Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 164 82.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Our record against sides that finished between 9 and 14

2-5
And that's been our problem throughout Nicks' tenure.

We lose to mediocre teams such as Freo, Gold Coast and Essendon on an all too regular basis.

Bloke called Blight had a fair say in that
Our fitness was head and shoulders above the other teams that year thanks to Craig's extra training and tapering leading into the finals - something most teams do these days. But at the time, it was innovative and provided a competitive advantage.

They had seven games against the bottom four sides, which they won with ease.

The easiest draw by an absolute mile.
Momentum counts for something and once they got on a roll they were hard to stop. With the opposite draw next season I doubt they make finals. There team is also older and more experienced than people realise. They also had a decent injury run

Our fitness was head and shoulders above the other teams that year thanks to Craig's extra training and tapering leading into the finals - something most teams do these days. But at the time, it was innovative and provided a competitive advantage.
DJ has told me personally that he's never been fitter than he was under Craig's fitness regime and gives him a fair chunk of credit for our flags. People can bag him for his coaching, but he was elite level sports scientist.

Pretty thin field
McQualter and Skipworth? Wow

Steven King is a certainty

Why wouldn’t West Coast just get Buckley….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Because Buckley, like Hodge, have a far better lifestyle & income in the media .....Hodge was supposed to be a Coach in waiting ...well, we're still waiting

I suspect partners also have a part to play ....better home life in the media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Momentum counts for something and once they got on a roll they were hard to stop. With the opposite draw next season I doubt they make finals. There team is also older and more experienced than people realise. They also had a decent injury run

Their backline is extremely experienced and has been very settled - and gets a boost next year.
It will be interesting if they can back up after the tear they got on.

Last edited:
Goodwin I think would be terrible for this group
McQualter - Richmond didn’t rate him enough to give him the job

Skipworth - unsure , has some positive history with the Pies but hardly a name that is going to bring a huge amount of excitement to this board

Rutten - I think would be favourite. In hindsight his time at Essendon appears underrated. Still far from the ideal candidate imo

I did leave off Montgomery who would be some chance if he was already here

This field is assuming he was sacked between now and the bye next year

So for those wanting Nicks sacked ....who's your choice of these ?

I'm sure West Coast have done their due diligence on the best available coaches .....it's a difficult situation, as they have to hold Harley Reid, and a good Coach will be critical to holding him ....as they always are

Here’s your chance to shine. What do you despise about the pear and their fans? No backing away now :)
Youre basically calling him out as a Port supporter with an alias account. Youre right :thumbsu:

There is a few on here that joined around the time of the last showdown.

Interesting that they never have a negative point to make about Port or their hatred of them.:think:

I’m sure if he’s trade-able we will be offering a huge deal like we did with Gulden
I've been a huge Callaghan fan since his draft year. One player in the league I would want the Crows to move heaven and earth to get.
Huge potential.

But he's a Sandingham Dragon so not surprised Saints are keen.

Yes mate agreed. In my “strongly worded letter” to Silvers, Nicks, Kelly, Reidmetc I used those exact words of things “aren’t always linear” and no doubt coincidentally Nicks started saying the same thing in his pressers within days.

We had the HARDEST draw of ANY team EVER this year. Double ups against all 4 prelims now and initially it was double ups against 1,2,3,5,7 and 11. Almost impossible to get harder than this as we “averaged” playing the 4-5th team for all double up games (add 6 numbers above and divide by 6). The absolute hardest would in theory be be 3-4th (1,2,3,4,5,6) . The draw makes a huge difference and we will get an easy one next year finishing bottom 6 and after receiving the hardest draw 2 years in a row.

Injuries also hurt esp the key players you mentioned inc bookends and our best player Rankine. A normalisation next year AND bringing in 2-3 first team players that are good players or above (not marginal 15-20th best in he team) AND organic growth means we make finals. I will put money on it
Nicks actually referred to non-linear growth in 2023 ....as has been stated, you can't lose key players down your spine, your best running HB, and your best player for 7 matches ....and still duke it out with 4 x first year rookies & another group with less than 30 games experience

It's naive to believe otherwise

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back