List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

PlayerOriginal ClubTrade/FANew ClubResult
Daniel RioliRichmondTradeGold CoastGold Coast receive Richmond's Daniel Rioli, R4 (51,61,70,76) Picks
Richmond receive GC's R1(6), R2(23) Picks
Shai BoltonRichmondTradeFremantleFremantle receive Richmond's Shai Bolton, R1(14), 2025 R3 Pick.
Richmond receive Fremantle's R1(10,11,18) Picks
Harry SharpBrisbane & MelbourneTradeMelbourneMelbourne receives Brisbane's Harry Sharp, 2025 R3 pick (tied to Brisbane)
Brisbane receives Melbourne's 2024 R3(49), 2025 R3 pick (tied to Essendon).
Dan Houston
Jack Lukosius
Joe Richards
Rory Atkins
John Noble
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Collingwood
TradeCollingwood
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide receives GC's R1(13),GC R2(29,36), GC R3(50) Picks, Jack Lukosius, Joe Richards, Rory Atkins
Gold Coast receives Collingwood's 2025 F1, PA's 2025 F1, PA R2(39)
Collingwood receive Dan Houston, PA R4(58)
Matt Owies
Liam Baker
Carlton & RichmondTradeWest CoastRound 1 pick (3), Round 4 (63,68) to Carlton
Round 1 Pick (14) to Richmond
Round 1 Pick(12), R4 (73) to WCE
Liam Baker to WCE
Matt Owies to WCE
Isaac CummingGWSUFAAdelaideEnd of Round 1 Compo (pick 21) to GWS
Josh BattleSt KildaUFAHawthornRound 1 Compo (Pick 8) to St.Kilda
Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Brisbane Lions trade Harry Sharp and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Brisbane) to Melbourne for its 2024 Round 3 pick (currently 49) and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Essendon).
-----------------
Collingwood get Houston and Pick 58 and give up: a future first round pick, Joe Richards to Port and John Noble to Gold Coast

Port get Jack Lukosius, Richards, Rory Atkins, picks 13, 29, 36 and 50 in this year’s draft while letting Houston go to Collingwood, their future first round pick, pick 39 in this year’s goes to Gold Coast and pick 58 goes to Collingwood.

Gold Coast get Noble, a future first round pick from each of Collingwood and Port Adelaide, and pick 39 (received from Port), while the Suns send Lukosius and Atkins, picks 13, 29 and 50 to Port Adelaide.
-------------
St Kilda trade its Round Two selection (currently 27) to the Brisbane Lions for its Round Two selection (currently 32) and its Round Three selection (currently 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
----------
Three club trade approved.Richmond trade Liam Baker to the West Coast Eagles.West Coast Eagles trade its Round One selection (currently 3) and both its Round Four selections (currently 63 and 68) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft to Carlton.
Carlton trade Matthew Owies, its Round One selection (currently 12) and its Round Four selection (currently 73) to West Coast Eagles. Carlton trade its Round One selection (currently 14 ) to Richmond.
----------
Melbourne trade its two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 28 and 40), two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 46 and 54), its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 65) and its 2025 Round 1 selection to Essendon.
Essendon trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 9) and its 2025 Round 3 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively to Melbourne.
---------
Melbourne trade its 2025 Round 3 selection to the Adelaide Crows for its 2024 Round 3 selection (currently 46) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
---------
Carlton trade its 2024 Round 2 selection (currently 34) and 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 66) to Brisbane for its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 73) and 2025 Round 2 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Carlton trade its 2025 Round 1 selection and 2025 Round 2 selection (tied to Carlton) to Hawthorn for its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 14) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

Last edited:

Whats a realistic outcome if we floated 2 and F1 ?

Assuming only 2 potential buyers in Richmond or Melbourne?

I would hope 6 included as a minimum and 3 picks in total inside 20 for that?

The last 5 players taken at pick 25.

Would you trade Caleb Daniel for them?

2023 - Harry Demattia (Coll)
2022 - Lewis Hayes (*)
2021 - Mitch Knevitt (Geel)
2020 - Brayden Cook (Adel)
2019 - Jackson Mead (PA)

The last 5 players taken at pick 25.

Would you trade Caleb Daniel for them?

2023 - Harry Demattia (Coll)
2022 - Lewis Hayes (*)
2021 - Mitch Knevitt (Geel)
2020 - Brayden Cook (Adel)
2019 - Jackson Mead (PA)

It’s a flawed argument.

For starters, different clubs would pick different players at the same pick.

Secondly, none of those picks were pick 25 pre draft, so irrelevant anyway.

Looks slightly different if the names are Logan Morris, Lachie Cowen, Erroll Gulden, Connor MacDonald, Charlie Comben who were taken a few picks after it in that same time period.

It’s a flawed argument.

Looks slightly different if the names are Logan Morris, Lachie Cowen, Erroll Gulden, Connor MacDonald, Charlie Comben who were taken a few picks after it in that same time period.

It’s totally the opposite of a flawed argument. It shows draft picks in that range are totally hit and miss

View attachment 2145196

How about Character Incorporated?

Daniel was told as a kid he was tool small and was wasting his time pursuing his dream and some of us had backed a truck up for Xerri before this year.

If I were a younger player looking to be inspired when things are looking tough during games I'd look no further than these two and they can actually play the game too.

The days of expecting young players to be inspired by property portfolios or Birdcage appearances from our leaders needs to end.

It’s a flawed argument.

As someone who isn’t a fan of the trade, what is your pass mark now for Daniel?

What does he need to provide in the next 3-4 years, for you to look back on this trade and think ‘god, that ended up being a good trade for north’.

Will whoever gets picked at 25 come into that pass mark?

The three established players we’ve bought in all improve our side. An overpay here or there won’t matter if it leads to wins on the field. Hopefully we get a fair deal for pick 2. Other clubs are not giving us too many wins on or off the field atm though, so I won’t hold my breath.

Herald Sun's take on our trades.

IN: Jack Darling (West Coast), Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs), Luke Parker (Sydney), Jacob Konstanty (Sydney)
OUT: Nil
2024 PICKS: 2, 62
2025 PICKS: No change
Brady Rawlings started the trade period wanting four players and he got four players, just not the best one he wanted. Dan Houston is missing from North Melbourne’s plans, with Jacob Konstanty thrown in late. The Roos didn’t want to dip too far into their draft hand – they put a full hand in like a kid reaching into a showbag. Now they surely have to split pick two and gain a better footprint. How does Jack Darling help? Luke Parker has been brought in for experience, Caleb Daniel couldn’t make it work this year at the Dogs and Konstanty was about to be cut. It may be harsh but these moves on their own don’t make the Roos much better and now they don’t have much draft capital left.
RATING: 3.5/10

I'll let Horace be the judge.

I can't believe SpiderBurton22 brought up a food reference in such a momentous thread as this in any case. What was he thinking?

It was actually Lomas who bought it up.

I've always known them as nibble pies, going back to a young kid in the 70's. Like hurricane I have memories of going to my grandmother's and walking across the road to the hospital, not visit anyone but to buy their nibbles pies that they'd bake fresh every morning at their canteen. They were better than Chitticks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN: Jack Darling (West Coast), Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs), Luke Parker (Sydney), Jacob Konstanty (Sydney)
Brady Rawlings started the trade period wanting four players and he got four players, just not the best one he wanted. Dan Houston is missing from North Melbourne’s plans, with Jacob Konstanty thrown in late. The Roos didn’t want to dip too far into their draft hand – they put a full hand in like a kid reaching into a showbag. Now they surely have to split pick two and gain a better footprint. How does Jack Darling help? Luke Parker has been brought in for experience, Caleb Daniel couldn’t make it work this year at the Dogs and Konstanty was about to be cut. It may be harsh but these moves on their own don’t make the Roos much better and now they don’t have much draft capital left.

Yet the same publication rates us on the digital platform as a B+

Richmond IF they really want the first two choices in this national draft >>>>>>>St Kilda, get an absolute gun midfielder to join some of their other youngsters >>>>>>>Melbourne will get one of the elite six, but which one? The one they get, another interesting question pops up, where is HE on their talent board? How does those first two questions compare to getting the player on top of THEIR WHITEBOARD and in doing so not only trumping other rivals but getting their main target. This is just a small sample of teams HOT ON A CERTAIN PLAYER, supporters of other clubs and like us, often get it wrong about what their club will do and wont do, a little example is what happened at West Coast with what that club did, not one supporter on that board in a serious manner that I know of predicted the carnage that would soon follow.
The Tigers are very keen on a few of the top prospects so I wouldn't be surprised if they were interested in a pick swap.

Jagga Smith is so Richmond that he went to kindergarten just off Bridge Road and Sam Lalor seems very keen to be the next Dusty.

End of the day it's whether the Tigers are desperate for 2 of the top 4.

If we don't get a pick swap done I'd hope we get one of the tall mids (Lalor, Langford) but ideally I'd hope for a pick swap and get two of Armstrong, Tauru, and Trainor.

The lad has clearly paid no attention to how woeful our on field leadership has been for the last 5 years.

In essence, we've spent pick 25 to acquire all that experience ( forget a junk pick like 44) and kept pick 2 and our F1.

All the growth that will come to first rounders like LDU, Harry,George, Kerch, Duursma, W Dawson, Hardeman, and one or two this year will far outweigh the benefits of one kid at pick 25.

Who pays these blokes?

Last edited:

What does he need to provide in the next 3-4 years, for you to look back on this trade and think ‘god, that ended up being a good trade for north’.

The Roos are competitive every game and deliver 6+ wins next season due to the trio of Darling, Daniel, and Parker.

If we get to start singing the song at home games next season I won't give a toss about pick 25.

It was actually Lomas who bought it up.

I've always known them as nibble pies, going back to a young kid in the 70's. Like hurricane I have memories of going to my grandmother's and walking across the road to the hospital, not visit anyone but to buy their nibbles pies that they'd bake fresh every morning at their canteen. They were better than Chitticks.
To be honest, like dim Sims, pies aren't my thing. The last pie I bought was in 1968. I have had a couple since then, both in unavoidable situations in the early 1980s. So perhaps I didn't notice the "nibbles" terminology.

I do think that in the context of the 2024 trade period, the party pie reference could catch on and it would be perfect for Caleb Daniel to henceforth be known to North bigfooty fans as "Nibbles".

I'm not who you directed it to but it's an interesting question.

If a key position player or small forward available at 25 goes gangbusters over their career, and we're still struggling to fill that hole, then CD has to do an awful lot to make this trade worth it. An AA over the next 4 as a minimum.

If a KPP or small forward is taken who is better than average, then at least two top 3 best and fairest finishes.

If nothing worthwhile is taken after 25 then I'd want to see CD provide some good leader, and place well (top 8 or so) in the Syd.

My aversion to the trade is that 25 in this draft has a lot more value for us given the amount of key position players available so there's a premium to pay for that, but it is highly dependent on who after that pick does anything.

The Age ranked our trade season the 6th best.

6. North Melbourne​

In: Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs/trade), Jack Darling (West Coast/trade), Jacob Konstanty (Sydney/trade), Luke Parker (Sydney/trade)
Out: Picks 25, 44 and 67
Draft picks: 2, 62
Trade grade: B+

It’s tough being North Melbourne in this era, as they fill the club with young talent but struggle to get in the frame for elite talent. However, this was a good trade period for them despite Dan Houston making it clear he did not want to join the Roos, who remained somewhat in the hunt until Monday afternoon. They convinced West Coast premiership forward Jack Darling to come for pick 67 to support Nick Larkey, and Sydney champion Luke Parker for much-needed leadership, although they had to release pick 44 to the Swans, who always play hard. Scoring small forward Jacob Konstanty in the Parker deal was shrewd business, given he was a No.20 pick two years ago. Handing over pick 25 for Caleb Daniel may seem a tad rich, but they wanted experience and went out and got it. Keep a watch on North Melbourne’s pick two, which they may try to split into multiple assets.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back