VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like some positive signs?m (I’m not really fussed with wins for the ressies)
On the contrary I didn't think much of today's performances from anyone besides Vickery and Hanily, and I think our burst of goals late showed what some of our players are capable of but don't produce anywhere near often enough.

I wonder what it feels like to kick a winning goal post siren?

Interesting the number of times from distance our players are quick to signal the will take the shot, without considering anything. I suspect this grilled in to them to take responsibility? Not sure but we saw it twice in quick succession there w the last two shots to hit the front.

Well, another disappointing VFL outing.

Francis was good, Vickery one of his better games, Hanily offered spark.

Sheldrick struggled to break the Phillips tag - but good to see him back.

Cleary ok-ish.

Corey lively early but faded.

Reid did some classy things.

However….

Will Edwards not one of his better games.

Indhi Kirk looks out of his depth even at VFL level.

Magor, Hamling, Ladhams were a bit disappointing.

Will Green needs time, but it’d nice to see some flashes from him.

Most of all though - the team just looks chaotic and disjointed. I seriously question Truslove’s tenure. Development in the VFL is important for our young players.

Our club, at the moment, can't defend to save themselves.
From top to bottom.
Off the field & on the field.
We can't defend most entries into our back 50.
We can't defend our players at the tribunal.
We can't defend our people in the media.

I'm sure by year's end we will get it better to be a participant in the finals.
But whatever happens today against North, it won't be anything convincing if watching the way our reserves went about it has anything to do with.
I always like to see how reserves go for teams when judging how the seniors finish.
None of those boys are providing pressure to the senior group IMO.

Sadly, maybe only Sam Reid looks likely to be the only one.

Well, another disappointing VFL outing.

Francis was good, Vickery one of his better games, Hanily offered spark.

Sheldrick struggled to break the Phillips tag - but good to see him back.

Cleary ok-ish.

Corey lively early but faded.

Reid did some classy things.

However….

Will Edwards not one of his better games.

Indhi Kirk looks out of his depth even at VFL level.

Magor, Hamling, Ladhams were a bit disappointing.

Will Green needs time, but it’d nice to see some flashes from him.

Most of all though - the team just looks chaotic and disjointed. I seriously question Truslove’s tenure. Development in the VFL is important for our young players.

18 AFL listed players looking like a rabble.

Sack Truslove thread anyone?

Indhi Kirk has had a complete shocker.

I agree it was another disappointing VFL outing. Especially the first half. We really needed that win.

To be fair, they had a very strong team today and they played well. We didn't take our chances and we had too many lapses with our defence, our ball use, our skills, and our discipline. At least we were in it to the end.

At half-time I was ropeable and very ready to blame Truslove and the coaches. But then I had a good chat to one of the VFL boys and I got a different perspective. He was full of praise for Truslove. Said he was fantastic. Said he makes time to spend with all of them each week. Apparently he's also good on game day and "very thorough" in preparing everyone to go out and play their roles. I said words to the effect of "what about this dross [meaning the game we were watching]?" and he said we're getting the shots, we're just not taking our chances. I don't totally buy that. They defended much better than we did when the ball came inside 50 and also our ball use going inside 50 often left a lot to be desired (especially in the first half we seemed to turn it over mercilessly). But it was enough to make me reconsider my lynch Truslove sentiments.

I agree with most of yours (and others') observations, DQ. I don't agree that "Magor, Hamling and Ladhams were a bit disappointing". Magor was ok. Hamling was let down by the service he received. Ladhams was actually pretty good, I thought. Nor did Kirk have a shocker. He was serviceable and defended better than most.

Wicks was awful with his ball use today. Didn't do that great a job applying pressure either. He's not going to get back into seniors if he keeps playing like that.

Edwards didn't have one of his better games. Interesting to see him not only forward but he also lined up on the wing for one centre bounce.

Ben Edwards was unusually quiet, which was a real pity. I wonder if he's carrying an injury.

Hamish Morrison did not have a great game (sorry rustycrate ). He didn't defend well and often seemed a bit at sea. His teammates didn't pass him the ball much but I'm not sure if that's a knock on them or him or just his role in the team.

Harrison Arnold didn't have a good comeback game but it was his first game back so we'll have to cut him some slack.

Lloyd, Hanily, Vickery were all good. Smit also stood up and kicked a couple of vital goals to kickstart our comeback.

Snell is out with hamstring issues.

I agree that Laws has done well locking down in defence but he doesn't offer the same intercept and rebound so I don't especially see him as a replacement for Francis if Francis is suspended. Snell would be better but I have no idea if he'll be back. Normally hamstrings seem to be more than one week. But we still have Arnold, Edwards and also Reid and Hamling so hopefully we'll have enough KPP depth.

One player who has gone a little unnoticed but who I thought played better than his stats was Caleb Mitchell. Being at the game it was impressive how hard he worked. He continually ran and ran to get himself free in dangerous positions on the outside, and he also ran and ran to get back in defence. That latter point especially makes me very bullish about him having a future at senior level even if his skills aren't especially silky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it was another disappointing VFL outing. Especially the first half. We really needed that win.

To be fair, they had a very strong team today and they played well. We didn't take our chances and we had too many lapses with our defence, our ball use, our skills, and our discipline. At least we were in it to the end.

At half-time I was ropeable and very ready to blame Truslove and the coaches. But then I had a good chat to one of the VFL boys and I got a different perspective. He was full of praise for Truslove. Said he was fantastic. Said he makes time to spend with all of them each week. Apparently he's also good on game day and "very thorough" in preparing everyone to go out and play their roles. I said words to the effect of "what about this dross [meaning the game we were watching]?" and he said we're getting the shots, we're just not taking our chances. I don't totally buy that. They defended much better than we did when the ball came inside 50 and also our ball use going inside 50 often left a lot to be desired (especially in the first half we seemed to turn it over mercilessly). But it was enough to make me reconsider my lynch Truslove sentiments.

I agree with most of yours (and others') observations, DQ. I don't agree that "Magor, Hamling and Ladhams were a bit disappointing". Magor was ok. Hamling was let down by the service he received. Ladhams was actually pretty good, I thought. Nor did Kirk have a shocker. He was serviceable and defended better than most.

Wicks was awful with his ball use today. Didn't do that great a job applying pressure either. He's not going to get back into seniors if he keeps playing like that.

Edwards didn't have one of his better games. Interesting to see him not only forward but he also lined up on the wing for one centre bounce.

Ben Edwards was unusually quiet, which was a real pity. I wonder if he's carrying an injury.

Hamish Morrison did not have a great game (sorry rustycrate ). He didn't defend well and often seemed a bit at sea. His teammates didn't pass him the ball much but I'm not sure if that's a knock on them or him or just his role in the team.

Harrison Arnold didn't have a good comeback game but it was his first game back so we'll have to cut him some slack.

Lloyd, Hanily, Vickery were all good. Smit also stood up and kicked a couple of vital goals to kickstart our comeback.

Snell is out with hamstring issues.

I agree that Laws has done well locking down in defence but he doesn't offer the same intercept and rebound so I don't especially see him as a replacement for Francis if Francis is suspended. Snell would be better but I have no idea if he'll be back. Normally hamstrings seem to be more than one week. But we still have Arnold, Edwards and also Reid and Hamling so hopefully we'll have enough KPP depth.

One player who has gone a little unnoticed but who I thought played better than his stats was Caleb Mitchell. Being at the game it was impressive how hard he worked. He continually ran and ran to get himself free in dangerous positions on the outside, and he also ran and ran to get back in defence. That latter point especially makes me very bullish about him having a future at senior level even if his skills aren't especially silky.
The players may indeed like Truslove.

He may be a terrific bloke & a good man-manager.

But ultimately, results matter. Today, we had 18 AFL listed players up against a side that has only won 2 games.

Week after week, it feels like our VFL side underperforms. The coach has to bear some responsibility for that.

I do stand by my statement that quite a few players were disappointing. After all, if most of our players were good, we’d have won!

You & I evidently see Kirk a bit differently. To my eye, Hansen Jr had him on toast…. but granted, you were at the game, so will have some insight I don’t get by watching on TV.

Last edited:
The players may indeed like Truslove.

He may be a terrific bloke & a good man-manager.

But ultimately, results matter. Today, we had 18 AFL listed players up against a side that has only won 2 games.

Week after week, it feels like our VFL side underperforms. The coach has to bear some responsibility for that.

I do stand by my statement that quite a few players were disappointing. After all, if most of our players were good, we’d have won!

You & I evidently see Kirk a bit differently. To my eye, Hansen Jr had him on toast…. but granted, you were at the game, so will have some insight I don’t get by watching on TV.

You are underestimating NMFC's VFL team. NMFC have won 7 games this season (not 2) and for much of that time they've had a lot of players out injured.

More pertinently, today NMFC had as many AFL listed players as we did (including at least half a dozen first round draft picks - whereas Green and Francis were our only first round draft picks playing).

But I do agree that week after week it feels as if our team has underperformed and hasn't played very cohesively. And the coaches do have to bear some responsibility for that.

You are underestimating NMFC's VFL team. NMFC have won 7 games this season (not 2) and for much of that time they've had a lot of players out injured.

More pertinently, today NMFC had as many AFL listed players as we did (including at least half a dozen first round draft picks - whereas Green and Francis were our only first round draft picks playing).

But I do agree that week after week it feels as if our team has underperformed and hasn't played very cohesively. And the coaches do have to bear some responsibility for that.
Apologies, my error with the 2 vs 7 wins. No idea where I came up with that one.

The VFL side just frustrates me. Even decent AFL players seem to become mediocre as soon as they enter Tramway oval.

I don’t care about VFL premierships. But I do care if our young players aren’t gaining the best possible development opportunity.

And at the moment, I’m just not sure they are.

Apologies, my error with the 2 vs 7 wins. No idea where I came up with that one.

The VFL side just frustrates me. Even decent AFL players seem to become mediocre as soon as they enter Tramway oval.

I don’t care if we don’t win VFL premierships. But I do care if our young players aren’t gaining the best possible development opportunity.

And at the moment, I’m just not sure they are.
Seem to play worse out there

Sam Reid continued to build on his return from injury as Sydney lost to North Melbourne by five points on Saturday.

Reid gathered 19 disposals and had six marks and kicked two goals in the Swans' loss.

Aaron Francis was busy with 22 disposals and Corey Warner had 19 to go with his seven tackles.

Youngster Caiden Cleary fought hard with 15 disposals and nine tackles and Peter Ladhams had 12 disposals, 15 hitouts and kicked a goal.

Angus Sheldrick (15 disposals), Indhi Kirk (13) and Jaiden Magor (17) were solid, while Joel Hamling kicked one goal from 11 touches.

Dropped from the senior side, Sam Wicks had 12 disposals.

Sam Reid continued to build on his return from injury as Sydney lost to North Melbourne by five points on Saturday.

Reid gathered 19 disposals and had six marks and kicked two goals in the Swans' loss.

Aaron Francis was busy with 22 disposals and Corey Warner had 19 to go with his seven tackles.

Youngster Caiden Cleary fought hard with 15 disposals and nine tackles and Peter Ladhams had 12 disposals, 15 hitouts and kicked a goal.

Angus Sheldrick (15 disposals), Indhi Kirk (13) and Jaiden Magor (17) were solid, while Joel Hamling kicked one goal from 11 touches.

Dropped from the senior side, Sam Wicks had 12 disposals.

Shit report Hanily no mention for 3 goals , surely we have to do better

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back