Review Good, bad, the gallant shat loss - R4 vs Melbourne 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Set shot free kicks don't mean they were incorrectly paid.

Apart from the soft Keane one, all of them were clumsy.

Melbourne defenders are far better drilled, experienced, disciplined and most importantly ABOUT 3% OF OUR FORWARD 50 ENTRIES PUT OUR FORWARDS IN POSITIONS WHERE THEY COULD EVEN TRY AND EARN A CHEAP FREE KICK

Using umpires as an out for any of our losses this year, even as the most minor of reasons, is about as single-brain celled, crayon muncher as you can get.
Being there I definitely felt like the got the ones where it mattered however we were even close to deserving the win.
Looking at the umpires as a reason, is Nicks like, shifting blame.

Whose rd 2 pick did we keep, ours or Dee’s? Could be a 15 pick swing and huge points differential for welsh

(I think it unfortunately is theirs we still have)

Please remove if my post is not welcome but seriously you guys are frustrating to watch this year. Really enjoyed the way you played in 2023.

What is it with your side and only turning up to play in the last quarter for an 'almost' comeback this year?
The 4th quarter thing has been a hallmark of this head coach

It got old long before this season

Set shot free kicks don't mean they were incorrectly paid.

Apart from the soft Keane one, all of them were clumsy.

Melbourne defenders are far better drilled, experienced, disciplined and most importantly ABOUT 3% OF OUR FORWARD 50 ENTRIES PUT OUR FORWARDS IN POSITIONS WHERE THEY COULD EVEN TRY AND EARN A CHEAP FREE KICK

Using umpires as an out for any of our losses this year, even as the most minor of reasons, is about as single-brain celled, crayon muncher as you can get.
I disagree. Multiple free kicks paid in front of goal to Melbourne that weren't paid for us. The head high on Tex in the first quarter straight after the gift to Petty is a prime example.

This is a really interesting post

It shows that Melbourne had more stoppage wins in the midfield and half forward that resulted in scores. Even though we won center clearances many of our clearances resulted in turnovers (6 turnover clearances from center bounce!)

Also shows the difference in quality of forward 50 entry. We took our entries from further back and especially when coming from the wing these entries were usually turnovers. In contrast Melbourne worked the ball deeper and had far fewer direct entry turnovers. Just 4 turnover inside 50s for Melbourne versus 13 for us

Melbourne only ended up with 5 more scoring shots though, so where did our scoring come from? It's not like Melbourne were significantly better at scoring on the night, despite these stats.

Melbourne only ended up with 5 more scoring shots though, so where did our scoring come from? It's not like Melbourne were significantly better at scoring on the night, despite these stats.

Of course they were better at scoring

They had 5 more shots from 6 fewer inside 50s. They outscored us from both stoppage and intercept, and did so with fewer disposals. Points to a much more efficient team

We burned the ball, turning it over after winning clearances and upon entering our 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they were better at scoring

They had 5 more shots from 6 fewer inside 50s. They outscored us from both stoppage and intercept, and did so with fewer disposals. Points to a much more efficient team

We burned the ball, turning it over after winning clearances and upon entering our 50
5 more shots is hardly ground breaking stuff, that's why I asked the question where our scores came from.

You know Crows are shit when they have Keays who was delisted from Brisbane, and Burgess who barely could get a game for Gold Coast (one of the worst sides for years) in the main team.

The style of footy does not match the playing group, they're being forced to play a way that doesn't suit them. Nicks needs to come up with another game plan, or get the **** out of the club. Absolutely zero tactic getting the ball inside 50. Just booting it inside 50 and preying someone marks it as they had done for years.

A quote directly from Nick's post match press conference: "We have too many players that aren't at their best". Well why why do you keep putting them in the ****ing side then if they aren't at their best??

5 more shots is hardly ground breaking stuff, that's why I asked the question where our scores came from.

Mostly from turnover

I think letting your opponent have more shots from fewer entries is pretty significant

You know Crows are s**t when they have Keays who was delisted from Brisbane, and Burgess who barely could get a game for Gold Coast (one of the worst sides for years) in the main team.

The style of footy does not match the playing group, they're being forced to play a way that doesn't suit them. Nicks needs to come up with another game plan, or get the * out of the club. Absolutely zero tactic getting the ball inside 50. Just booting it inside 50 and preying someone marks it as they had done for years.

A quote directly from Nick's post match press conference: "We have too many players that aren't at their best". Well why why do you keep putting them in the ******* side then if they aren't at their best??
I wonder if Nicks is actually at the steering wheel.
speeding ticket GIF

Kick straighter in that first quarter and who knows?
So, disappointing we didn’t get a win but completely surprised that it wasn’t the shellacking we all thought it would be.
Jenny, it's good to see your hope and optimism :D have not been as mortar-and-pestled as mine :sadv1:,
BUT
you're forgetting that the Dees kicked 10.18.
14.14 or better and it's the shellacking I expected.
It's absolutely no consolation to me that we could have kicked straighter in that first 1/4.

They got 33 points up and backed off, with 13-odd minutes to play. Crows'd kicked 5 goals to that time.
FIVE GOALS, in 3 and 1/2 quarters of poorly-skilled, awful/wasteful, give-the-ball-away footy.

OK, so last 2 weeks they were woeful; yesterday they were "only" shat.
What's to be cheerful about?
We are devoid of confidence but there are glimpses and passages of play that tell me we aren’t that far away...
Not "far away", from what?
--- another close loss of which we had so many last year? Those were not bad luck; they were a result of bad footy caused by bad Coaching.
--- a narrow win? We're a long way from beating a side like Melbourne who, btw, had to travel twice to AO in a week (2 games in 6 days, 5-day break) after a tough win over PA.
--- Finals? :roflv1::roflv1::roflv1:<== I'm rofling.

jenny61_99 , meet lenny ...
Just dropping in from the Pies side of things to say I thought Mark Keane was exceptional (he was great last week too). I'm glad he's playing such good footy for you guys.

The "free kick" he conceded to Petty was abysmal umpiring – but it showed how impressive he's become. He effortlessly shifted a seasoned AFL tall, completely did him in judging the flight of the ball, and beat him hands-down in a marking contest where Petty was actually initially favoured by the kick.

I hope he keeps dominating down back for you. Big fan.
Like Nicks, another looker-for-the-positives.

We won the centre clearances 12-7.

How Parnell & McHenry spent more time on the ground than Laird & Crouch is mind boggling to me.
Why do previous all Australians sit it out for these types? If Crouch and Laird want to be on the ground get them out there!
Whats the definition of winning a clearance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good, bad, the gallant shat loss - R4 vs Melbourne 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back