Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No.

He doesn't have match conditioning, and it showed against Southport.

Lose a player early and he'll blow up imo.
Yeah.

From that game, I think Knevitt or even Parfitt would be better choices. Brandan did make some poor decisions with the ball when he had time to think about it, but his hands were clean in close.

Yeah.

From that game, I think Knevitt or even Parfitt would be better choices. Brandan did make some poor decisions with the ball when he had time to think about it, but his hands were clean in close.

I'd take Knevitt before Parfitt.

Parfitt had moments where he was just too slow of mind and hesitant in action....there was one lay down misere goal that he butchered through indecision and the confusion that caused.

That said, it'd be a very bold move to play Knevitt. He had a very good game, but he's struggled with the transition to seniors so far and whilst I believe he'll make it I very much doubt the MC will see a final as the time and place to give him his next shot.

Knevitt is not impactful enough to suddenly emerge in a hotly contested final and make an impact. He's slow and does not possess the foot skills which can hurt you (at this stage of his career).
He has played three games this season and managed 9 touches, 3 tackles, 0.6 goals.

We would be no better off making Parfitt the sub if that was the case.

I think people massively overstate how much work Guthrie needs.

He came in to a hot game against Carlton earlier in the year with no VFL games. He finished with 27 touches and did very well off half back with a few runs through midfield. He played 79% game time that day.

This time he'll be coming in off a full VFL game and multiple weeks of full-time training. We're not rushing him in any way.

If his body holds up to the training and VFL game (which is a big if) then I can't see him being left out. I think the only question will be whether he has 2 full games in him or we play him as sub in the prelim.

He came in to a hot game against Carlton earlier in the year with no VFL games. He finished with 27 touches and did very well off half back with a few runs through midfield. He played 79% game time that day.

This time he'll be coming in off a full VFL game and multiple weeks of full-time training. We're not rushing him in any way.

If his body holds up to the training and VFL game (which is a big if) then I can't see him being left out. I think the only question will be whether he has 2 full games in him or we play him as sub in the prelim.
I think he could be a very handy sub and offers a good level of flexibility for the role.

I don't think anyone's overstating concerns in regards to Guthrie

Yes he had a solid return against Carlton, but we also need to remember that timeframe of his quad injury in the pre-season match to return was 66 days which was nearly 40% less time on the sidelines than he just had with the Achilles injury and the 115 days between matches

And following the Carlton clash, he had a significant drop off in his next 3 matches in terms of impact and TOG which went full 79% (after Dangerfield was subbed off early in the second half) to 61%, 59% and then subbed off after online 39% against GC

1725862191319.png

His class was on show on Saturday, but so was his lack of match fitness and that's not something easily found on the training track - he got caught out multiple times having to chase an opponent when he simply couldn't find that next year & was blowing up after the chase, and he also looked very one pace where he didn't seem to be able to lift as the game tempo lifted

He looked a good 2 or 3 VFL games of just getting that run & match conditioning into his legs away from selection

When we've got players in the seniors who've barely put a foot wrong and are getting the job done, it seems an unnecessary risk to bring in an underdone player, who to be honest wasn't in their best form prior to injury. It's a similar situation to the Neale/Hawkins discussion - do we trust the players who've been getting it done, or revert to the past in hoping the player can turn back time?

Yes he had a solid return against Carlton, but we also need to remember that timeframe of his quad injury in the pre-season match to return was 66 days which was nearly 40% less time on the sidelines than he just had with the Achilles injury and the 115 days between matches

And following the Carlton clash, he had a significant drop off in his next 3 matches in terms of impact and TOG which went full 79% (after Dangerfield was subbed off early in the second half) to 61%, 59% and then subbed off after online 39% against GC

View attachment 2105876

His class was on show on Saturday, but so was his lack of match fitness and that's not something easily found on the training track - he got caught out multiple times having to chase an opponent when he simply couldn't find that next year & was blowing up after the chase, and he also looked very one pace where he didn't seem to be able to lift as the game tempo lifted

He looked a good 2 or 3 VFL games of just getting that run & match conditioning into his legs away from selection

When we've got players in the seniors who've barely put a foot wrong and are getting the job done, it seems an unnecessary risk to bring in an underdone player, who to be honest wasn't in their best form prior to injury. It's a similar situation to the Neale/Hawkins discussion - do we trust the players who've been getting it done, or revert to the past in hoping the player can turn back time?

I'm praying we've learned this lesson.

View attachment 2105876

His Achilles issues were significant so it's hard to read much into those games. I still think he was far from our worst and even at that level would probably give us an improvement on Bews, Tuohy and Mullin. It's not like Tuohy and Bews are at their physical peak any more either.

If his Achilles doesn't come up he won't play. But if it does it would be wild to pick one of those 3 ahead of a recent 2x B&F winner who is ready to go.

I'm praying we've learned this lesson.

IF we weren't willing to risk Holmes in the 2022 grand final after he reportedly passed a fitness test and opted to take the conservative approach, I don't see us changing that approach now

IF we're suddenly down a few options to run through the midfield or provide drive from the backline, then I can see him being in the selection frame - but that's getting to break glass option

I know teams get desperate with selection options come finals, but surely this is also the time that the team comes ahead of the individual. We just won an interstate final by 84 points, and while Stewart would seem a near certainty to return, I don't see us making any unnecessary changes to the playing 23 - how about we reward that effort because I'm not sure any of those 23 really deserve to be omitted

His Achilles issues were significant so it's hard to read much into those games. I still think he was far from our worst and even at that level would probably give us an improvement on Bews, Tuohy and Mullin. It's not like Tuohy and Bews are at their physical peak any more either.

If his Achilles doesn't come up he won't play. But if it does it would be wild to pick one of those 3 ahead of a recent 2x B&F winner who is ready to go.

It's hard to rate Tuohy's game from Thursday night as he game on late when the game was over, but right now I'd trust him to play 4 quarters of seniors more than I would Guthrie

And in terms of Bews & Mullin from Thursday night compared with Guthrie on Saturday, Guthrie wouldn't have been close to playing the role we saw from those guys and likely gets shown up defensively - the former two would have been selected to play specific roles and ones we haven't seen Guthrie playing for a good few years

Guthrie is 32 & has played a total of 8 full AFL games across the last 2 seasons, and by the time we get to our next match it'll be over 4 months since his last senior match with a so-so return in the VFL - it would be a big ask to expect him or anyone in that situation to come in and have an impact in a final

IF we weren't willing to risk Holmes in the 2022 grand final after he reportedly passed a fitness test and opted to take the conservative approach, I don't see us changing that approach now

IF we're suddenly down a few options to run through the midfield or provide drive from the backline, then I can see him being in the selection frame - but that's getting to break glass option

I know teams get desperate with selection options come finals, but surely this is also the time that the team comes ahead of the individual. We just won an interstate final by 84 points, and while Stewart would seem a near certainty to return, I don't see us making any unnecessary changes to the playing 23 - how about we reward that effort because I'm not sure any of those 23 really deserve to be omitted

Parfitt was coming off multiple games receiving coaches votes in the last month of the season and O'Connor had been a walk up start for years as well as having a good game as sub in the QF. Both were in their prime and unbelievably stiff to miss selection. Holmes was a second year player with a real chance that his hamstring wasn't right.

Mullin did a job for us last week but is very inexperienced and has mostly been out of the team. Tuohy's body is just holding on and he's been managed numerous times this year. Bews has barely played AFL at all this year. Guthrie is a top 5 player in our team when fit and he'll have been in full training for probably a month plus had a full VFL game.

These situations are not comparable.

Rohan's season not necessarily over...

GMHBA Health Update - Gary Rohan

Geelong forward Gary Rohan will undergo surgery on Monday after sustaining a fractured skull in Saturday's VFL match at GMHBA Stadium.

Rohan sustained the injury after an errant elbow in the first quarter and missed the remainder of the game. He was sent to hospital for further assessment post-game for a suspected fracture and progressive concussion symptoms.

Assistant General Manager – Football Brett Johnson said:

“Gary will have surgery today and will be unavailable for our AFL Preliminary Final, we will provide the support required to Gary and his family as he recovers."

Parfitt was coming off multiple games receiving coaches votes in the last month of the season and O'Connor had been a walk up start for years as well as having a good game as sub in the QF. Both were in their prime and unbelievably stiff to miss selection. Holmes was a second year player with a real chance that his hamstring wasn't right.

Mullin did a job for us last week but is very inexperienced and has mostly been out of the team. Tuohy's body is just holding on and he's been managed numerous times this year. Bews has barely played AFL at all this year. Guthrie is a top 5 player in our team when fit and he'll have been in full training for probably a month plus had a full VFL game.

These situations are not comparable.

There's a significant difference between being fit on the training track and being game fit/battle hardened.

Guthrie isn't game fit.

He laboured in the VFL last weekend, and a week's training or match sim isn't going to change that for a shot next week.

He's been out too long unfortunately.

We play him as sub and lose a player in the first few minutes we'll be two men down because he won't run the game out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a significant difference between being fit on the training track and being game fit/battle hardened.

Guthrie isn't game fit.

He laboured in the VFL last weekend, and a week's training or match sim isn't going to change that for a shot next week.

He's been out too long unfortunately.

We play him as sub and lose a player in the first few minutes we'll be two men down because he won't run the game out.

It's two weeks training/match sim isn't it? And then the Grand Final is two weeks after that. I still think he's an underdog to play and I don't disagree with the sentiment but a hard two weeks on the track could see a pretty significant jump in fitness and it's pretty rare that a sub plays more than 50% of the game. The upside of a player of Guthrie's class is pretty high but it really depends on how much progress he makes. He obviously wasn't quite there last weekend.

It's two weeks training/match sim isn't it? And then the Grand Final is two weeks after that. I still think he's an underdog to play and I don't disagree with the sentiment but a hard two weeks on the track could see a pretty significant jump in fitness and it's pretty rare that a sub plays more than 50% of the game. The upside of a player of Guthrie's class is pretty high but it really depends on how much progress he makes. He obviously wasn't quite there last weekend.

Sorry - I meant he only has training this week, and / or match sim, to try and press his case for the next final.

That's not enough. I don't see him making enough progress to be considered.

He was gassed just 2 days ago.

Was he? Why was he dominating in the third quarter during our comeback then? He played a full game, improved as the game went on and looked miles above the level.

And he's got 2 full weeks of training still.

We saw it differently.

Training isn't equivalent to game time.

Was he? Why was he dominating in the third quarter during our comeback then? He played a full game, improved as the game went on and looked miles above the level.

And he's got 2 full weeks of training still.

Yes

He took himself to the bench halfway through the third quarter when he was blowing up after trying to chase an opponent along the wing - something he had to do a few times during the match

Could tell he was struggling with the pace of the game

Mark O’Connor has been ruled out for the remainder of the season with a wrist injury.

O’Connor underwent surgery on Monday to repair ligament damage in his right wrist, with the midfielder expected to be in full training in time for the 2025 pre-season.

Yes

He took himself to the bench halfway through the third quarter when he was blowing up after trying to chase an opponent along the wing - something he had to do a few times during the match

Could tell he was struggling with the pace of the game

I still think off the pace two days ago doesn't mean off the pace in two weeks time. And you really don't have any idea of what his training load was leading up into the game. He could have been smashing himself and entering the game with pretty heavy legs, or still ramping things up with only a few days on the track prior.

Progress isn't linear either, it's almost logarithmic with an athlete able to regain 50% of pre-injury fitness losses in the first two weeks and then taking anywhere between 2-12 to go from 50% to 100%. It's hard to judge from afar, I'd definitely require him to hit a certain level of fitness before consideration but I wouldn't put a line through him completely just yet. He is an All Australian and 2022 B&F winner.

I still think off the pace two days ago doesn't mean off the pace in two weeks time. And you really don't have any idea of what his training load was leading up into the game. He could have been smashing himself and entering the game with pretty heavy legs, or still ramping things up with only a few days on the track prior.

Progress isn't linear either, it's almost logarithmic with an athlete able to regain 50% of pre-injury fitness losses in the first two weeks and then taking anywhere between 2-12 to go from 50% to 100%. It's hard to judge from afar, I'd definitely require him to hit a certain level of fitness before consideration but I wouldn't put a line through him completely just yet. He is an All Australian and 2022 B&F winner.
I'll spew if he's picked he looked miles off.

I'll spew if he's picked he looked miles off.
Guth would’ve needed not one but two games of Knevitt level domination to be a chance. The Cats being knocked out and Cam having a pedestrian 19 disposal, 3 score involvement, poor “without the ball” display at that level is nowhere near good enough after the year he’s had.

Guth would’ve needed not one but two games of Knevitt level domination to be a chance. The Cats being knocked out and Cam having a pedestrian 19 disposal, 3 score involvement, poor “without the ball” display at that level is nowhere near good enough after the year he’s had.

It was never about Cam's numbers on the weekend. It was ensuring he was able to run out the game in a fairly contested match and he did that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back