VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it was the conditions or feedback from last week, but we were better at keeping possession with our short kicking and moving it upfield.
Agree with this. It certainly look like maintaining possession and trying to work the ball methodically up field was the emphasis after last week's debacle in the wet. Good to see Truslove and team responded and gives me some reassurance.

Most impressive was our defence, in particular Francis and W Edwards intercepting and Magor and Vickery rebounding. Corey W had some good moments where he flashed through and showed a good burst of speed and agility. B Edwards and Mitchell good as usual, Reid building nice, Hannily lively and Hamling a constant threat.

Anyone here know much about Matty Lloyd? I think he's looked very solid at VFL level. Is he someone who could make the jump?

Maybe it was the conditions or feedback from last week, but we were better at keeping possession with our short kicking and moving it upfield.

I fear it was mostly the weaker opposition. I thought we defended reasonably well but still struggle to move the ball upfield. I have some regard for wolftone's comments on this topic. We frequently move the ball slowly or turn it over. We really struggle to move it as effectively as our seniors do against much stronger opposition.

Great game from Francis. Will Edwards returned strongly. Magor and Vickery were better. Konstanty applied good pressure. Green always gives me something to smile about even though he doesn't yet dominate. (Their rucks had the better of ours - but their rucks are more experienced too.) Hanily is going pretty well.

Very important result. Our game against NMFC next week will also be critical. Then we need to take care of Collingwood and upset one of Brisbane, Southport or Footscray (ranked 2nd, 5th and 3rd). It may well all come down to our last round match against the Bulldogs at Tramway.

Slightly odd in my view.

Bartholomeus had 23, Kirk had 9. I thought “The Bartman” was one of our most influential today.

I am starting to wonder about a possible nepotism element at play.
Could be he was given a role to perform on a player (small forward?) and he played that role to the expectation of the coaches.

I was impressed with a few. I thought Hamling was very good. Reid looked like he was moving well and just brings contest in every area, even if he didn't dominate.
Warner was good. Magor and Vickery pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any injuries of note from today? Hoping to get some continuity in that space with our soon to be returning players rather than a case of one in, one out.
I went to the rooms , nothing apparent apart from Hamlings finger

Sydney talls Aaron Francis and Joel Hamling starred as the Swans beat Sandringham by seven point on Sunday.

Francis led the Swans with 26 disposals, 20 of them kicks, and he also had 12 marks in a dominant display.

His tally of 12 marks was bettered only by Hamling, who had 13 to go with 14 disposals and 2.2 in front of goal.

Jake Bartholomaeus was also busy with 23 disposals, nine marks, four tackles and four clearances, while Corey Warner had 22 disposals and a goal as well as four clearances.

Youngsters Jaiden Magor (22 disposals) and Cooper Vickery (20) also had plenty of the ball, while Sam Reid kicked his first goal since returning from injury to go with 15 disposals and six marks.

Young forward Jacob Konstanty had six tackles up forward, a game high.

Coaches Votes

Sandringham 10.8 (68) def by Sydney Swans 11.9 (75)

10 Aaron Francis (SYD)
Seb Ross (SAN)
4 Jake Bartholomaeus (SYD)
Tom Campbell (SAN)
4 Joel Hamling (SYD)
2 Jaiden Magor (SYD)
1 Corey Warner (SYD)

Coaches Votes

Sandringham 10.8 (68) def by Sydney Swans 11.9 (75)

10 Aaron Francis (SYD)
Seb Ross (SAN)
4 Jake Bartholomaeus (SYD)
Tom Campbell (SAN)
4 Joel Hamling (SYD)
2 Jaiden Magor (SYD)
1 Corey Warner (SYD)
That makes far more sense that the “bests” list published post-game.

I would love to know just how much influence Horse and the senior coaching staff have on the reserves side.

I know in some football (soccer) clubs the teams play the same way all the way down so juniors/reserves aren't in entirely different systems if/when they come up.

I would love to know just how much influence Horse and the senior coaching staff have on the reserves side.

I know in some football (soccer) clubs the teams play the same way all the way down so juniors/reserves aren't in entirely different systems if/when they come up.
They would have a big say , but then you look at players like Stephens who never went near the middle in the AFL , but in the VFL he was right in there . The senior coaches would say they want a player played in a position to see how they go , but Truslove would call the shots on game day.
Like your serious posts

They would have a big say , but then you look at players like Stephens who never went near the middle in the AFL , but in the VFL he was right in there . The senior coaches would say they want a player played in a position to see how they go , but Truslove would call the shots on game day.
Like your serious posts
I know it's a bit different, but we have a number of young kids at my local club who are also on VFL lists. Every now and then they are not selected so return to us, however their VFL coach requests that they play in certain positions (for whatever reason). It kills us, because we have a good KPD who would help our defence enormously, but his VFL coach insisted that we give him a run as a forward. We have to do it because it's in his best interest and we have to give a report on it, but it doesn't help our team at all.
Id say there is a fair element of this between the seniors and the 2s at the swans as well.

In an ideal world you’d have the two teams playing an identical style. But our AFL style relies on gut running from all 22 players and a high degree of skill by foot. When half the team doesn’t even have “average” foot skills (and no one approaches an Errol or Isaac) and few have the ability to run and run and run, the result is not going to be the same.

Something’s going on…

INS: Harry Arnold, Peter Ladhams, Angus Sheldrick, Willem Smit, Sam Wicks
OUTS: Jordan Endemann, Ben Ashley-Cooper, Byron Laws, Phil Moi Moi, Jacob Konstanty

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back