Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
can't jab ribs? are you kidding me?
marcaine 35 minutes before the game will last the four quarters. Routinely done at multiple levels, including amateur footy.
intercostal injections are quite simple provided you know what you are doing.
four players had that exact jab before the 2008 GF, yet Hodgey is the only one talked about.
If they could have jabbed his ribs, they simply would have.

They did not.

Adelaide Oval suits us. I reckon we match up very well against Port. They look tired and scared of stuffing up, our boys are just going out there and enjoying playing great footy.

Phillips is the like-for-like, it would make sense for him to come in. It makes sense to make the call early as well and the people saying he's in are people who don't just throw out guesses.

We play well at conventionally sized ovals like the MCG, Adelaide Oval, Docklands, etc.

Where we can struggle is at those sub-sized toy ovals like SCG and Kardinia.

For me that will be the biggest test if/when we play the Swans, adapting our style of game to the SCG.

We get past the Swans and I can't see us losing to the Cats in the wide expanses of the MCG on GF day.

SCG ain't that big of a difference to the MCG these days. Historically play ok there.

We play well at conventionally sized ovals like the MCG, Adelaide Oval, Docklands, etc.

For me that will be the biggest test if/when we play the Swans, adapting our style of game to the SCG.

We get past the Swans and I can't see us losing to the Cats in the wide expanses of the MCG on GF day.
Nailed it. The SCG, not the Swans will be the biggest issue for the Hawks game style. Provided we get there.

I completely agree mate.

Bruest was pretty ineffectual as a sub v Bulldogs. My feeling is that the sub needs to be someone that can come on and add run and fresh legs a bit like Breadan Campbell did for the swans on the weekend. He basically won them the game. I would much rather have ward or Mackenzie as the sub so we can inject them into the midfield to make an impact if needed.

Having a small forward as your sub is completely useless if you’re trying to protect a lead.
Unless that small forward is a 300 game triple premiership player with incredible football nous and the ability to coach on field, is a fierce tackler who gets into the right positions.

That said Gunston and Breust could swap those roles.

But the small forward is useless if you are trying to protect a lead - thats bullshit. If you are trying to "protect" a lead you are in the process of losing. You need to score to protect your lead - its the mistake we made against port last time and it cost the Giants last week.against.the swans. If you are playing good enough footy to get a lead - just continue playing that footy. Dont change what you are doing as the change in mindset.opens the door for the other team

Last edited:

The SCG has a larger playing surface than the Adelaide oval.

The SCG has a larger playing surface than the Adelaide oval.

This. The SCG isn't a ground like Alphabet where they trimmed off a third and then pretend it's an actual footy ground.

Five less meters of width and length won't kill Hok ball, assuming that we do get to the SCG.

Port are not going to roll over like they did against Geelong. They'll come to play, you can't get the bake they've had on repeat and not eventually wind up with smoke coming out your ears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have every reason to feel confident, but don't forget Port beat Swans by over 100+ points at AO not that long ago..

I really hope the players are switched on and don't get sucked into the trap of looking an extra week ahead.

First quarter will be crucial as I think Port will come out brimming, absorb that and silence the tarps..I mean crowd early and that will be the key :muscle:

We have every reason to feel confident, but don't forget Port beat Swans by over 100+ points at AO not that long ago..

I really hope the players are switched on and don't get sucked into the trap of looking an extra week ahead.

First quarter will be crucial as I think Port will come out brimming, absorb that and silence the tarps..I mean crowd early and that will be the key :muscle:
The crowd aspect is going to be fascinating. I've been there when we've been heavily outnumbered, but the regulars don't get their usual seats during finals and it sounds like we're going to be very well represented this time.

Last time v the crows there were easily 10 000 Hawthorn fans there. I'm expecting double that number on Friday.

Fully agree, if we can absorb in the first quarter I will like our chances. Port will look to throw an early punch- we know they will after last weekend, and if they don’t land it the doubt will creep back in.

Yeah, that was the joke.
Similar to someone losing all ability if they have to stand 30m closer to goal.
I'm sure the selection team will know the pros/cons and whoever they select will perform admirably.
Lol i thought so, but wasn't 100% sure if you were joking 🤣

Yep, some ppl are saying Phillips might have 10kgs on Serong, idk about that, but if true he may be the pick

I don't know who I would choose to come in, but with the back line being disturbed now, we need to lock it in our front half more than ever. Sic was instrumental against the doggies in keeping the ball forward. Therefore whoever we bring in should be the player that allows Sic and our other running backs to help keep it out of D50.

People are already forgetting, the entire footy media said 4 days ago that the Dogs were the form team in the comp and flag favourites.

They were the number 1 pressure team in the comp. We absorbed, then returned the favour.

We dismantled them systematically.

Good luck.
The media narrative today has been the same story after every big win we have; what is wrong with the team we beat.

Not many/if any discussing how good we were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back