News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree some of his body language this year was like a petulant child, but I wonder if its a maturity thing with Lance. I dont know what his WA life was like, but there is a reasonable chance he didnt have a lot of adult role models. The club have backed themselves and Lance to get things working so Im sure we will see a very different kid playing in the future.
Well he is a child. Of course it’s a maturity thing.
And possibly/probably being away from home for the longest time he has been before.
Not sure how you can surmise few adult role models though?
The club will look after him
He’ll be fine.

You come across as having a chip on your shoulder or just super quick to write people off to be honest.

Clearly Collard is finding his way still in the AFL but he also showed a lot of talent in his first 12 months.
I am usually the first to defend a player but I am with saintbill, he always looked disinterested and pissed off both at training and for Sandy.
Obviously both saintbill and I were incorrect. He would not have got 3 years if it was true.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Byrnes has improved every year he has been at the club and is now one of our best endurance runners.
Goddard mentioned at the start of the year who impressed him the most during preseason and he said it was Byrnes , knowing this and only just turning 23 the guy could easily have more upside knowing a lot of kids need to get the body strength before they really becoming comfortable.
Comparing him to Billing I would have him any day of the week because you know the effort will be put in.
And Goddard is not easily impressed.

594dd2e8-0531-44fc-b472-c39f14056b20_text.gif

Goddard mentioned at the start of the year who impressed him the most during preseason and he said it was Byrnes

And Goddard is not easily impressed.
Well he does have a point.

bJfIBdJ.gif

Congrats to Jimmy Webster getting a contract extension.

Favourite Tassie Saint.

He's the only decent thing to come out of the Richo era.
Couldn't agree more. He goes under the radar a bit. If he played for a bigger club, and perhaps had better luck with injury earlier in his career, he would've easily made a couple of AA extended squads.
Every coach he's had seems to rate him highly.
Everyone loves JWeb.

Byrnes spent six odd weeks at Sandy where the waterboy resembled more of a footballer than he did. If he’s still around in two seasons time good for him but we’ve been a charity for long enough
So did Phillipou.
It what they did back in the seniors is what matters, or does that not suit an agenda or narrative?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Byrnes spent six odd weeks at Sandy where the waterboy resembled more of a footballer than he did. If he’s still around in two seasons time good for him but we’ve been a charity for long enough
I think that says more about the quality of Sandy than him. He has played 35/47 games in the last 2 years. Sure, he was never best on ground, but he is a fine role player who is not injury prone.
There have been plenty of players in recent times that you could argue the club has been a charity for, but Byrnes on low salary 1 year contracts is not one of them.

Couldn't agree more. He goes under the radar a bit. If he played for a bigger club, and perhaps had better luck with injury earlier in his career, he would've easily made a couple of AA extended squads.
Every coach he's had seems to rate him highly.
Everyone loves JWeb.
I'm sure he still lives rent free in plenty of Norf supporter's heads.

Interesting

Could we take him in the draft as our alignment commitment player?

vG4VNhe.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he is a child. Of course it’s a maturity thing.
And possibly/probably being away from home for the longest time he has been before.
Not sure how you can surmise few adult role models though?
The club will look after him
He’ll be fine.

How many other 18yo kids have you seen carrying on like that in a VFL game? How many 18yo kids have been suspended for 7 weeks for making multiple homophobic comments? A large majority of the 18 year olds in the AFL get there because of their maturity and application, and you can garauntee they have had an exceptionally supportive, nuturing parents and families. Others get selected on their natural abilities and have considerable development needed in other aspects of their life.

I spent 20 years of my working life living in remote and urban communities with the indigineous in northern Oz, I think I have some idea what these kids lives are like. I prefaced the comment that I didnt know what Lance's home life was like, the role model comments was a result of my life experiences which I will lay odds are pretty accurate.

The club are in the best position to support kids like Lance than they have ever been, hopefully he is fine but he has some work to do.

Last edited:
How many other 18yo kids have you seen carrying on like that in a VFL game? How many 18yo kids have been suspended for 7 weeks for making multiple homophobic comments? A large majority of the 18 year olds in the AFL get there because of their maturity and application, and you can garauntee they have had an exceptionally supportive, nuturing parents and families. Others get selected on their natural abilities and have considerable development needed in other aspects of their life.

I spent 20 years of my working life living in remote and urban communities with the indigineous in northern Oz, I think I have some idea what these kids lives are like. I prefaced the comment that I didnt know what Lance's home life was like, the role model comments was a result of my life experiences which I will lay odds are pretty accurate.

The club are in the best position to support kids like Lance than they have ever been, hopefully he is fine but he has some work to do.
I am sure the club knows this , otherwise why give him a 2 year extension. They could ha e waited until mid next year. Orgave him a 1 year extension.

I think that says more about the quality of Sandy than him. He has played 35/47 games in the last 2 years. Sure, he was never best on ground, but he is a fine role player who is not injury prone.
There have been plenty of players in recent times that you could argue the club has been a charity for, but Byrnes on low salary 1 year contracts is not one of them.
Can't say I agree, I think the quality of a footballer is dictated by the quality of football they play regardless of the side they're on.

I wasn't suggesting we'd been charitable with Byrnes, I was saying our past generosity should be learned from. You've described an ordinary player that's been picked 70% of the time despite injuries not interfering with his selection. No one else would be interested in signing him so we have no reason to over-extent

The club announced a group of re-signings last week including Mason Wood and Cooper Sharman, while the girls notched up a win against the Swans to make it 2 from 2 in 2024.

Here's one more before I really should do some proper work. 💩🤨 This one's called Dining Together, it's a bit long, soz.

View attachment Dining Together .mp3

Ross the boss man for the job
We don't need no Rory Lobb
We may spy gaps in the ruck
Just don't buy some old shit truck

Pou on fire burning brightly
Steamed dim sims eaten nightly
Wood's girlfriend only wishes
Nas would clean, do the dishes

Dining together Wang wants wings
Snags ain't into spicy things
Smiling faces fed so true
Mason Wood knows what to do

Ross happy with cheese CC's
He don't need fancy cuisine
Chito's mum with love she cooks
Where to buy one of her books

The flames they rise Pou on fire
Roma's smile heartrates higher
Nas with the bowl in a hurry
Can't get enough of Mason's curry

Rossy he guides us hand in hand
Searching for the Bahn mi stand
Chito's mum katsu so true
Snags and Windy eat there too

Dining together Wang wants wings
Snags ain't into spicy things
Smiling faces fed so true
Mason Wood knows what to do

Last edited:
I spent 20 years of my working life living in remote and urban communities with the indigineous in northern Oz, I think I have some idea what these kids lives are like. I prefaced the comment that I didnt know what Lance's home life was like, the role model comments was a result of my life experiences which I will lay odds are pretty acaccurate.
Cool story man, he's from Perth.

I'm gonna get in trouble because of you!

View attachment Gringo's Dream.mp3

Gringos Dream

V1:
Gringo's dreaming big tonight
Spook is there just out of sight
Goober's eating pie with glee
Matthew Crouch won't let him be

V2:
Rhys the man, Jarryd Lyons
Squeeze the shit out of the Brians
Ethan P here would suggest
Constable must now be next