VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Impossible to know for sure, but there seems to be elements of:

• lack of gut-busting effort - motivation?
  • coaching
  • our top-ups aren’t VFL standard
  • some of our AFL listed players aren’t nearly as good as we’d hoped
I will also add that the top VFL teams usually have players playing at the peak of their careers (especially stand-alone clubs) while AFL-aligned clubs are often playing kids who have potential to pass those players but are not there yet.

I’d add Indhi Kirk to that list.

To my eye, he (Kirk) hasn’t really done a lot to justify the place on the senior list.
With guys like Edwards, it's a matter of whether the club thinks that's as good as he can play or whether there's still growth. Just not sure there's much left in Magor or Vickery, Kirk I'd give another year.

What's more the Zebras game is an 8 point game. They are just above us on the ladder and are the only other team with half a win, like us. If we beat them reasonably solidly we can overtake them on percentage.

In the remaining five matches after that we have two relative easy beats (NMFC, Collingwood) and three matches where we'll be underdogs (Brisbane, Southport and Footscray). I think that to make finals we have to first beat Sandringham and then win 3 of the next 5. I think that will be enough but less probably won't be. This weekend is a non-negotiable, really vital game. The game against NMFC will also be crucial.

One positive is that we play two of the oppo teams that are currently just above us on the ladder (Zebras, Kangas), which means by beating them we can leapfrog them and our destiny is in our hands to a fair degree.

Another big positive for us is that the three teams immediately above us on the ladder (NMFC, Giants, Zebras) all have tougher draws than us (and, besides, the Giants seem a weaker team with inferior percentage).

With guys like Edwards, it's a matter of whether the club thinks that's as good as he can play or whether there's still growth. Just not sure there's much left in Magor or Vickery, Kirk I'd give another year.

I don't know why you think there's less room for growth with Vickery and Magor than with Kirk. Kirk is just four months younger than Vickery. They're both only 19 years old - way too soon to be saying they have peaked. One of the main reasons that I was previously so bullish about Vickery was his huge room for growth. I'm less bullish on him now because he hasn't progressed well this season but I still think he has plenty of room for growth. And, to be fair, I think Magor does too. They're both still relatively physically diminuitive too.

I don't know why you think there's less room for growth with Vickery and Magor than with Kirk. Kirk is just four months younger than Vickery. They're both only 19 years old - way too soon to be saying they have peaked. One of the main reasons that I was previously so bullish about Vickery was his huge room for growth. I'm less bullish on him now because he hasn't progressed well this season but I still think he has plenty of room for growth. And, to be fair, I think Magor does too. They're both still relatively physically diminuitive too.
To be fair, Magor has looked better this year, in particular his one on one defending and tackling. We drafted him as a HF but he's now playing predominantly back. But can you honestly say he would be ready to play AFL for us? I think he still has a way to go.

Vickery had not improved from what I can tell. Has not had a high possession, high influence game at VFL level. Yes, has been injured a bit but after almost 2 years on our list, has not shown at any point during a match which would indicate he will make it. Our footy department obviously has more information on him though so if we keep him, then so be it.

Indhi Kirk has had a few nice moments this year with some clean disposal and moments of toughness which have impressed me. Less than a year in, I can see why we would keep him for another year.

This weekend we're away to the Sandringham Zebras and we play a few hours before the seniors take on St Kilda at Marvel. So, while one hopes we'll be reinforced by the returns of Will Edwards and Pete Ladhams, we'll lose Cleary and another player (Fox?) as an emergency.

I think that in his presser last week Horse indicated Mills would not play this week but will be a test for next week? And is Parker due back next week or is it still too soon? Arnold can't be too far off either. I have no clue what is going on with Sheldrick - they seem to roll a die each week when deciding how many weeks it will be until he returns.

In any event we have zero excuses for not beating the 10th placed Zebras with so many senior players available (apart from apparently shit coaching and sub-par effort from the players). Players like Moi Moi are entitled to feel disgruntled that some of these seniors are getting games ahead of him. How poor an effort would a senior listed player have to give to be dropped from the VFL? I don't think we're quite in that territory but...

I'd like to see Leon Cameron stage an intervention to make sure that the reserves performances improve. He's the footy manager - he's accountable. Something is going wrong and he should be the individual with greatest responsibility for sorting it out (along with the coach but not if the coach is the problem or if factors beyond the coach's control are the problem).
Totally agree about the accountability. The coach was Cameron's appointment and reports to him, not Horse.
IIRC Truslove was on his way back to Vic after the Giants dispensed with his services and Cameron brought him over to the Swans.

Said it before and say it again, Magor and Vickery are being played out of position to their detriment.

Said it before and say it again, Magor and Vickery are being played out of position to their detriment.
What position would you like to see Vickery in as i always thought he was drafted as a lockdown defender and thats why he doesn't "shine" too much because he doesn't get too much of the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What position would you like to see Vickery in as i always thought he was drafted as a lockdown defender and thats why he doesn't "shine" too much because he doesn't get too much of the ball
Every year, there’s a couple of young players that have done their 2 years on the list, haven’t quite made the grade & unfortunately must be de-listed.

It’s a harsh reality - but whilst there will indeed still be growth in Vickery & Magor, it’s hard to see them being offered another contract.

Kirk to my eye has actually shown less than both of them - but has another year to prove himself.

And despite it all - I can’t help but feel none of them have been done many favours by the coaching and strategy.

Every year, there’s a couple of young players that have done their 2 years on the list, haven’t quite made the grade & unfortunately must be de-listed.

It’s a harsh reality - but whilst there will indeed still be growth in Vickery & Magor, it’s hard to see them being offered another contract.

Kirk to my eye has actually shown less than both of them - but has another year to prove himself.

And despite it all - I can’t help but feel none of them have been done many favours by the coaching and strategy.
Yep i have Vickery getting chopped alongside Francis (Both 2 years) because i feel like we are starting to see Edwards and Snell push above Francis and also there is a squeeze on list spots and those two seem to not be improving.

Kirk would probably only be a one year contract being a rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back