick 18-30 that will get him

Last edited:

And knows Nicks through a Toyota yard - said he’s a great bloke but one of the most stubborn people he’s ever met
Would not mind Rosas at all, but find it hard to believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back